Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:16 AM   #1

Just wanted to check how is the durability of the Xactis. Also, what's the common problem that arises over time? Maybe for C6 owners who has had this things for a year now.

Thanks.
rrbarcarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:44 AM   #2

Personally, I haven't had any issues at all with my C6 since I've had it formore than ayear. The only problems I've seen reported more than once in this forum have been dead pixels (it's a common problemacross the digicam industry, search Steve's forums and all makes and models come up)and the original, firstrun HD1's black screen issue which Sanyo acknowledged, fixed and covered under an extendedwarranty (turned out it simply was grease on the iris).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:01 AM   #3

Nice to hear then that Xactis hold very well overtime.I would assume the swivel monitor may get loose which would be normal wear and tear. i'm mostly concerned with the LCD going out, nice to hear nobody's having that problem.

Thanks, Caelum!
rrbarcarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 3:26 PM   #4

Yup, RATS. I shot some really cute Easter footage of my little boy running around after easter eggs, and then just like nothing I got a dead pixel on the CCD (upper right corner) of my C6, which is more than 1 year old.

Luckily I had bought it with Visa which offers double warranty on the camera, now I just have to convinceVisa that the DMX-C6 has a warranty in Canada (yeeeeeks - may not be so easy to do).

Anyway, here's the thing: if I had been using a camera with optical stabilization rather than digital stabilization, I could probably have fixedmy videoseasily enough with VirtualDub filters. However, because of the digital stabilization the dead pixel kind of shimmies and shakes across a small area. Actually it is quite impressiveto see how well that stabilization function really works -- imagine a virtually dead-calm video with a dead pixel skating away in the corner! However, is there any filter or something to fix the dead pixel problem? It is such a minor little white dot but because it is persistent, it is amazingly distracting.

Thanks a bunch! If I get a refund, I'mjust gonna have to get an HD2.
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:36 PM   #5

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Personally, I haven't had any issues at all with my C6 since I've had it formore than ayear. The only problems I've seen reported more than once in this forum have been dead pixels (it's a common problemacross the digicam industry, search Steve's forums and all makes and models come up)and the original, firstrun HD1's black screen issue which Sanyo acknowledged, fixed and covered under an extendedwarranty (turned out it simply was grease on the iris).
Unfortunately, I've encountered the black screen issue with my first run HD1. I called Sanyo support, and they said that even though it is a known issue, its out of warranty (I bought it right when it came out from Amazon) so I'd have to get it repaired on my own. I called the number of the repair shop that they gave me, and the bill is $100-130 for labor and $200-$300 for parts!

Paying $400 to fix my HD1 doesn't make sense. Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative to this? I read that someone had instructions on how to fix it yourself (since really its just clearing out some grease that hardened around the iris blades) - anyone know where that might be? My searches so far haven't turned up anything, except for:

http://www.fixya.com/support/r255717..*****een_problem

The alternatives that come to mind right now:
  1. Open it up myself and pray[/*]
  2. Somehow convince Sanyo that this known problem should still be covered[/*]
  3. Get an Aiptek GO-HD[/*]
  4. Get a still camera with a widescreen movie mode (Casio EX-V8 looks pretty good) and suck up not having full HD for a bit
    [/*]
  5. Convince Sanyo to take the broken HD1 and give me a discount/rebate off the HD1000[/*]
Any ideas folks? Thanks! :-)
Marcus Alzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 3:20 PM   #6

Marcus Alzona wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, I've encountered the black screen issue with my first run HD1. I called Sanyo support, and they said that even though it is a known issue, its out of warranty (I bought it right when it came out from Amazon) so I'd have to get it repaired on my own. I called the number of the repair shop that they gave me, and the bill is $100-130 for labor and $200-$300 for parts!
If it's just an iris problem, why are they charging so much for parts?! $200-300 sounds almost like the costthe LCD screen as well!

Mind you consumer electronic companies often charge ripoff prices. I remember when my old Sharp Zaurus PDA needed to be sent off to be reflashed due to a ROM upgrade going wrong. Don't know why it happened as I am extremely careful but Murphy's law I guess. Anyway they always seemed to be vague when I asked them how much to reflash it. I thought it was going to cost around $60 which was bad enough, but they charged me over $100 in the end! You can almost get a Pocket PC LCD screen replaced for that kind of money. I don't mind paying a lot for physical parts but for a reflash? Needless to say I won't be dealing with Sharp again and I've been a fan of their pocket computers for years.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 3:31 PM   #7

I've had my C6for almost two years and I've had no problems, even after my wife accidently dropped it down a flight of stairs! It was locked up, dented in one spot, and we lost the footage she was in the middle of shooting, but once I removed the battery and the camera reset itself it has been working perfectly ever since. No dead pixels, either....
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 4:17 PM   #8

Marcus Alzona wrote:
Quote:
[...]I read that someone had instructions on how to fix it yourself (since really its just clearing out some grease that hardened around the iris blades) - anyone know where that might be?[...]
I think the instructions where provided by Mark Baculy on the DVi forum (sorry I don't think we are allowed to post a link here);instructions are still there but the link to his photos looks like it's dead. IGoogled HD1 iris grease and found his thread. The difficult part will betaking your HD1 apart and putting it back together.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 8:19 PM   #9

I have a new hd1000 and after a month the zoom in button went inop. Still under warrenty
schmalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 8:19 PM   #10

I have a new hd1000 and after a month the zoom in button went inop. Still under warrenty
schmalts is offline   Reply With Quote