Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 20, 2007, 11:03 PM   #71

@ dog & sanyo - RE: batteries

Shame on me for not doing my homework, I am not the expert on CG65. I spent way too much money chasing the C series (C4, C6, and then CG6) already I won't drool or another one at least for now, my budget is screwed!

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 8:47 AM   #72

Quick SD-Card reviews (2)

I've tested 2 cards with my CG65 :

- The Sandisk Ultra II 4.0Gb SD card (Standard SD, not SDHC)
- The K-Data 8Gb SDHC Class 2 card

You might think that the Sandisk is the most reliable of the two, but you're wrong!
I've had some really weird issues with the Ultra II card while playing with the in-camera editing tools (corrupted files, CG65 crash...). I formated the card again, then tried to re edit (join) the scenes, it worked fine until I looked more closely at the (edited) video some blue block artifacts showed up on the video !

As for the cheap K-data card, absolutely no problem, including the video-editor functions with the same video files that I use with the ultra II.
vl4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 8:49 AM   #73

I had another thread where I mentioned having issues with certain cards, both of which were Sandisks...I now use a cheap Adata 2gb and have no problems either. Very strange.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 11:08 AM   #74

ArizonaVideo wrote:
Quote:
[...]Caelum: The first four sample MOV links might be dead. I was able to get the thrift shot to down load. In that clip there was one fast pan that looked like the camera had gone into 15fps mode and blurred the picture allot. How much light was there?[...]
Thanks, I'll have a look later(MP4s). That thrift store video is smooth all the way, if you're having slow downs during the panit's definitely your PC (not powerful enough)or viewing software (inefficient). If your viewing software has statistics or diagnostics, check to make sure it's not lagging or droping frames, which is most likely what is happening.

Guys, about those problems with your "Sandisk" "high performance" cards, are you sure you don't have fakes? For example, check out this thread. Also, fakes can haveother issues than capacity. I'm using high-speed 133x OCZ 2GB SD cards without any issues at all.

(p.s.: it's a long weekend here, I just got my PC back up, now with dual-core,with about 50% of my apps and data so far.)
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 11:10 AM   #75

Caelum--good to see you back around here...you were missed.

As far as the Sandisk cards...yes, possible that mine are fakes. I bought both on EBay. Although, they both seem to work fine on my Canon SD300.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 11:16 AM   #76

I read the last few posts with a smile on my face because I think that there's a little too much analysis going on. I'm also one who likes to analyze stuff from every angle, but I've put that behind me with respect to the CG-65.

I took a whole bunch of video at a party last night that will be a permanent momento for the hosts and I can GUARANTEEthat:

1) The video is not perfect

2) There would have been NO video if I didn't have the CG-65. I slipped the camera into my wife's tinypurse and pulled it out whenever the timing was right. There were lots of still cameras but no one elsebrought a video camera because they didn't want to lug around a brick.

Much of the video was in VERY LOW light - even candlelight....but it still came out OK. I even moved around and theimage stabalization was great. I alsomade use of being able to angle the LCD to take dancing video from aboveheads in the crowd.

I used Caelum's trick of half-pressing the photo button to set the focus distance (a green light shines to tell you that it was able to focus). Then I toggled the switch up to focus lock - and there was NOhunting. I set the ISO to 400 and then focused my mind on catching the action (as opposed to whether I could get better quality video with some other device).

Sorry for appearing to come down heavy on the"Nay Sayers", but once you get your head around the fact that it may not be "professional" quality, you'll enjoy the camera a lot.

The same goes forediting - I'll worry about sophsticated editing in the future -I've got the raw footage saved on my hard drive. In the interim, the in-camera cut and join makes for a perfect souvenir.
Bob NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 2:30 PM   #77

Thanks for your testimonies and sharing your experiences guys. I guess being a former C6 user I quickly adapted to the CG65's idiosyncrasies, so I may not have emphasized them enough.But when youwork outthe pluses and the minuses, of which, as Bob NG points out (thanks for the tips!), many have work-arounds, it's difficult not to really like this tiny cam.Especially once you've captured events/moments that otherwise you would not have, and everyone I've shown it's footage to have reacted very positively (/surprised). But yes, learning tomake the most of its myriad of options and practice helps a lot with getting the most out of the CG65 (also the manual is useful and has lots of good tips).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 3:37 PM   #78

thought it might be worth mentioning for the folks who don't understand how the image stabilization works on the CG65. I ran some tests over the weekend, and when you combine that with the knowledge many of us already have on EIS, here's a couple of things that I noticed after experimenting. The EIS uses a cropped frame (ie it's zoomed in a little), which gives it the extra space it needs around the frame to move the frame around with movement. It then, uprezes that cropped frame to fill the whole screne. So, this presents a tradeoff that is worth understanding. With EIS engaged, you get a slightly more stable image at the cost of both some resolution loss (from upscaling) and with some loss of the wider angle of the lens (cause of cropping). On the flipside, with EIS disengaged, you get slightly better resolution and the fuller wide angle of the lens (which is significant, especially when in cramped spaces like sitting around a table with a group of friends). Anyway, I think my EIS will mostly be off after my tests, but not always -- it just helps to understand the tradeoff you are making with it on/off.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 7:19 PM   #79

Moved my review to the tips thread.
oxboxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 3:32 AM   #80

Thanks for the reply. The links are working today.

I re read the first post and you said that QT was performing poorly with the H264, it was dropping frames with the higher bit rates but that was not my concern it was the motion blurring during pans.

I installed the supper transcoder from post "Mon Apr 9th, 2007 10:55 pm". (No post # at Steves?) Thanks blighnsight for the link. The transcoder works great and is free. The player works with no dropped frames too. I had to select the H264 codec not the H265AVC to have the brightness and contrast adjustments to work.

My PC is a 1.9 GHz AMD Barton core machine so for smooth full screen video with H264clips most any old machine should do. The transcode to MpegII did not look perfect but I may try a different codec.

There is still some softening of the text on the plate on the thrift shop video but it is less than with the Quick Time player.

I think some one just called my GL-1 a brick?

I weighed the GL and a red brick and the GL was 46OZ and the brick was 70oz so it's more like 1/2 a brick.:lol:

With the GL-1's 20x zoom you can be in a corrner of a 50 ft room and frame any one there like they were on TV, by hand.:-)

I like the performance of the CG65, I have had 6 camcorders in the last 5 years from a triple 1/2" CCD to a supper cheep 1/6" CCD Panasonic so I know what to expect from a single CCD.

Almost all the small CCD (1/6") camcorders do really bad in low light, If the CG65 does as good as has been stated then it is real breakthrough. The CD65 should do better than the GL-1 at Disneyland because I left the GL home.:sad:

The pixel averaging is a supper smart idea. I wonder if the software just takes an average or of it can throw out a hot pixel and average the rest?

The dry grass clips really show the advantages of the H264codec.

I would like to see some more indoor shots with a known amount of light like two 60 watt lamps, please.

Now all we need is some one to hack the firmware to let us record 720x400. (I think it is the same CCD as the HD1.)

Thanks Caelum: You have done a great job explaining the CG65 and taking the time to post all the clips.

I have not seen any flash camcorder that can performe better in low light so far.

ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote