Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:20 AM   #91

Hey Bob, VS11 is a bit slow at rendering but it also depends on what you are rendering to. I usually render to a DVD compliant mpeg2 files and it does take time, if a clip is 5 mins it might take 10-15 mins to render. it also depends on what filters you have applied, this can take a while. I didnt get any errors at all and I've used it quite a bit now.

I did some tests and found the following, the h264 file directly from the camera is great quality, when converted to avi (no cpmpression) the quality is as good but file sizes are massive, when you start using compression the quality reduces dramatically.

I found the best results encoding to mpeg2 with a bit rate of 15000, the quality of the envoded clip is as good as the H264 and file size is much smaller than uncompressed avi.

Another good noise removal tool is neativideo, it does a fantastic job but you cant use it is VS11, virtualdub is what I used and added it as a plugin. Its expensive to buy but you can get it if you want, wink wink. Again virtualdub accepts avi and output avi although you can get the mpeg encoder version. VS11s new 'de-snow' and 'de-noise' do a pretty good job though for lamp mode noise removal. I did some severe tests over the weekend and at night in extreme low light I was able to get some good but noisy footage, VS11 filter cleaned the image and I was left with reasonably good low light footage. For a small camera I think it does very well. I have a sony hc-96 also which is supposed to be great for low light and in my view the CG65 now works as well, a bit noisier but size versus quality is a personal choice.

anyway, hope my rants help ypu out a bit....
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:02 PM   #92

Thanks Turk,

Idin't have any real problem with the AVI files sizes, since I deleted them from my computer once the rendering was complete. I'll try setting the bit rate as you suggested - maybe this will speed up the H264 rendering and I won't have to first convert to AVI.

As for deNoise & desnow filtering, I tried it with a short clip and noticed a severe degradation in the output. The was a lot of blocking / interlacing - perhaps it was due to the fact that the video was of a dance scene that had LOTS of motion. Have you tried these filters with and without a lot of motion in the video?
Bob NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 3:08 AM   #93

Hey Bob,

I did not notice any degredation at all, I will try and get some comparison clips for you, I had footage driving along the road at night (my wife was driving) and the video was very noisy but VS11 filters cleaned it up nicely. I also had night video of our village and again VS11 cleaned it up. What it does do is blur the image slightly but its better than a noisy image anyday.

The de-noise filter I found affected the output more in terms of quality, I used the de-snow one more.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:32 AM   #94

Thanks Turk,

Any help would be appreciated. I tried setting the rendering as you suggested, but it still took a long time...I must be doing something wrong. Perhaps when you have the time, you could post a 10 step "VS11 Rendering for Idiots" tutorial.

Bob NG
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:12 PM   #95

If you're still on the fence about purchasing the CG65, there is an article in July's issue of PC World, comparing DVD and hard drive camcorders. The sidebar title is: Inexpensive Camcorder Puts Great Video in Your Pocket, page 128.

Also, on page 125 the reviewer says, "Perhaps the biggest surprise in our video quality tests came from the $400 Sanyo VPC-CG65... This unusually compact model surprised us with it's extremely high image quality, earning overall scores of Very Good for video and Superior for photos."

But we already knew this...:G

oxboxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 3:32 AM   #96

Hi Bob,

I dont think you are doing anything wrong to be honest and I am not doing anything special, just add clips, add filters if needed and create a file. Maybe its your pc, is it a high spec pc? Video rendering does need a good pc.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:20 AM   #97

Hey Turk,

That's exactly what I'm doing...I guess that it's my PC - a 2.2GHz Pentium 4. The speed with VS11 is tolerable to render AVI or MPEG2 files, but MPEG4 is a killer. I only have 512MB of memory and probably could use1 or 2 GB to speed things up a lot. I checked the prices for a Dell memory upgrade and it looks as though I'd be better off just purchasing a new desktop. What's your PC configuration?

In the interim, I'll just continue to use Streamclip to convert to AVI at 100% and then render the AVI files. I really don't understand how Streamclip can be so efficient with MPEG4 and VS11 is such a dog.

Bob NG
Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:17 AM   #98

There ya go, I have 2gig of ram with a 2.2Ghz dual core processor....

VS11 may be c**p at rendering the MPEG4 files alright but at least you have a solution for it. I couldnt get the H264 files opening on anything else. I didnt want to convert to avi and then covert to MPEG but until a better solution comes along I guess we are stuck with it.

What do you think of the low light improvements?
Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:28 PM   #99

Thanks Turk,

I'm very impressed with the low light performance. I've assigned one of the toggle switch functions to the ISO level. In low light situations, this is a really quick way to judge for yourself what's the lowestaccepatble ISO (and subsequent noise) level that will record the scene to your satisfaction. Then,simply set the focus lock with another flick of the toggle switch and forget about anything elseother than shootingthe subject matter.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 7:52 AM   #100

Words!
When anyone will post same clips in very low light?? ;-))

Bye bye...........
sandan is offline   Reply With Quote