Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:54 AM   #21

Yeah, I saw those Casio produced EX-V7 samples a while back (linked to in the WCSIBforum by blindsight, I think). They are very clean and smooth, but do consume 6Mbps, same as MPEG-2 cams. I'd love to play with one, although I don't like the old two-handed square digicam format for filming now that I'm used to the one-handed Xacti "pistol grip". I'm very curious to see how it does at lower bit rates, especially 1.5Mbps,or in low light since it doesn't have "9 pixel mixture technology" and a much lower ISO rating (re-encoded videos are pretty useless to judge a camera, especially since WMV smoothes video). I did see those two UHQ (848x480) "good/bad" videos posted over at the dpreview forumsand I have to say that for 7Mbps video, it's just ok, not great. The reason I'm very keen on the lowest bit-rates (smallest files) for the highest quality video is that when I go to an event I like to record it all for two reasons: one is you never know what you are going to miss, so filming most of the time enables you to catch the best moments; two is that whenever you take out a cam and start filming, people become self-conscious and don't act natural, butif you film all the time then people tend to forget about it and go about normally. So I'd rather have a few GB for a few hours rather than double or more.
But perhaps further discussions on the EX-V7 shouldgo to the Casio forum?
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 5:39 PM   #22

Caelum,

Thanks for the samples. I agree the CG65 footage looks better than my C6, although with care (Soft/Vivid mode, and ASA locked to 50) I can come pretty close. My only beef is none of my editors can open the H264 videos in their MP4 state and MP4Cam2AVI won't convert it. I was able to convert a clip with RAD Video Tools to a multi-gigabyte uncompressed file so I could play with it.

Not that I have anything against H264. It's the format I routinely compress C6 footage to after editing for PC-only display. Now I'm looking forward to the HD2a (with H264 ) :G
SPOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 5:52 PM   #23

Hey caelum,

RE: H264 vs. MP4 - I guess the Casio H264 video may not be that particular "spectacular" and superior than MP4: if the video bitrate is as high and generous as 7 Mbps, MP4 and probably ANY other MPEG-4 codecs will do equally well and make excellent movies. I also agree that I have my doubts about the low light performance of the Casio's video - although pixel binning ("pixel mix") technology is used in practically every new model P&S cameras to make high ISO STILL PICTURES of lower resolutionas, far as I know, Sanyo Xacti is the only hybrid camera which use this in their video mode.

It seems that people in the Casio forum are not particularly interested in the EX-V7. The most user review posts are still found in dpreview forum.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:29 AM   #24

After comparing many CG65 and EX-V7 samples... I am very disappointed with EX-V7 samples. Stable shots look very good and better than CG65's shots. Shaky shots look not so good especially when the IS is turned on. Low-light-performance is bad. And the color and white balance adjustment is not stable - the settings are changing during video shooting. Last but not least the focus is too slow. I tried it by myself in the mall. The photos are mediocre...

In my (new) opinion you're better off with the CG65, which has theC6's reliability plus improved video quality.

As for me - I burried my idea of a perfect hybrid. I repaired my old digicam for photos only and ordered a Canon HV10 HDV camcorder.
puper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:31 AM   #25

Oh and by the way - Sony Vegas 7 can directly edit MPEG-4 SP and AVC! If you do not want to use Sony Vegas, converting your mp4 files (direct stream copy) to avi often helps. You can use MP4CAM2AVI freeware software.
puper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:47 AM   #26

This is my first post on these forums guys, ive found the review really good and purchased my CG65 today.

Im having a few problems when recording video's, what happening is the lens is always wanting to focus's as i move it. This results in a lot of blurry video. When i pan from side to side and the camera see's something new it will blur and then focus.

I believe i have everything on automatic, however i may have something on which i don't need?

I thought the image stabilizing function stopped this, but obviously not. What exactly does the stabilizing do then?

Thanks alot for the help

Dentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:34 PM   #27

Hi Dentz, welcome to the forum. If the camera is in full auto, it will attempt to focus most of the time, especially if the scene is changing. It really helps if there are clear (contrasting) edges the camera can see for it to lock in with full auto. Otherwise there are two cures for this: focus lock and manual focus. With the recommended shortcuts (options menu, page 2/3), focus lock is quickly turned on or off by simply moving the thumbstick up. Once your subject is in focus, simply push the thumbstick up to lock it, if the scene changes, push up again to unlock. This works both before and while filming. Manual focus is another option to consider and works very well for specific circumstances. Set it to infinite when filming landscapes, or set it to a specific distance when you know how far your subject is. This way the focus will be exact, it will not waiver and you won't hear the focus motor in the audio.

The stabilizing function helps you keep video steady, it reduces shaking.

I was filming a wasp today and because I was moving a lot the auto focus wasn't able to do a good job. So I turned on manual focus, set it to 5cm and simply filmed the wasp from that distance, it worked out really well. I also tried the CG65's built-in video editing (cut / join) and it works quite well and faster than I expected. I've uploaded this clip if anyone is interested: Wasp, CG65 in manual focus: 5cm, edited in-camera.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:50 PM   #28

Very impressive for a hybrid camera, nice work. Even when I doubled the size, the quality held up. Amazing for a video camera that fits in a pocket.

Were you using DIS?
oxboxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 3:33 AM   #29

Hello !

Great review, I just ordered a CG65 after reading and watching all your videos. I couldn't decide which camera I wanted to buy (Mini DV ? Mini DVD ? SD card ?)...

The HD1 and HD2 sample video lagged and freezed on my laptop, and since I don't want to change my computer now, I thought that MP4 VGA was the best choice, but I was afraid of some video posted, showing poor quality.

Your sample are great, sharp, clean (no noise) and show effective AF and IS ! Great !

I have still two questions :

1) About battery life : is it useful to buy a second one ? I would like at least 50minutes of battery life.

2) Do you know any Tvix, or Divx HDD able to read the raw MP4 files you posted ?

Thank you !
Vl4d (from France)
vl4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 8:16 AM   #30

oxboxx,DIS was off.

vl4d, 1) battery lasts about an hourof continuous use; I have four of them now since I've owned the C6, so yes, I do recommend spare ones for trips. 2) A DVD/HDD player that can play AVC/H.264 MP4 files directly?I think theKiss 1600 and the PS3are supposed to, but I haven't tried either, so I can't confirm. I use a media center PC with ffdshow tryouts and Haali media splitter installed.