Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 9, 2007, 7:11 AM   #1

Hi guys,

I've searched around quite a bit and found some similar topics, but unfortunately none of them really answer my specific question.

I'm pretty settled on buying one of these 2cameras, but I'm interested in people's opinions on the quality differences, particularly in low light.

I've seen the sample low light videos posted here, and to be honest the quality difference didn't seem thathuge to me. The colour was different, but in terms of detail and focus they seemed pretty comparable. I've also looked on the Sanyo site at their samples, but unfortunately they don't appear to have a low light sample for the CA6. They do have 2 for the CG6 - one with the extra low light mode enabled, one without. Would this be comparable to the difference between CA6 / CG6?? If so, the CA6 is out!

I'm essentially looking for a point and shoot camcorder / camera, which I can use on nights out (i.e. in dark pubs / clubs), but also during the day. The ability to use the CA6 in foul weather would be a huge bonus, but I'm not prepared to sacrifice too much on low light quality to get this.

I know neither are great for low light stills, but it's people's opinion on the difference between the 2 that I'm interested in.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give!

Martin.
mart123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2007, 11:25 AM   #2

I think the heart (I mean the sensor, video processing and low light video performance) of the CA6 and CG6 are pretty much the same. I have the CG6 and I had my hands on the C6 (mine, now sold) and CA6 (borrowed) for a short period of time for a quick comparison - read this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=27

(last time I checked, the links to my sample video clips are still active)

RE: low light still pictures - I would say the quality is average amongst other P&S cameras. There is little noise in the low ISO (50 and 100) settings, but noise increases significantly after 400. Nowever, try NOT to do too much "pixel peeping" (looking at the pictures in full size on the computer monitor), look at prints and decide.

IMO the CA6 is different only because it is weatherproof (which means "splashproof"), and it does NOT have a lens cap or tripod mount. I also found the construction of the CA6 plasticky. My suggestion is that, if you don't intend to use this outdoor mostly, get the CG6 instead.

One more thing to point out - DO NOT expect the camera to do magic when there is very little light, just because users posted reviews about "excellent low light performance" - yes most users believe the low light performance of the Xacti series (C6 and after) has "superior low light performance comparing with the video modes of other digital cameras". This DOES NOT MEAN it will capture gorgeous videos in very little light - what is "good (or acceptable) quality in very little light"? Well this is what you have to find out and decide yourself, because our definitions of "very little light" (or conditions to use the camera) are different.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 11:47 AM   #3

blindsight,

Thanks very much for your reply. I had indeed read through that thread and looked at the videos. That's what I was referring to when I mentioned that I couldn't see a huge difference in the low light performance in that example.

I don't suppose anybody has any example videos from one or the other (or idealy both!) in an even dimmer light?? - The sample of the girl on the CG6 section of the Sanyo website looks pretty impressive, but I'd like to see a "real" example so I can decide for myself. The main reason for my concern is that the Sanyo website states that the CA6 does ISO3600 videos at max, but the CG6 does ISO7200. My concern is that of the 2 samples of the woman in dim light, if the good one is ISO7200 whereas the bad one is ISO3600 - the 'bad' one is unacceptable IMO, but the 'good' one is fine for my use. It may also be thecase that the 'good' one is ISO7200, and the bad one is in full daylight mode - the website doesn't make it clear, hence my question. The dim light use would mainly be for goofy shots of my friends, so top quality isn't necessary, as long as I can see something other than just darkness!

Thanks again,

Martin.
mart123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 2:45 PM   #4

I have a CG6, I would be happy to take a sample video for you in "low light" if you specify the light level. Just use a camera as a light meter, say light that would require a 1/2 second exposure at F3.5 ISO 100 or something, that way you will get exactly what you want.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote