Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 30, 2007, 6:35 PM   #1

Question for those wiser than me...

I noticed that when switching from SD to HD mode the field of view is much narrower (it is zoomed in). Does this make sense? I don't like this as I have to be farther away from my subject in HD mode and I need more light.

Also, can i get any UV filter (49 mm?) or do I need something special for the Xacti?

Any camera bags that are small that anyone recommends?

Thank in advance!

Jeremy
jgoldstein2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:04 AM   #2

The HD mode resolution is 1280 X 720 pixels, which makes the aspect ratio (width/ height) 1.77778 (or 16:9). SD mode resolution is 640 X 480 pixels, with an aspect ratio of 1.33333 (or 4:3).

The camera's LCD screen is designed to fit the "standard" resolution (4:3). Therefore, fitting a wider 16:9 video onto the screen leaves some black unused parts above and below the movie. This is probably what you described as "zoomed in". This has nothing to do with the final resolution and quality of the video in either modes.

I don't see Sanyo selling lens filters as an accessories, and I also don't see any third-party manufacturers do so. This may be because the accessory tele and wide angle converters fit onto the HD like a hood, unlike more traditional camera converters that are screwed onto the threads in front of the camera lens. I don't think the HD series camera lens has threads to take filters. Looks like you are out of luck.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:11 AM   #3

Sanyo sells a 49mm filter adapter that slips over the lens. You can order it from Amazon.com
psphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:48 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses.

The HD issue I was referring to is more than just on the screen. The actual video is zoomed in. If I put the camera on a tripod and shoot in SD then in HD, the HD video will be closer to the subject (pretty dramatically). It seems really strange to me... it also seems like i need much more light to shoot in the HD mode (like a 35 mm camera that is zoomed in). Sorry if I am not explaining this well.

I shot outside today and was much happier... imovie also had no problem with them at all.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 1:20 PM   #5

Could it be the digital image stabilization that is giving the zoomed in look? Try turning off the digital image stabilization to see.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 12:27 AM   #6

If anyone wants to see clips they are available from my blog: www.goldyworld.com
Old Apr 2, 2007, 8:53 PM   #7

Did somebody delete the post I left about low-light performance?
Sincerely
Trevor

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:11 PM   #8

it wasn't me
Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:49 PM   #9

come on jgoldstein2000... we know it was you, admit it! :-) Just kidding! I think only a moderator, the computer (having a bad day)...or a hacker could've done that. I hope it's just a glitch.

By the way, thanks for posting the sample HD2 video jg2k!
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:56 PM   #10

Guys, I was probably a bit flustered this afternoon. I posted a link to the new SD-Card based 3-CCD HD Panasonic at a local store, and I guess somebody didn't understand why it was relevant to the HD2 discussion - the relevance is, IMO, that we still need to define the low-light performance that we should have as expectation for this HD class of camcorder, and here was a new one arriving in the stores...

I will go down to my local Frys and check the new Pana against my C6 as soon as I get a spare moment...

Thanks for the community support

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote