Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:13 PM   #131

Shashasmommy, I'm going to guessyou might be using Quicktime for Windows on a PC to view the videos. Quicktime for Windows is not very efficient and on a not so powerful PC, it shows (video doesn't play smoothly). Try playing the videos with VLC Media Player to see if it helps.

Oh, but I would also not recommend watching these by streaming them over the web, it would be best to first download them, then view them.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:06 AM   #132

I am using Quick Time... I don't know how else to view it. It just automatically comes up that way. Maybe I need to go into my file types and say always play MP4 with Windows Media Player...
Sashasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:16 AM   #133

I changed the default program in File Types to Windows Media Player, and it still comes up in Quick time. I then went into IE and disabled the Quick time add-on, hoping it would choose something else, and now it just doesn't play at all.

I can't figure out how to save it down to my hard drive...

Edited: Kay, figured out how to save it to my hard drive, but Windows MediaPlayer won't play it, and Real Player only plays the sound. I downloaded the newest versions of each. What am I supopsed to beusing to play it??

Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:33 AM   #134

Read my last post...
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:05 PM   #135

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
The shooting distance should have been pretty equal, and I might have zoomed just a little to fill the screen, not much. It's interesting because the sound difference isdue tothis being shot before theC6 firmware update. This means the recording volume did not auto adjust, it wasconstant (but there was clipping). Since the C6 firmware update, and with the CG65, the recording volume level constantly auto-adjusts to prevent the sound from clipping. In this specific case, with fireworks, prehaps it's not ideal as it tends to dampen the bangs, but for the majority of other situations, it's really much better. I imagine the CG6 must also adjust the recording volume.
so this is a manual firmware update on the C6..
what about the C65, does it auto-adjust out of the box? and more importantly can you turn the autoadjust off?

@sashasmommy: like Caelum said: use VLC player.
another way to save the file first to your computer, when you get to the downloadlink don't click it. instead right-click it and save. that way you can save it anywhere instead of having it open up in your browser.
reprazent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:30 PM   #136

reprazent wrote:
Quote:
Caelum wrote:
Quote:
[...]and with the CG65, the recording volume level constantly auto-adjusts to prevent the sound from clipping[...]
[...]can you turn the autoadjust off?[...]
I'm pretty sure you can't turn it off.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 6:43 PM   #137

Quote:

ArizonaVideo, I saw those digital glitches in your video, not sure why it didn't happenin mine? It lookedlike it happened mostly transitioning from anear black frame to a fireworks burst, perhapsit's because I didn't have black frames? Has that happenedwhen shooting anything else?

The shot might have been a little special. The background was a mountain peak so it was almost 100% black some of the blocks may be the coder reacting to the bright points of light which make many little leans flair spots.

It also over exposed slightly so this might cause blooming which mixed with some lens flair made some strange artifacts.

Most of this kind of stuff would go away if Sanyo gave us a higher data rate like 5mps.

The falling sparks were just bad once they got fairly small; the coder just turned them into blocks. It's almost funny how bad that is.

The footage looks fine (not perfect) in good light with only a small amount of digital noise. I was just reviewing some old DV clips from 2003 with a cheep 1/6 CCD Panasonic camcorder and it looks like poop next to the Sanyo. In the same room with almost the exact same light the Sanyo has twice the colored and is brighter and has lower noise and has better sound. It is not even close which is better.

I would be happy with a firmware flash but that's not the way they fix problems any more, you just have to buy a new device and hope for the best.

Any one with a single 1/6" CCD camcorder will be much happier with the Sanyo.

I just got in a Canon Optura S1 with a 1/3' CCD and the low light performance is not near as good as the Sanyo. It does shoot true 740x480 so it will be interesting to see how it compares to the Sanyo in full light.

I didn't plan on buying another DV cam. I sold my large 3CCD Canon GL-1 but I was going to use my brothers low end Canon to capture all the tapes some day into my machine. I plugged his camcorder into his firewire cable and it smoked! We had to pry the tape out. This left me with no tape drive to use so I looked for a camcorder a little better CCD just to see if it would look any better than the junky Canon Eudora.

If I find time I may mount 3 cameras at once on my tripod and do some pans.

The Panasonic TZ-1 at 843x480 which can look really nice some times if you add some noise filtering and slight sharpening and the Optura S1 with true wide screen 740x480 and a 1/3"CCD and the Sanyo CG65 with a 1/2.5 CCD.

The Canon is a $500 or more camcorder when new and has the smallest sensor. I hope it will look better on the indoor basket ball than the Sanyo did. The slightly low light level made some noise so the Sanyo just kicked in the filtering and made the skin tones look like clay and the fast movement made for some chunckies too.

ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:59 PM   #138

ArizonaVideo wrote:
Quote:
The Panasonic TZ-1 at 843x480 which can look really nice some times if you add some noise filtering and slight sharpening and the Optura S1 with true wide screen 740x480 and a 1/3"CCD and the Sanyo CG65 with a 1/2.5 CCD.
ArizonaVideo, how much better is the video quality of cg65 compare to tz1?
i have tz1 i use it mainly for shooting video, i plan to get a cg65 but i am not sure if its really better than tz1.

tz1 and cg65 are about the same size, i like tz1 for its' OIS and 10x zoom, cg65 stereo sound and small filesize.

if you could do a short 10seconds side by side video comparison between them and upload to http://upload2.net/ i would appreciate, thank you.
k1mch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:58 PM   #139

Oh yeah...skipped right over that part. Kay, I got it working now... thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2007, 8:18 PM   #140

Does anyone have a good recommendation on where to buy the CG65? Amazon is out of stock and all their sellers have re-stocking fees. Adorama and B&H only give you 7 days for returns. I'm worried about this lens flare thing, so I want to be able to try it out and send it back if it's not acceptable.

Thanks!