Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:40 AM   #1

Hoping someone can help me out here,......I am considering getting an HD2 or a CG65. At this time, I do not have HD TV so I could shoot in SD with either camera, probably getting somewhat better results from the CG65,...I think?

Another question is, can I video in HD and make standard DVDs with my DVD writer? Is there any way to save the clips in HD in case I later get an HD TV? I'm guessing the only way to do that is to keep the original SD cards with the HD clips on them.

Also, will the quality of videos shot in HD be any better when shown on my standard TV than regular SD videos would be?

Color me crazy, but I may get the HD2 in order to have the longer zoom and just shoot in SD format.

Thanks for any help on this!
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:48 PM   #2

I know that with imovie hd you can shoot in hd and output in dvd resolution to a dvd.
jgoldstein2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 10:24 AM   #3

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
[...]Is there any way to save the clips in HD in case I later get an HD TV? I'm guessing the only way to do that is to keep the original SD cards with the HD clips on them.

Also, will the quality of videos shot in HD be any better when shown on my standard TV than regular SD videos would be? [...]
You can keep backup copies of the original HD .MP4 files onhard drives, data CDs or data DVDs.

Standard TV's resolution isvery low. For composite NTSC ("yellow" plug), themax possible visible vertical resolution is 485i (interlaced). The horizontal luma (black-and white) resolution for composite NTSC is not fixed (analog streamlimited by bandwidth), but it ranges from 220 to 540, chroma (color) resolutionis much less,less than half). So, in theory, no, HD should not look better than SD on a standard TV.

Butconsider that the HD2 has a digital HDMI out connector,so itcan take full advantage of HDTVs.

Edit: oh, and you've asked this question a few times now! Steve gave you a good answer.

Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:57 PM   #4

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
So, in theory, no, HD should not look better than SD on a standard TV
But in practice HD2 1280x720 footage downconverted to a DVD looks better than C6 footage converted to DVD even on a old mutt TV that can't handle the resolution.

But HDMI will make all the difference when youget a TV that can handle it.
SPOFF is offline   Reply With Quote