Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:59 PM   #11

my pleasure. btw... i am loving having this camera.
jgoldstein2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 12:28 PM   #12

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
[...]I posted a link to the new SD-Card based 3-CCD HD Panasonic at a local store[...]
Perhaps it looked like spam? But holdoff on the Pana SDC-SD1, Pana has just announced thebetterSDC-SD3 (~$1200). I wonder if the Pana and Sanyoare even in the same category, the Pana sounds great, but I see it asacamcorderrather than a shirt-pocket hybrid and it does cost twice as much as the HD2 (~$599). The HD2 has a 7MP sensor for stills making it a true digicam hybrid whereas the Pana has a 0.5MP sensor,uses "pixel shifting" to produce 2MP stills (andAkihabaranews says they'rebad; they also mention the SD1 needs lots of light for video). The Panamight beagoodvideo recorder, with bigger lenses and 3CCDs,but also editing that 1080 AVCHD isdifficult at best with todays computers (Apple is considering adding dedicated AVC chips to future Macs), whereas the HD2's 720 HDMPEG-4 editsreasonably well (strange that Pana doesn't support less than 1080 resolutions?). BTW, for your interest,I noticedin acamcorder forum someonemoaned that the SDC-SD1 only worked with SDHC 4GB cards, not with their SD 4GB cards.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 10:44 PM   #13

Hi, when did you get it?

I ordered mine on Amazon, so should get it soon. I'll check to see if I also have that problem. There is a holster available on amazon as well, as polaroid lens, uv lens, lens adapter, wide angle lens, and zoom lens (please refer to my other thread). I bought all of these, but I have to wait till I get it. I heard the holster was very good quality.
projectcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 11:26 PM   #14

i just ordered the holster and the wide angle lens. I am pretty sure you will have the same zooming issue... it seems to be the way it shoots hd... let me know. thanks.
jgoldstein2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:41 AM   #15

Caelum,
I had said pretty well the same as you did in my post about the Pana which was deleted

My interest in the Pana is primarily in defining the low-light point for us to be expecting from these camcorders. It is actually quite small, and light, fitting into a hand, but the better lens makes it fatter (and lets in more light to the CCD, I hope). Anyway, I will let you know what I think.

At the moment, with my C6, I am first converting from the MP4 to DV with MPEGstreamclip, and then editing. This gives MUCH higher quality than importing the MP4 into Vegas. This workflow is great in SD, but I will lose resolution in HD. Nevertheless, I was thinking of using a similar workflow with AVC, to get over the speed issues...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 7:09 AM   #16

you will need the lens adapter too to connect the lens to the hd2.
projectcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 8:28 AM   #17

Quick question regarding the HD2...

It has a mode "(TV-SDV) 720 x 480 (30fps, 3.5Mbps)". Is this widescreen? I'm thinking it should be, and should match DVD resolution, yes?

Thanks.
metamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:14 PM   #18

metamatic wrote:
Quote:
Quick question regarding the HD2...

It has a mode "(TV-SDV) 720 x 480 (30fps, 3.5Mbps)". Is this widescreen? I'm thinking it should be, and should match DVD resolution, yes?

Thanks.
It is also called "D1" resolution and is the resolution used for DVD. While it is wider than VGA's aspect ratio (4:3) with a 3:2 ratio, it is not true widescreen which has a 16:9 aspect ratio.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:02 PM   #19

Old HACer wrot
Quote:
It is also called "D1" resolution and is the resolution used for DVD. While it is wider than VGA's aspect ratio (4:3) with a 3:2 ratio, it is not true widescreen which has a 16:9 aspect ratio.
I find this kinda hard to believe. Since all TVs are either 16:9 or 3:2, what use would a 4:3 video mode be?

I was hoping it would match anamorphic DVD, i.e. be a 16:9 image scaled to 720x480. That way I could get a widescreen image without having to spend all the CPU time to downscale 720p to DVD resolution...
Old May 3, 2007, 10:04 AM   #20

Well, I bought the camera, so to answer my own question:

The 720x480 mode is 3:2, it's basically pixel-for-pixel the same as non-widescreen DV. Presumably it's there so you can shoot regular video and convert to DV without any nasty scaling artifacts.

Me, I'm going to shoot in HD then downscale to widescreen DV.