Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:39 PM   #1

I am pretty much decided to buy the cg65 but the only thing that is stopping me is my concern that I may not be able to burn DVDs from the mp4 clips.
I read a few topics discussing this but found no definitive answer.
I would like to know anybody has success getting CG65 video to DVD using the regular DVD burner.

Appreciate your help.

amrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2007, 9:04 PM   #2

amrav wrote:
Quote:
[...]I would like to know anybody has success getting CG65 video to DVD using the regular DVD burner.[...]
I've hadgreat successmakingvideo DVDs from my edited CG65 videos on my PC with a regular DVD burner.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 9:54 PM   #3

Thanks Caelum,

I remember you mentioned using sony vegas. Can you tell me if there is any other reasonably priced software that will help burning DVDs ?
Can you direct me if there are posts guiding through the process in this forum(I did search but could not find any) ?

thanks again.

Old Jun 20, 2007, 3:47 AM   #4

Ulead Videostudio 11 takes the CG65 clips no problem, save as DVD format, burn to disk and hey presto!

You can also use mp4toavi or mpeg streamclip to convert the files to avi so they can be used with any editor but videostudio does the job well enough. Download a trial from the ulead website.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:37 AM   #5

Thanks turk.
Just one last question.
do all the tools you mentioned keep the video quality intact when you convert or
is there any degradation of quality ?

I think I am going to join the CG65 club.
I actually bought a sony dvd108 camcorder few days ago but
I am so disapponted with the picture quality. I am going to return it.

Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:00 AM   #6

It totally depends on what you encode it to, if you encode it to MPEG2 DVD format you do loose a bit of the quality as the resolution is stretched from 640*480 to 720*576 (PAL) and you also get the jittery playback as you convert from 30fps to 25fps so for dvd I convert to NTSC which is lower resolution so its closer to the xacti resolution and it stays at 30fps.

That the main problem with the xacti range, 640*480 at 30fps is not the ideal res and fps..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I also have a hard disk player so I usually convert to MPEG2 at 640*480 resolution, 30fps and a bit rate of 15000kbps which keeps the quality almost identical to the H264 clip. Large file size but it looks great.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Anyway, thats my 2 cent. I love my CG65, as with other models it has its problem but for something that can fit in your pocket its great. i went to the shrek3 premiere last night and got some video and photos of my son with shrek, no lugging around a camcorder bag just take the CG65 out of my pocket and away you go....

looking forward to seeing what comes from Sanyo in the future.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:19 AM   #7

amrav,yes, asTheTurk points out,the Xacti series record using the NTSC 30fps standard, which is ideal if you live in an NTSC country, not as much if you live ina PAL country, whichmight require a conversion in frame rate (butI think theSony DVD108 is an NTSC camcorder, so I assume you live in an NTSC country and this is not an issue for you). Regarding quality degradation, since the bit rate used for DVD MPEG-2can bequite high it allows to preserve the original quality, the importantpart is how well the resampling and conversion isperformed by software.

The CG65 comes with Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5.0 SE, it should work to do this. If you have a Mac, the built-insoftware will do it all: iMovie, iDVD. Otherwise creatinga Video DVD should be very similar to how you do it already.Ifyour favoritesoftware does not support the new MP4 format, then youmight need to transfer theMP4 into an AVI container using the latest MP4Cam2AVI (free) and install the necessary AVC/AAC codecs (ffdshow, also free). There is a lot of free software available to do this, but somedo requirea level oftechnical prowess.There should be quite a few affordable programs out there that support the MP4 format now, as more and more do.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:47 AM   #8

Thanks for all the help. I am in US.
I am all excited now. I am planning to order it from warehouse123.
Is the warranty they offer any good in US?
They are offering a bonus kit with batery, case etc.
Is the case they include any good ?
I want to buy an elegent and form fitting case like this one. Any help where can I buy this kind of case for cg65 ?

Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:03 PM   #9

I can't answer your questions about accessories, but warehouse123 is based in Hong Kong, so warranty will not becovered in the US.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:15 PM   #10

Amrav...one thing to keep in mind...if you're not happy with the image quality of the Sony DVDcamcorder, the CG65 won't be any better. And if the Sony was set to the highest quality setting, the CG65 will look worse.

I really like my CG65, but you're trading portability for image quality. The CG65 does take excellent stills, but the video quality can't compete with a dedicated DVD camcorder.

And I'm looking into getting Adobe Premiere to take the CG65 video files and convert/burn them to DVD, but I haven't tried it yet.
oxboxx is offline   Reply With Quote