Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:45 AM   #21

Further observations:

LenP has perspicaciously pointed out that the battery door is fiddly. I have found that this may be a critical factor in keeping the camera. There is no big problem in ensuring the door is closed properly - you must press on the end and look to see that the red indicator is not showing. But, just try opening the door. After installing the SD card and battery and leaving the unit overnight, the door would initially not open. It took over a minute of fiddling to get it open. I was not amused. You must use your thumbnail with a flicking motion –this will soon leave a mark or wear down the plastic switch.

Macro focus: Well it did not initially work on the camera this morning. I tried about 5 times without success. Then on the sixth time there was a sharp crack from the camera and then macro worked. Another mark against the unit.

Focus: I don't hear any AF focus noise currently (except for that one snap).

Video: Improved over the CG6. It almost looks ok on shots beyond 40 feet. There is improved detail but "CD" quality it is not.

Shortcuts: You only get two instead of the 4 on the CG6. You cannot select MF as an option. The only options are AF Lock, Focus (Macro and normal toggle), Flash, Exposure, ISO and Self-timer.

Backlight: You can select a light measuring mode. You can now take pictures of individuals that are brightly backlit.

Bezel: The joystick is now only for pressing ok. The bezel has all the control. This has presented some problems as the soft switch on the joystick is sometimes inadvertently pressed when you are using the bezel (EG when zooming on a captured image; pressing the joystick initiates the scroll function.)

Cable: The USB to PC cable has a different camera end than the CG6. It is much thinner.

Volume: The playback volume using the camera is weaker than on the CG6. This is probably related to the waterproofing.

PC modes: To plug in the cable, you must open the battery compartment. As the battery door is open, you must be very careful in turning on the camera, rotating it (or you head) to read the screen and then carefully pressing the joystick button. You don't want to bend the battery door.

Waterproof depth: The maximum depth is not 5 feet; it is 1.5 meters which is 4.92 feet.

And now the big one – Warranty: There is no warranty on the waterproofing. The Canadian warranty specifically excludes the rubber seal. Also, I looked at the extended warranty I purchased and it specifically excludes water damage. As such, use the camera underwater at your own risk.
mobiusloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:54 PM   #22

mobiusloop wrote:
Quote:
[...]Then on the sixth time there was a sharp crack from the camera and then macro worked.[...]
:Oyikes! Do you hear a loose piece when you shake it ordo you think it was a stuck gear? When you say macro, you mean that the rest of the focus range worked but going down to macro did not? I guess the waterproofing is also keeping the motor noise down (no focus noise), that's a good thing.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 2:42 PM   #23

Caelum

Macro focused when just viewing. When I went to take a picture, it just refused to beep and lock. As such, macro photos were out of focus. There was sufficient light. The macro did subsequently beep with the same lighting after the "noise". There was no sound of anything loose in the camera. Perhaps the noise came from the light on my desk or from the case of my laptop.

================================
Even further observations:

The sun came out and I was able to try the camera under "normal" conditions.

Viewfinder: To make it waterproof, there is a sheet of shiny plastic about 1/16[sup]th[/sup] of an inch above the screen. Accordingly, viewing on a bright day is very difficult. I played with the backlight but there was little difference between the low and high settings.

Digital Zoom: The camera refused to focus (make a beep) when taking a picture on the higher end of the digital zoom. I do not know if this is the norm. It will take a properly focused picture on the optical zoom.

Battery: With about a half hour of playing around, less than 10 pictures and 5 minutes of video, the battery is out of power. I will be timing usage after this recharge. Based on my memory, the CG6 seemed to last longer; at this time I can only make a subjective observation.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 7:05 PM   #24

mobiusloop wrote:
Quote:
[...]Perhaps the noise came from the light on my desk or from the case of my laptop.[...]
Hopefully, I can't imagine a "sharp crack" coming from the camera's tiny lens focusing mechanism,oreventhe zoom mechanism for that matter.

Oh, and about the autofocus, it will notlockon (beep)if the autofocus mode/distance and zoom are out of whack with the distance of the subject (I think somewhere aroundpage 78in your manual). So for example if you are using telephoto zoom on a close subject,autofocus probably won't lock on.

Oh, and by the way, for anyone interested: Sanyo Xacti Europe has put the english manuals (for the European models, should be identical to E1except model number) up for download, get them here (right-click, save as...): Instruction Manual, Software Manual andSafety Manual.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 9:07 PM   #25

The camera made another unusual noise while taking a picture outside. It was like a short metallic twang.

As to the auto focus, I ensured that the correct focus was selected and can now confirm that there is a lack of auto focus locking (no beep) when taking a picture with digital zoom (using 9 point or spot focus). I can see the picture fairly clearly but no beep.

Objective observation: The microphone on the E1 is definitely not as sensitive as the CG6. There was a loud morning dove on the chimney next door and the camera just barely picked it up. Also, I have noted the lack of background noise – it's so quiet. I have to have my notebook at full volume to hear the playback. I have noted that higher pitched sounds, such as children in the background some distance away, could be heard. I checked that the noise filter was not on. This may have something to do with the waterproofing attenuating low frequencies.

My unhappiness with the product grows.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 4:21 AM   #26

Mobiusloop - Sorry to hear that you seem to be having troubles. Perhaps your camera is faulty? I'm still too busy at work to give the camera a proper testing, but so far I have not had any strange noises coming from my camera and it seems to focus pretty well at both ends of the zoom (but I am not making use of digital zoom - I have never seen the point of this feature for anyone with access to a computer). Macro focusing worked fine too. I can't make comparisons with previous Xacti's, as this is my first, but mine is very quiet indeed (apart from the annoying spoken messages which I think I shall turn off). I also haven't noticed the battery door being any more difficult to open after a period of time - but I shall have another look. As you said, you can tell if it is properly closed as there should be no red showing. I shall also check the UK wording in the guarantee - however, as with all 'waterproof' goods it is very difficult to guarantee something which can be abused (is the leak due to adesign/assembly issueor because the camera went below 1.5 meters ?) so I suspect the wording will be very similar.
LenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:48 AM   #27

LenP

Digital zoom can be quite blocky but did come in handy once.

The battery door opened fine this morning. The macro focus worked ok. The focus locked on most of the digital zoom pictures. Very strange.

The audio low frequency deafness continues. Tried in a room where only the only distinct and present noise was the medium loud sound of a fan from a piece of equipment. The camera did not pick it up but I did hear the focusing clicks (not a problem).
Old Jul 6, 2007, 4:24 PM   #28

Nearing the end of testing:

TV playback video using best quality is excellent and a vast improvement on the CG6.

TV playback audio is dismal even with the audio up high on the camera. I have to crank the volume way up to hear and the low tones are missing. The lack of volume is also exhibited when playing back the MP4s on the computer. The audio is much lower than the demo MP4s on Sanyo's site; however one of their underwater videos is comparable to the missing audio - it is the "Shooting Near Water, Ocean in Okinawa" clip. http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...ips/index.html Note the missing audio.

If I play one of my videos using the same audio settings as used on the Sanyo site there is little to be heard. I need to put volume and wave volume to maximum.

Back it goes unless I can find a microphone volume setting for the camera.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 9:53 AM   #29

Does the DL40 battery work with the VPC-E1, cause it can last longer ?
EWONGCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 9:53 AM   #30

Does the DL40 battery work with the VPC-E1, cause it can last longer ?
EWONGCA is offline   Reply With Quote