Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 23, 2007, 3:44 PM   #1

Hello all:

I purchased an Xacti C40 to try out, and really like the unit. With all the new units arriving, I am deciding wether to keep or return. I am looking for comments from anyone who has upfraded from a C40, to some other unit.

I don't have a HD TV, so I'm not convinced the H2 is the right way to go. I would like some better low light, and see the C6 and HD1a may offer some improvements.

I originally purchsed to try and work on some short how to videos, but then started to read about the issues with editing mpg4. I just bought the new Panasonic 3CCD miniDV, and feel that will suit my project better.

However, once you hold one of the Sanyo units...... it's tough to let go. Not having any hands on experience with the other models, I'm hoping on some input from the group.

Thanks in advance
GaryRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2007, 6:28 AM   #2

Well Gary,I have been watching this thread waiting for someone to answer your questions. I just moved from a Aiptek MPVR to a Sanyo C40 and that was a huge leap in video quality. But I know that is not what you asked. But I can say that Adobe Premiere Elements will edit MPeg4. I just did a DVD of our last vacation and I didn't have any problems editing the clips I took. The only complaint I have with Premiere Elements is the editing display window is not updated in a timely manor. It is jerky and does not keep up with the sound. But you can do frame by frame stepping to get to an edit point.
fuzzy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:27 AM   #3

Well - ran out of time as we are going on vacation. I returned the C40, and will be watching for feedback on the newer units. From my research, I purchsed a Panasonic MiniDV camera. There is no interpolated frames on that video once transferred.

I did have good luck editing the C40 video, so I am anxious to see more ont eh new cameras. I will end up with either a CG6 or CG5 I guess - will look at the HD2 as it has an external mic input - but I don't have an HD TV right now.
GaryRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:57 AM   #4

I also went from an Aiptek to a Sanyo C40. I agree with fuzzy, that the Sanyo is more polished in terms of video quality compared to the Aiptek, although to be fair, the Aiptek ain't a bad machine.

One of the reasons I got the C40 instead of say a C6 was that it was half the price at the time and I couldn't see enough of a difference in the video quality to justify getting a C6. The HD models are still overpriced in my opinion. They will eventually come down though and I'll think about getting one then.

I used my C40 on a trip to the UK. It suits me fine, as I tend to use it as the video equivalent of a snapshot camera. I rarely edit video, as it I find it tedious and don't see the point most of the time. I just archive them as they are. The only time I do editing is when I need to email clips to friends.

The Sanyo, being pocketable, is something you can just slip in your pocket and be ready to take video at any opportune moment. A regular camcorder, no matter how small they are, just isn't pocketable, so it doesn't have the same spontaneity. Also using memory cards is more convenient for me, ie no messing with tapes. I also tend to shoot video in short bursts so find the separate files more convenient than trying to capture a miniDV and split the file up.

If you want something more 'professional' then this may not be for you, but if like me, you like a decent spontaneous camera for general use and vacations, then it works well. Overall, so far, I am quite pleased with my Sanyo C40.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 12:28 PM   #5

I agree 100% with rgvcam about being spontaneous. While walking the beach we happened on a crab feeding on the beach. With my trusty C40 in my pocket I got some great video to share with friends and family. Any other larger camcorder would have been back in the condo.

I like to create DVD's of my vacations which include adding music and still pictures to the video. But I do agree it takes time to go through all the clips and picturesto put something together. But the finished product is more enjoyable to watch.
fuzzy29 is offline   Reply With Quote