Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 9, 2007, 8:16 PM   #111

Great review, and thanks for the sample videos. It's so important to be able to see real-life samples when you're shopping.

I have a couple questions for you...

First, can you tell me how many minutes you can record at the highest quality setting on a particular size card, for example 1 GB?

Also, it says on the Sanyo website that the camera comes with an external battery charger, is this true? Just wondering, because it's advertised with a battery charger in the listed accessories, but why would you need that one if it comes with one?

Thanks a bunch!
Sashasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:47 PM   #112

Hi Sashasmommy, the recording time depends on the recording mode.There is atable of the various approx. recording times relative to SD memory card capacity on the CG65's specifications page ( < - click ). It's around 41 minutes per GB at the highest quality, but it is variable and can record longer than that depending on a scene's complexity;I'm always surprised by how much video I capture per 2GB SD card.Compared to most digicamsI feel the CG65has the best video for the smallest file sizes.

Yes, the CG65 comes with an external battery charger. You can also see a list of included accessories on the specifications page (< - click ).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:57 PM   #113

Great, thanks! I don't know why I didn't see that table, I was on that website.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:40 PM   #114

Oh, one more question... I see a large range of prices for the SD cards, I'm assuming the more expensive ones are faster. Do you need a fast one to work with the camcorder?

Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:41 AM   #115

No, that'sanother good thing about the efficient video format used by the CG65, you can use any SD or SDHC card, the CG65's video recording bit-rates are all within the basic specs of SD/SDHC. However, higher speed SD/SDHC cards will enable you to transfer your files over to your PC faster at the end of the day; and you can find very good prices (< $20) on high-speed 2GB SD cards these days.But price is not necessarily a measure of performance, I often see older, slower and smaller capacity SD cards more expensive than newer faster ones, it's just becauseit'sold stock; look for deals/sales, but also be weary of fakes being sold on eBay.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 8:31 PM   #116

Great, thanks so much for your help! Can't wait to buy and play with my new toy!!
Old Sep 10, 2007, 9:51 PM   #117

Hi, new user. I am posting here, due to more info on the Sanyo line of digital, tapeless, camcorders. The CG6's are interesting and the 65 using H.264 is awesome. My friend and I are writting a script for a movie, taking our creative talents, and making an indy film. It will be a horror film and camcorder is in question. I got a Sony TRV-280, Digital 8. I use it for the night shot and thus for our needs, kind of blurry.

So, our shots would be in daytime, inside (nice lit), and then out in a cemetery. Now I know in making movies, even at night, you light your subjects so I know if I actors/actresses in cemetery, at night, even at full moon, it will oops on film, any film. :-) Now, the Sanyo camcorders are becoming more and more likes, on http://www.indymogul.com (not trying to just promote a site) they are liking the C40 as a cheap indy starting camcorder.

I want: beautiful SD, standard definition video. Widescreen would be nice, but 4:3 is just fine. The 65 is looking nice and the SHQ is killer. We want the movie to be on dvd and viewable on tv of course. How, on the burning and such, done alot of converting etc. and dvd ripping with dvd shrink. To get the files from the 65 to dvd, you need to convert them to VOB's these are the files the dvd players use. Then you can use burning software to burn the dvd. :G Try using Super like posted, or other software from www.videohelp.com, great video site.

So with all you 65 users can you tell me would this camcorde be able to deliver on the front we are looking at? Does it have the place to put a tripod? How the microphone pic up? Thanks.

sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:42 PM   #118

hi sandmanfvr, I really like the CG65 and I think it takes great video, but Ithink ofit more as an everyday/fun/tourist camera than a movie making camera. It does have a tripod mount, but the stereo microphone is built-in to the back of the LCD display. The people I know in the biz who shoot videos and movies scoff at these cameras;I don't think it's "broadcast quality", but I guess it depends on how low budget your project is.Then again,it's the art that matters, not the medium, and something like this couldprobably be done with the CG65; and audio can always be captured externally, like in movie productions.This reminds me of a nice video on Youtube giagirl made with the older C6 model over a year ago.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 3:03 AM   #119

To sandmanfvr,

I too like the CG65 camera for what is but you might want a little more.

The zoom is a fixed speed.

No mike input.

The onboard sound is really good, better than almost anything with a tape and tape motor noise.

Low dynamic range sensor.
Most of the dark areas just turn to black. With indoor lighting it is fine but outside it is a bit more of a problem. This could be fixed to some degree with a re-curve of the contrast/black levels in the camera but the new HD1000 looks the same in this way too so Sanyo must like the look.

There is some over filtering from the H264 coder that makes lots of the fine detail disappear from tree leafs and grass. DV tape is still way better as far as having less digital artifacting.

My CG65 has some real lens flair problems, in your BFG video with the duel shot and the overcast background it would have flared all over.

I did a quick flair demo here.

http://www.jarods.com/sanyo/flair.MP4

I still really like the camera for taking shots of the kids almost anywhere, the low light performance is great for a single CCD camera and it is small and fast with a nice bright flip LCD. But I just bought a Canon S1 DV cam for the indoor basket ball games because of the smother zoom and better PQ in OK light and the 10x zoom.

Was that a S1 in the steady came tripod promo?

ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 8:30 AM   #120

Thanks for the great replies, nice forum. Ok, well this isn't the camcorder. We might have a camcorder, with "connections" etc, but if we have to save up for camcorder for other films, what is a great recommendation? I don't want to take this topic over and spam it up, so maybe email/private message would be good. What I see in a great camcorder for us:

1) Great SD (Standard Definition) video in all lighting conditions.
2) Widescreen option, no absolutely necessary but every camcorder just about does this.
3) Microphone In

Thanks again.
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote