Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 25, 2007, 2:49 PM   #11

Holding the C65 steady,.....I've been killing some time just shooting practice videos so that using this C65 will be second nature when quail season opens next fall.

I found one truth, at least for me, that may help others to steady the camera when shooting videos. I always have the strap around my neck and noticed that it limits the distance from my eye that I can hold the camera. For me, it needs to be a little longer. I am steadier with my arm more extended and can also see the screen a little better with these tired old eyes. I'm hunting for a longer strap.

No big deal, of course, but I am DEFINITELY steadier with my arm more extended.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 3:24 PM   #12

Re: strap...I didn't even put mine on yet. Running two sets of cords (the othe being the lens cap cord) through that small opening seemed daunting...
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 3:40 PM   #13

BLT,......Jeeeeez, I had forgotten that chore. It was a challenge and now I sort of dread finding a longer strap.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:03 PM   #14

Hi. I am strongly considering buying the CG65. What is the shutter lag on this cam? I am hoping to use this as my main digicam as well... Thanks.
fibonacci11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 2:02 PM   #15

I now have the CG65 and am starting a review for the camera. It is OK but it has many shortcomings, for one it has no burst mode for stills. Shutter lag is a problem if you want to take more than one picture. Outside I got about three seconds between shots.

I am comparing it to a few other cameras or camcorders, A Canon GL-1 camcorder, a Panasonic S-150, and our old Olympus C-750 supper zoom. I will also throw in a standard Canon camcorder to be fair.

Right now the GC65 is taking quite a beating but all the other cameras are a lot more expensive.
ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 9:27 AM   #16

Just one quick one regarding shortcuts, if you notice you get different options depending on what position you choose. I cant remember off the top of my head but something like manual focus could only be made a shortcut in the UP position and not in the LEFT, RIGHT or DOWN. Interesting.

I have mine setup as

UP - Manual Focus

Right - ISO (it is much better to select the iso rather than rely on auto as this usually sets the ISO too high and you get unnescessary noise)

Down - Focus Lock (essential for focus hunting problems - zoom in, focus and then focus lock. Zoom out and start shooting.)

Left - Flash (as some shots work out better without the flash!!!!!!! stupid but true)

I also have my image settings set to VIVID as I personally like the slightly saturated colour look. It does not make a huge difference but sometimes I find the colors a bit wishy washy.

I also find the wind noise reduction filter useless, turn it off, if its windy you will get noise anyway and if its not your audio will sound muffled.

When I encode the video to MPEG or whatever I always set the bitrate to 15000, the resulting filesize is a bit bigger but the quality is kept identical to the H264 quality.

Thats my two cent.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:10 PM   #17

I thinkshutter lag is less than a second, I don't really see that as a problem. But yes, shot-to-shot can take seconds. I think it's similar to what was in Steve's conclusion of his review for the older Xacti C6, hewrites of that camera (probably similar for the CG65):
Quote:
Shutter lag, the time from depressing the shutter release and capturing an image, was 1/10 of a second when pre-focused and about 6/10 of a second including autofocus. When shooting a sequence of still images, the shot to shot delay averaged 2.1 seconds without the flash and 2.5 - 5 seconds with the flash, depending on the distance from the subject. Unfortunately, the C6 does not offer any type of Burst mode; but who needs a burst mode when you have such a high quality movie mode at your finger tips?
TheTurk wrote:

Quote:
[...]something like manual focus could only be made a shortcut in the UP position and not in the LEFT, RIGHT or DOWN. Interesting.[...]
I hadn't noticed that, it looks like focus can only be set to UP or DOWN. I'm guessing it might be because manual focus requires left and right to set it, which could be confused with trying to change the focus type.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote