Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 18, 2007, 11:05 AM   #1

While I'm waiting for my CG 65 to arrive I've been reading the forums again. There are some good tips that others have pointed out and I've tried a few of them in my soon to be retired C5.

Caelum suggested a way to keep the autofocus from hunting in videos is to momentarily press the still picture to focus button before starting to video. I tried this in the C5 and it works beautifully, eliminating one of the problems I've had with the camera.

Another tip was to lock the focus when taking video of distant subjects but simply moving the toggle switch up momentarily. Happy to say, this works too.

The only thing I can offer is the way I move video clips from the camera to DVD. I simply select "Play all" in the camera then plug into a DVD recorder and record DVDS with no problem. I haven't had much luck with making DVDs with my computer. Perhaps I just don't have the right program. I prefer to edit in camera and just burn to the DVD with the recorder.

Maybe we can get some participation on this thread from folks who have a tip or a trick in using their Sanyo Xacti that the rest of us can benefit from.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2007, 11:11 AM   #2

I am now realizing how much we depend on Caelum! May your PC troubles be solved!:-)
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 11:54 AM   #3

bltkmt (Bacon, lettuce and tomato is obvious but what is kmt?),

You said a mouthful regarding Caelum. He not only knows his stuff but is able to present it in a friendly, down to earth and non technical manner. Even I understand most of what he says!

Hurry back Caelum, before we break something!

Old May 18, 2007, 4:56 PM   #4

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
bltkmt (Bacon, lettuce and tomato is obvious but what is kmt?),
blt=my initials and kmt=the wife's...not too deep...i do love blt sandwiches though!
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 7:22 PM   #5

I received my CG65 on Saturday and I'm quite impressed, especially with the quality of stills, but I need more practice with my video clips. So here's my initial commentary... After using the camera for a few hours, I need to work out how to hold it. I have average sized hands and firmly holding the camera is tricky, especially when it's time to push the still or video button. I'm sure it's something I'll get accustomed to, but I need more practice. I handled the HD2 and it fits better in my hand, but doesn't fit my wallet.

The lens cap is really, REALLY, snug. I put the cap on with the plastic loop sticking over the side of the camera, so I have something to help pry it off. The flash is very weak and is only effective within 6 feet.

The menu system is very intuitive and easy to navigate. I am using the following settings, ISO 50, IS off, TV-SHQ for video, 6mp-H for stills, focus is standard, wind noise reduction on, center-weighted for exposure, spot focus, D Zoom off, and noise reduction off. I especially like the ability to assign button functions to the joystick, that's a great idea. I assigned AF lock, ISO, Flash and Focus to the joystick for quick access.

I'm a stickler for image quality (acknowledging the obvious limitations of this camera), so everything is set to the highest quality. Effects, down-rezing, etc, can all be done in my computer. I want the stills and video as unaltered as possible. Also, while you can take the CG65 output directly into a DVD recorder for making DVDs, it means your digital signal is being converted to analog, then back to digital and the quality of the image will be sacrificed.

I purchased two 2GB Kingston 50x Elite Pro cards, one card came with a free reader. Why didn't I purchase a 4 or 8 SDHC card? I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket if that basket might be lost or corrupted during a one-time event. I'd rather swap cards halfway through a vacation. I also bought a spare battery.

Some things I'd like to see on the camera…the option to turn off scene selection, the option to turn on/off IS separately for stills and video.

But in the end, the portability really trumps the video quality. One camera that does great stills and acceptable video that fits in my pocket...I'm satisfied.

That's about it for now. I have more experimenting to do and I'll post more in the future.
oxboxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 9:05 PM   #6

Thanks oxboxx for sharing. Glad to see you're pleased with it.

(Oh, and S. & b., you're embarrasing me, I'm just another enthusiast here.)

For CG65 tips,there isSanyo's Let's shoot more movies (CG65)video tips site...but the CG65 manual is good and has lots of 'em.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 1:35 PM   #7

Image Stabilizer works for me,…….I've read here and there that using the image stabilizer reduces the quality of the video so I decided to do some tests today on my walk.
I took several shots of the same subjects, stabilizer on and stabilizer off, max zoom out and no zoom used. I used shots of signs with bushes and trees in the background. The results, at least to me, are very conclusive.
My hand is probably as steady as the average persons but I found that the shots with the stabilizer off were rather wobbly. This was very apparent when zoomed out to 5X but obvious on all settings. When I played these videos on a normal Sony TV, I could see no difference in the image quality. There probably is some degradation, at least in theory, but I just couldn't notice it.
I will use my CG6 the way I did my C5, image stabilization setting "B". This was initially recommended by Steve in his C5 review.
Old May 24, 2007, 11:36 AM   #8

I just ran my own image stabalization tests (zooming and panning / Focus lock ON & OFF). I'm definitely a proponent of Image Stabalization. I also noticed that there's no difference in the final video whether you select A or B."A" shoots exactly what you see on the LCD, whereas "B" shows you a cropping frame - and that's what you get on the video.

According to the manual - if you're shooting mostly videos, then select A. If you're shooting mostly stills - then select B.

I do have a question regarding stills and opinions re 6M-S or 6M-H. Any feedback would be appreciated.

By the way, I also took a look at the included Sanyo S/W re converting videos to AVI etc. - it appears that it can do lots of interesting stuff, but there's way too many options for me to understand. I did use Streamclip to convert a file to AVI and played it in Windows Media Player - it looked great. Any recommendations re either of these two S/W options?

Thanks,

Bob NG
Bob NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 12:53 PM   #9

Bob NG,...I haven't shot any stills yet with the CG65 so I can't make an intelligent comment.

About stab A or B,...I tried it both ways. The reason(s) I'm using B is that it allows me to see what I will be getting either on a still or a video (the outlined area) but the real reason is probably that Steve recommended this in a review of the C5 and so I'm used to that mode. In other words, whether your first shot out of your pocket is going be a still or a video, it's easy to determine exactly what the image will be.

Shortcut settings,.....an interesting improvement, I think, is the ability to set whatever you want to set as a shortcut for the selector button. I used what the book suggested at first since it was similar to my C5, the "focus lock" requiring an up push on the knob. However, I changed it today so "focus lock" is a down click and "manual focus" is up. Basically, "focus lock" is about the only shortcut I ever use and it's much more natural for me to pull the button down than push it up. When I push up during video I get some really bad jiggles. Probably depends on hand size and holding technique but that works for me.

I hope more owners will pitch in with users tips. We can take them or leave them but some may help us.
Old May 24, 2007, 4:34 PM   #10

On the subject of shortcuts, what I was looking for was a shortcut key that would let me easily switch Scene Select modes. I use the camera mostly indoors, where the light isn't that great. When I am shooting video indoors, I almost always want the camera in Lamp mode, which seems to work great. But when I am shooting still photos indoors, lamp mode reduces the resolution way too much, so I want to be in Full Auto mode (usually). I find myself switching back and forth between Full Auto and Lamp modes, depending upon whether I am shooting still photos or video. I hate having to go all the way through the menu to do it.

Is there an easier way?

thczv is offline   Reply With Quote