Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 20, 2007, 5:07 PM   #1

Xacti CG65 or Panasonic GS320

Last edited by nixsaguru; Oct 25, 2012 at 5:40 PM.
nixsaguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2007, 7:10 PM   #2

The Panasonic will definately give you a higher quality video image, though the stills will probably only be average.

But what good is a high quality image, if you dread lugging the camera around. I would trade the image quality of the Panasonic for the portability of the CG65. Being able to pocket the CG65 means you'll take more pictures and video, although at a lower quality.

IMO
oxboxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:18 AM   #3

I agree, if you just want a camcorder, theGS320as a mature technology 3CCD camcorder with OIS, bigger lenses and sensors,will serve better for just video. But with an effective sensor resolution of only 0.5MP, it's certainly nohybrid. The CG65 is a true 6MP digicam hybrid, so it will serve well forboth stills and video. For trips the CG65 is a great tourism digicambecause takesvery goodphotos in outdoor light. The other thing to consider is video editing;DV videois amature technologyand broadly supported at this time; MPEG-4 AVC, although an ISO standard,is relatively new, and while it appears it willbe the future of video technology, it is not yet broadly supported.Personally I believeit may be similar now to the early days of JPEG, software support will eventually become pervasive. One thing I noticed is that to keep original DV video really means keepingall of yourDV tapes because it consumes too much space for backing up on hard drives or data DVDs. Whereas with the CG65 you only need a few SD cards and you canpreservecopies all of your original video on hard drives or data DVDs since it consumes relatively little space.

If you don't want to lug around both a digicam and a camcorder during your trip then the pocketable CG65 will serve very well. But if you just want a good camcorder, then the GS320might bethe better choice for now.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 2:30 PM   #4

Thank you so much for the information. It really helped me!
Old Apr 22, 2007, 1:34 PM   #5

To add to this, I used to have a JVC Super VHS-C camcorder which was pretty good quality (ie you couldn't tell the difference on the DVD's I made from those made with a miniDV) yet I would only tend to get it out for birthday parties and the odd trip. I certainly wouldn't take it with me on a say a training trip for work if it was somewhere interesting.

Anyway it eventually broke and I decided not to fix obsolete technology and was looking at getting a MiniDV. Then along came these tapeless devices. Hard drive camcorders were too expensive at the time, so I started playing with the memory card devices like the Aiptek and eventually the Sanyo's.

While they won't give me the same quality, they are GOOD ENOUGH for my purposes and I find that I am far more likely to take them with me. The conversion process of analog was tedious enough that I would tend not to do it straight away and although miniDV is already in digital format, it is still not convenient as the DV format size is too massive, therefore I still have to convert to some format and again it may not get done.

I am very happy with my tapeless devices. I just went with the family and a friends with his family to a wildlife refuge. The Aiptek was plenty good enough for seeing the kids enjoy the trip.

Now that the Hidef models are coming out, I doubt I will go back to tape when it comes time to upgrade my MPVR and C40.

For me, the tapeless devices shift the focus of them being tedious to them being fun.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:45 AM   #6

Thanks for the input, rgvcam!
Old Jul 1, 2007, 6:03 PM   #7

Kind of late to the party here but remember on that Panasonic model you mentioned that in order to do ANY transfers to your PC, you MUST take the battery out and plug it into AC Power THEN do your transfers. IMO thats a too big of a hassle.
DCSholtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 5:02 PM   #8

I'd cast a strong vote for the CG65. I just returned from a month in Sun Valley, Idaho, where the CG65 was always in my pocket. I knew I liked it before this trip but now I love it. I found one nice feature was being able to video without others knowing you were taking video. I got some wonderful shots at a buffet lunch at the Sun Valley Lodge without bothering anyone. Nancy Kerrigan showed up at the rink for practice and I got about 10 minutes of that. The editing features in the CG65 are wonderful and, to my taste, the quality of the video and stills is excellent. For me, videos and stills are memories for me,......not intended to entertain others, and I find everything about the CG65 to be nearly perfect. Color me a happy user!
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 10:22 PM   #9

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
[...]I found one nice feature was being able to video without others knowing you were taking video.[...]
It's funny, I've been getting that comment a lot from people recently;some aren'tthrilled about being candidly recorded. :blah: I've been recordinga lotby holding my elbow stuck to my hip for stability,tilting the LCD upwards and casually glancing down to check the shot, much like they recommend in the manual but with my forearm a little lower; since I'm not going around with a camera in front of my facemany aren't aware I'm filming.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 11:31 PM   #10

I have to say that these devices make it soeasy and funto record video, that sometimesyou canget a littlecarried away with enthusiasm as I have found myself.

Example, I was recording my wifein a small store here that sold baseball caps and clothing and the store owner got upset with me asking why I was videoing his store. I thought he was going to demand my camera at one point but I managed to talk myself out the situation so I make sure I don't video in stores now.

The problem is that even when it's obvious you are only recording your own family, you can still fall foul as I did in the UK in a mall. I took a photo or two of my son on a ride and security told me I couldn't take photos. I went into management the next day to ask why this policy thinking it was a security issue and that there were no signs anywhere saying "no cameras" or similar. They just said it was to protect their trademarks! I said if I wanted to photograph store trademarks I could go into the highstreet, to which she answered that I was correct but as the mall is a private establishment they could make any rule they wanted. What was odd, was that next to the area where you could get a photo taken with Santa, it had a sign asking people not to use their cameras as that is how they make their money (which I am in total agreement with and understand). If you are not allowed to use cameras period, then why this solitary sign next to Santa!

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote