Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 31, 2007, 3:13 PM   #151

Hello all, I just bought myself a new CG65 last week, and I love it! It's blue. I got it in Japan for a very reasonable price: 28,000 Yen (around $240). I would like to add my two cents on the whole AF noise subject:

Yes, it's very annoying--particularly when you're filming quietly indoors--and I can see how some people can deem that as a camera defect. In my case, this is how I go around that problem: Because the mp4 is a container file, you can just separate the audio and video streams using the right software. I will separate the audio track and either add some background music to drown out the noise, or eliminating it completely using a wave editor, or both. Then I join the audio and video streams together, and voila: AF noise becomes a thing of the past.

I don't know much about the low light shots though. To me. it's clear that no point & shoot camera is going to come close to getting the perfect low-light photo. The lenses are just too small to draw in enough light, never mind the tiny apertures they have to work with. And even if a camera can do that, the light balance and noise levels are all computer produced; It's not real enough. For low light I will always stick by my trusty Minolta SLR film camera. It's still the easiest, most versitaile camera I have ever used.
maestri09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 3:45 PM   #152

I've just arranged to buy a used CG65. It includes two extra batteries (pedigree unknown), two 4-Gb SD cards, and a case, for about $280. I'm extremely curious to see how it performs compared to the many Digilife cameras I've had. I don't expect to actually be able to use it until later this month.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 3:05 PM   #153

Hey, want to buy the VPC-CG65. It's selling for $299!

http://www.warehouse123.com/ProductI...SANVPCCG65-SLV

Is this a good deal on the Sany VPC-CG65?
Joseph_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:13 PM   #154

I don't think you can do much better than that for a new one.

There's a used one on eBay right now, with a spare battery, for $250. To me, "used" means it's been tested and it works fine. New items on sale from stores often are returns that people have had trouble with, so I regard on-sale electronics with more caution than slightly used items from individuals.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 9:59 AM   #155

Was thinking of actually buying one but I saw that the replacement for this unit has already been announced. It's the Sanyo Xacti CG9 and it has a 9.1 megapixel CMOS sensor and capable of recording 60fps videos.
natalie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:57 AM   #156

Hopefully they fixed some of the other problems of the CG65, like hyperactive autofocus, quirky image stabiliaztion, poor low-light performance and poor exposure control in very bright llight. They seem to have recognized that the CG65 was just too small to handle easily.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:03 AM   #157

Picking up an old thread here but can Ijust run something by those of you in the know...

Do i need to convert my CG65 mp4 files to AVI in order to edit on ulead & nero? Currently the playback is very, very jerky and after a bit of investigating this may be due to the file still being compressed (please confirm)

So, am i using the wrong editing software?

Or by using MP4cam2AVI can i convert and not lose any video quality and thesuccesfully edit using my current software.

And if coverting is the answer, what would bethe best settings?

Thanks in advance

VW
magroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:52 PM   #158

magroo wrote:
Quote:
Picking up an old thread here but can Ijust run something by those of you in the know...

Do i need to convert my CG65 mp4 files to AVI in order to edit on ulead & nero? Currently the playback is very, very jerky and after a bit of investigating this may be due to the file still being compressed (please confirm)

So, am i using the wrong editing software?

Or by using MP4cam2AVI can i convert and not lose any video quality and thesuccesfully edit using my current software.

And if coverting is the answer, what would bethe best settings?

Thanks in advance

VW
HELLO MAGROO
I agree, the best way (after many many try) IS TO CONVERT TO AVI :
because the MP4 files converted in AVI with MP4cam2AVI don't lose their quality,
and then are much QUICKER JOB in any software, even the ones who work with MP4 H264 !!

I'm used now to work now with the very simple, free and effectiv WINDOW MOVIE MAKER,
but be very carefull about this :

IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO GO IN THE EXPORT OPTION
AND than CHOOSE THE PRESET : NTSC 4:3

---> NTSC mean export in 30 fps : your exported video won't be jerky at all ;-)))

In my special blog for my XACTI CA65 , I have made a short pdf with my EXPORT ADVICE :
you can have a look here : ( sorry, it's in french )

ma page CA65 :
--> http://www.anjoyplanet.com/video/SANYO_XACTI_CA65.html
my MP4 EXPORT ADVICE :
--> http://www.anjoyplanet.com/video/MON...;_conseils.pdf

WELCOME

anjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 3:11 PM   #159

Thanks anjoy

The video works great now, but i'm getting no audio in the editing software. It's fine in a stand alone player tho! - any ideas?

Cheers
magroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:53 AM   #160

Any video editing software that does not specifically state that it is compatible with H.264 files will choke on them.

I have had a vast amount of audio issues converting H.264 files to .avi. If the audio was not missing entirely, it was out of synch.

After probalby hundreds of attempts, I found a "formula" that works for me.

I use Prism conversion software, and use these detailed settings:

Video
- profile @ level AS/L5
- passes - 1
- Quantizer - 8.26 (doesn't have to be exactly this)
- FourCC - SD

Audio
- PCM, 8mhz/16bit/Stereo

I haven't tried anjoy's MP4cam2AVI, but I will eventually try it.