Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:08 PM   #1
arp

Hello,

My experiences to create DVDs with ulead movie factory 5 plus produce a DVD with noticeable loss os quality, dark video and jerky!

Anybody recomend other software to convert mp4 files to a universal format (DVD?) to share videos, that don't have this problems?

Ulead is easy to work, with many facilities, layout menus, etc... but have this problems for me!

Thanks
arp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2007, 4:29 AM   #2

I don't know if this is your solution, but I find ULEAD Movie Maker excruciating on my 512 gig ram Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz PC, unless I work around certain issues. Then it works great for authoring DVDs.
Before launching Ulead Movie Factory, I make all edit decisions in MPEG Streamclip (free,) or Virtualdub (free) if I want to use Deshaker, logo, or other filters. If needed, I'll add text, transitions and effects in Windows Movie Maker (provided with Windows XP
,) saving out discrete, individual clips of video in NTSC DV .avi format. You don't want them joined if viewers are to easily skip through them, or select them from a menu.
Next, I'll encode the clips for DVD (MPEG2) using Mediacoder (free). I find I can easily control and predict the file size and quality in Mediacoder, compared with Movie Factory options.
Now I can import the MPEG2 clips into ULEAD Movie Factory, and the video is written as .VOB and burned to DVD disc, without ULEAD MF ever encoding any video, except possibly motion menus. To keep from re-encoding, I do not use any ULEAD MF trimming, text, or effects, only the DVD authoring functions.
Maybe skip right to mediacoder, to see if this aproach can be your solution.

xactic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:19 PM   #3

I just got my CG6 2 days ago. Without installing any of the packaged software included i just used Nero software which was already installed in my system, selected create DVD, added the MP4 files, create a menu then burn. Played it in my DVD and it's done.

Comparing quality from the CG6 playing viewed directly on the TV and the burned DVD, everything looked good.

But ofcourse, i would like to do some little editing, menus, screen transitions but i'm not sure if Ulead has those options. I'll check later tonight. Too bad MP4 won't work in Windows Moviemaker which is a very straight forward basic movie editing tool. Maybe i'll try converting to avi's and see how much work is involved.

So far, i see the CG6 perfect for needs.My daughter's 5th birthday will be this Saturday and i'll see how these thing performs.
rrbarcarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:59 PM   #4

rrbarcarse wrote:
Quote:
[...]Maybe i'll try converting to avi's and see how much work is involved.[...]
For the CG6, MP4Cam2AVI(free)can do a direct transfer fromthe MP4 container to the AVI container without any conversion, it's simple and very fast. Only thing you need are Xvid or Divx (and perhapsAACbut MP4Cam2AVIcan convert the audio) codecs installed on your PC for Windows Movie Maker, or any other Windows softwareto be able toplay the AVI files.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 4:15 AM   #5
arp

xactic6,

Mediacoder don't work well at my PC! I think need install Firefox...

Somebody know any other program that convert mp4 to mpeg files fast with good quality?

I will try Nero... have menus too, so maybe a good choice...

Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:13 PM   #6

The software you want is MPEGstreamclip, freeware from http://www.squared5.com/

It has an option under the 'file' menu to "export to DV." This takes your MP4 file (eg from my C6) and experts a DV version which is superb quality.

All of the DVD software can convert the DV format to DVD without any effort whatsoever...

note: the DV file is large - 13 gig per hour of video.
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 5:58 AM   #7
arp

hi, thanks.
But this way need 2 conversions to make DVD. mp4 to avi to mpeg.
I think a program that can convert mp4 to mpeg is maybe beter (less convertions/loss) and fast solution... there is a good sw for that?

thanks
Old Apr 15, 2007, 11:15 PM   #8

Arp, another free GUI for conversion to MPEG2 is called SUPER. Majorgeeks.com has it, or go to the Super download site.
xactic6 is offline   Reply With Quote