Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 2, 2007, 10:04 AM   #41

B&H is a reputable US online seller:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 11:16 AM   #42

Hello Caelum!

Just received my CG65 Today, it's really great!
BTW, like you said, the image stabilisator isn't very useful because of quality loss (crop)...

I just uploaded a video to show the crop factor of the IS :

http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?i...any0004iq0.flv

vl4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 3:29 PM   #43

Caelum / Blindsight,

I spoke with Henry's Camera today in Toronto - they have the CG6, but apparently there's no plans yet for Sanyo Canada to offerthe CG-65. The very knowledgable sales rep at Henry's thought that the CG-65 compression algorithm would provide better video quality than the CG-6. Even though Amazon won't ship the CG-65 to Canada, J&R will.

However, before I purchase it on J&R, I want to ensure that I order the proper SDHC card. J&R has a 4GB Sandisk with reader for $79. It's a Class 2 card (apparently 2MB / sec maximum). Is this enough speed for the best quality GC-65 video or do I require a higher speed card?

Thanks for the help.
Bob NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 4:15 PM   #44

Bob, the data rate for the best quality video on the CG65 (3Mbps = 0.4MB/s) is lower thanstandard SD (~ 1.5MB/s) and lowest class SDHC (Class 2 = 2MB/s) card speeds. So you don't need fast cards, the only reason you might want faster cards is for when it comes time to transfer the video to your PC. And the CG65 itself can act as an SD/SDHC card reader when connectedto USB, so you don't need an extra reader, unless you wantone for convenience.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 4:26 PM   #45

Thanks Caelum...I'm going o place my order as soon as I hit SEND on this message
Bob NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 4:13 AM   #46

I need help to choose between TV-HQ and TV-SHQ...

I can see slight differences between them, but I see that even the TV-SHQ mode often use slow bitrate around 1000....

Caelum, i read that you will choose the TV-HQ format, but can you recommand this to everyone ? Or is there specific applications where the TV-SHQ will be really superior (i.e : difference noticeable by novices watching our holyday trip movie on TV).

Thanks!

Edit : I just made my personnal quality tests, the difference is obvious in highly contrasted scenics, or with textured ground (grass...), here are my HQ and SHQ samples :

TV-HQ
TV-SHQ

You should also notice that the selected bitrate was the close to the highest possible for each mode!
Old May 5, 2007, 10:40 AM   #47

Thanks for the samples for comparison vl4d. It's easy to see the difference, especially in the pavement.

SD cards are so cheap, and getting cheaper, I wouldn't use anything but the highest quality. Then you always have the flexibility to down-convert it for the web, etc. IMO, anything less than the highest quality is irrelevant.
oxboxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 7:31 PM   #48

I agree with you oxboxx, and I ordered a 8Gb SDHC card last week, so file size won't be a problem!!

Now I am testing ISO rendition in real life situation... I find Auto-Iso often look too noisy, I think 200 ISO might be the best compromise, it looks smooth in the dark areas, and sharp in the lightened details !!

What do you other CG65 users think of this ?
Old May 6, 2007, 5:28 AM   #49

And here is my own Xacti CG65 Sample video :

http://www.mediafire.com/?4mjmr2vz2dj

Sorry Caelum, I did copy you with the wasp, not as good as you in MF, though!!
Old May 6, 2007, 1:26 PM   #50

Hi vl4d, the other day I was playing back video on someone's 27" (regular) TV and while playing some WEB-SHQ clips I was explaining that theresolution was much lower buthe thought it looked good, and I have to admit, it didn't look that bad. I think regular TV resolution is so low that it does not require the highest quality. Interestingly it looked better than his digicam's VGA video; we determined that the reason was because the CG65's video playbackis smooth/fluid whereas his digicam's playback wasn't. But basically I agree with oxboxx, you might as well shoot in TV-SHQ most of the time to ensure you always have the best quality for any reason. You can always re-encode to reduce file sizes later. But if you want to shoot lots and lots of video and/or the target might be the web or regular TV, thenwe canconsider the lower bit-rate modes (WEB-SHQ is perfect for YouTube type sites). I agree with you about fixing the ISOunder certain circumstances, autocansometimes over-brighten dark scenes by raising the ISO too high or engaging what appears to be an auto"high-sensitivity" mode, both of which cause more noise.

:sad:My main PC crashed and burned Thursday, so I'll be out of commission for a while. Thanks for the sample (edit: got it!), nice, I see you edited it using the CG65. I also saw your TV-HQ and SHQ comparisons, thanks for sharing.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote