Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:57 PM   #1

Hey, can anyone recommend to me some good 8GB SD cards or 4GB SD cards for use with this machine? Thanks!
projectcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:29 AM   #2

Any SDHC card should do, the Sanyo Xacti series do not (so far) require more than normal speed SD/SDHC cards. I haven't heard of any SDHC cards that don't work well,just don't getscrewed by an eBay scam artist.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 5:04 PM   #3
lpm

A week or 2 ago, buy.com was selling a Connect3D 4gB SD card for $29.99USD, so I took a chance and bought one for my CG6. Fortunately, it works just fine in the CG6. Unfortunately, the built-in SD card readers of my fairly new Dell and 2-year old HP laptop can't deal with it. So, I use the camera in card reader mode to download. So, my warning to others is not all card readers can deal with these new SD and SDHC cards.

projectcafe wrote:
Quote:
Hey, can anyone recommend to me some good 8GB SD cards or 4GB SD cards for use with this machine? Thanks!
lpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 5:01 PM   #4

Uh oh I bought a 8GB SDHC for only $39.99 US, I hope it's not a fake!
Here's where I bought it:
http://snipurl.com/1gi25

I'll let you guys know what it turns out to be.
Grunchy

Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 8:55 PM   #5

I just read a review of the new Kingston cards somewhere and they were highly rated. I use a standard speed 1GB Kingston in my C5 and it's fine. I think the larger ones would be great. Newegg.com seems to be the vendor of choice on SDHC cards with good prices and user reviews. For me it will be Transcend or Kingston,....I think.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 4:31 AM   #6

Well I got my $40 AData 8GB cheapie card from the post office today. I popped it in to the C6 with SDHC-compatible ROM update and yep, it sure does say 5 hours, 29 minutes, and 33 seconds of recording space. Woot!!

So then I checked if it were perhaps a fake. I did a full format, not a problem. I hooked it up to the PC and uploaded two full DVDs and then played them back, not a glitch. So it definitely held about 7.5 GB without losing any info. Terrific!

The only problem I have is with the class 2 nature of the SDHC card, which is supposed to mean a data writing speed of no less than 2 MB/s. One of the DVDs was 4.34 GB in size (4665 million bytes) and took about an hour to transfer onto the card. If the card is supposed to be writable at no less than 2 MB/s, for a blank card mind you, then it should be able to get that done in about 2333 seconds which is about 39 minutes. So by my reckoning, it is actually writing at closer to 12 Mb/s = 1.5 MB/s, which is actually a USB 1.1 speed!!

Transferring back to the computer was a bit better, it copied the same DVD back to the computer in 26 minutes. That is about 3 MB/s read speed, which in terms of multiples equates to a 20x card. Ouch!

I read here:
http://snipurl.com/1j20p
that somebody proposed reformatting the card with 32K blocks in order to speed it up, as with this computer command:

format f: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K

Well, it didn't work; the card was just as slow as ever. I'm not even sure that the Sanyo formatting isn't already with 32K blocks; I recorded some video on the PC format without a problem.

So in conclusion: the card was not a fake, however, considering the 20x speed rating and priced at $40 it wasn't a really great deal either. The C6 will never overwhelm the card's maximum recording speed with its 3 Mbps SHQ bit rate, which is only about 0.4 MB/s. But it'll be about an hour to off-load this card when fully-loaded... groan!

Old May 2, 2007, 9:07 AM   #7

It could be that you are just testing the speed of your card reader or the camera USB interface; whatever you were using, not the actual writing speed of the card in the camera. If you were using the camera, try a real card reader and see how fast that is, they vary.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 4:04 PM   #8

Yeah, you'd think Class 2 should provide a full 2MB/s write, but it is a cheaper "AData". But it's not that far off. I see you're disappointed with the transfer speed to the PC, but it is8GB of data, that's a lot for a little SD card. Class 2 beingthe lowest class for SDHC, I guess puts it in line with "regular" SD cards in terms of speed.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 3:11 PM   #9

No.... I don't think so.. actually I'm pretty surethat's how slow the AData card truly is. Mind you I don't have a separate card reader to confirm that, however my older Sandisk 2GB card was for sure faster at reading, its multiplier being about 60x.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's all the speed there is in writing onto that AData card: because how come it can read info off faster than write it, if it were not write-speed limited? I can't think of anything about the camera, computer, cables, etc. that could cause the data to be slower writing than reading; only the card.

Rats! And you know what, I am now -finally- seeing some class 4/6 cards available in the 8gb size. For months now I've been looking at pricegrabber.com and scanning for "8gb sdhc" and all it had were the class 2 cards. Oh well!!!!! (Nothing available in 16GB or 32GB sizes... yet....)