Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 2, 2007, 1:14 PM   #1

So, I just got my CG-65 today, popped in two different 2gb Sandisk SD cards, and in both cases the camera pops up with memory card errors and will not format the cards.No, thecard lock is not on.How frustrating is that? Has anyone else had any instances of this?

Edit: after playing around a bit more, if I turn on the camera and THEN insert the SD card it seems to work fine. However, if I then turn the camera off and turn it back on, I get the error. Help?

bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2007, 3:51 PM   #2

Sounds really strange, are both cards the same make and model?
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 3:53 PM   #3

Both are Sandisk...different models though. One is Ultra and one is Extreme.
Old May 2, 2007, 4:22 PM   #4

I have had a similar problem with my CG65 that I just received on Monday. Twice, when I have turned the camera on, I have seen a screen that tells me the camera wants to format my SD card. Both times I have told it to go ahead. This last time, I waited for 10 to 15 minutes while the light blinked and the screen told me not to turn off the camera. Finally I decided it shouldn't take so long to format the card, and just popped the battery out (the camera wouldn't respond to any buttons). When I put the SD card in a USB card reader and looked at it on my computer, all the files that were there before were still there.

For now, I have decided that if the camera wants to format my SD card, I am going to pop the battery out, and reboot the camera. But I wish I knew what was going on.
thczv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 4:24 PM   #5

Interesting...and when you reboot, it seems to solve the problem?
Old May 2, 2007, 4:31 PM   #6

Never heard of this before. I imagine you also tried formatting the cards onyour PC. Could it be bad connections/dirty contacts, I don't know. I'veonly ever inserted SD cards whilethe cam was off.Perhaps you have a defective unit,yeah, thismust bereally frustrating for you. There is a site called Sanyo Service... I just found this entry in their knowledgebase, I've never used their tech. supportbut good luck.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 4:33 PM   #7

If it does not go away, I will return it to Amazon. I just hope it works tonight...son's band concert.
Old May 2, 2007, 4:41 PM   #8

I'm not sure it solves the problem, but rebooting makes the format screen go away, and let's me use the camera. When I don't have this formatting problem, my camera works fine. I don't run into this problem every time I turn the camera on. It has happened only twice.

I have been experimenting with the possibility that this problem has something to do with using the CG65 as an SD card reader. If memory serves, both times I had the formatting problem it was after I hooked the camera up to my PC with the USB cable, and then chose the Card Reader item from the menu that comes up on the camera. So, I have started using the second item on the menu that comes up (I can't remember exactly what it is called, but it makes my PC bring up the camera and photo wizard in Windows XP). It works just as well to get my photos and videos off the camra. Since my problem is intermittent, I won't know whether this helps until I do it for a while.

My card is a Toshiba 2 GB card.
thczv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 8:24 AM   #9

I am starting to think it was something to do with the two Sandisk cards...I tried my other 2GB card out of my Canon SD300 (not a Sandisk) and have not had the error message yet.

I am really liking the CG-65 so far, and am glad I found this forum. Has anyone found a case that works well for this camera?

I think my next purchase is a DVD burner so I can make some movies!
Old May 4, 2007, 12:59 PM   #10
lpm

bltkmt wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone found a case that works well for this camera?
I use the Tamrac 5686 for my CG6. I went to the local Ritz Cameras, tried out several, and preferred velcro over zippered because the lens cord kept getting stuck in the zipper. The case has a pocket in front that will hold a spare battery and memory card, kept in by velcro. The fit is a little snug around the lens, but it was the best fit among what they had.

http://www.adorama.com/TR5686BK.html
Attached Images

lpm is offline   Reply With Quote