Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 7, 2007, 8:27 AM   #51

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
I'll make a point that the software/codecs you use to view the CG65's AVC/H.264 files will have a direct impact on your perception of its videos' quality on your PC. MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 is computationally complex and requires a powerful enough PC and good software/codecs. For example, on my PC using the Nero Digital codec (with auto post-processing) the videos look great, using Quicktime for Windows they don't look as good nor render smoothly. Unfortunately Microsoft doesn't deliver support for MP4, AVC or AAC. Sanyo does supply the basic software you need. Apple users shouldn't have any issues since support for AVC/AAC is built-in all recent Macs. And the CG65 playback to TV-out is good, so that's always an option.
Now that I am convinced that I will keep my CG65, I need to understand a bit more about optimizing playback and how to edit/join videos and also how to get them ready to burn to DVD. Some questoins:

1. Right now when I play the videos on my home PC, they are played using Quicktime for Windows. Is there a better alternative for viewing at best quality?

2. What is the best/easiest way to both edit and join video clips once they are on the PC? What software?

3. I am going to buy a DVD burner--what software will I want to use with the burner to make DVDs from the native files?

Thanks for any and all help. I really like this camera and have taken some great video of my kids sporting events.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 3:55 PM   #52

bltkmt, here is the free software I recommend for the best playback ona WindowsPC: install "ffdshow tryouts"(do not limit to specific players) and then install "Haali media splitter", this will allow most PC media playing software,including Windows Media Player and Media Centerto play back MP4 files (and many other formats) very well on a PC once file association is made. My favorite free media player is: Media Player Classic, it's small, fast and works very well with the above free codec pack and splitter (disable MPC's MP4 splitter, use Haali's). Iprefer fast, simpleand effective softwares over the bloated ones;I also suggest the freeFastStone Maxview as afast and simplephoto/picture (stills only) viewing software. I don't use afree video editoron thePC, I use Sony Vegas, butmaybe (don't know)the freesquared 5's Streamclip might be used to cut/join on the PC? (and Mac) But doing cut/joinson the CG65 works well. For burning on DVD, you can use any software that supports MP4 AVC files, I think there should be one included with the CG65, I don't know about other free ones, theremight be some. You can always use Streamclip to convert MP4 to NTSC DV, which most, if not all,DVD writing softwares support. If/when Iget my main PC running again, and I have some time, I might try to put together a comprehensive guide.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 8:15 PM   #53

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
bltkmt, here is the free software I recommend for the best playback ona WindowsPC: install "ffdshow tryouts" (do not limit to specific players) and then install "Haali media splitter", this will allow most PC media playing software,including Windows Media Player and Media Centerto play back MP4 files (and many other formats) very well on a PC once file association is made.
Thanks for the hints for these codecs--I am using Nero Show Time to view the videos...how do I make sure it is making use of these codecs? Is it automatic? Sorry for being a novice, but I am excited about learning.
Old May 10, 2007, 6:28 AM   #54

Hello!

Thanks for your answer Caelum !

Yes I did use the CG65 Edit functions, which are great!

For instance, it took me about 30 seconds to join the scenes, while IMovie HD on a mac book Pro (intel 2 core duo) took 3 minutes to load the file! (just load, not reencode and save!).

I wonder if I edit a video on my computer (add music...) and reencode it in H.264, 640X480... will I be able to play it back on the xacti ?
vl4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 11:06 PM   #55

bltkmt, I'm not sure, I think Neromight still use it's own, but it should do a good job of it.

vl4d, unfortunately I haven't (yet) been able to produce an MP4 AVC+AAC file on the PC that I can play back on the CG65.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 12:02 AM   #56

Many thanks to all those who answered my questions before I ordereda CG-65 from J&R. I received it a couple of days ago and have been very pleased with it's performance. Tonight, I even took some video at a party with VERY LOW light and the camera performed great. The only setting that I changed was the ISO - I set it to 800.

The menu system is veryeasy to use. I especially like being able to toggle the focus lock while recording. And the TV playback is fantastic -it's crystal clear andbeing able to select a video clip from the menu is straight forward . I also find being abletofast forward / rewind usingthe toggle switch a real convenient feature during playback.

I highly recommend this camera to anyone who hates lugging around hardware.
Bob NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 6:13 AM   #57

[align=left]I'm a future owner of this camera from italy.

Can you, and everyone, post video in very low light?

Thanks!

[/align]
sandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 2:20 PM   #58

Just picked up a CG65 from Amazon. Haven't used it much except testing last night. Overall, my first impressions are pretty good -- about what I expected for such a highly-portable videocam (good, but not without issues). Anyway, one thing I did notice right off the bat indoors (lower light) is a MAJOR AMOUNT of focus hunting -- like non-stop to the point it was being picked up by the microphone. Has anyone else had that issue? I mean seriously, at times, I could point it at something in the room, and leave it pointed like that, and it would just hunt, and hunt, and hunt FOREVER. The scene would go in/out of focus as it did this. Is that normal behavior?
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 6:31 AM   #59

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
For burning on DVD, you can use any software that supports MP4 AVC files, I think there should be one included with the CG65, I don't know about other free ones, theremight be some. You can always use Streamclip to convert MP4 to NTSC DV, which most, if not all,DVD writing softwares support. If/when Iget my main PC running again, and I have some time, I might try to put together a comprehensive guide.
Hi, it's me again. I tried using the Ulead software that came with the CG65 to burn a DVD of the movies I have taken. Unfortunatley, after running for over 10 hours, it was still not finished. I imagine it has something to do with converting the video from the native CG65 format. What are other users doing to easily/quickly create DVDs from these files? Should they be converted using some other software first, and then burned?

Please help?
Old May 17, 2007, 9:07 AM   #60

bltkmt,...that's a bummer. My CG65 will be here Monday and I also want to burn dvds as I go along. I'll be very disappointed if I have to go through a long song and dance to get the job done.

You might get more answers if you made a new post on this subject. I'll be watching to see what kind of advice you get. Hopefully, it will be pretty simple.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote