Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:48 PM   #1

Hi Folks,

First, want to say that I think the CG65 is the most amazing gadget that I personally have owned. I absolutely love this camera and have captured many great moments that I would have missed with any other camera. I have zero complaints about video quality, none. The zoom is quiet and autofocus seems fine and quiet. Well, I guess I wish it took better flash shots. The range is short and the red eye is horrible. However, I'm really into this for outdoor shots on my quail hunting trips. It has already proven to be much more versatile than I expected, including good indoor videos.

I use the in camera editing extensively, primarily eliminating some clips and joining several clips into little chapters for DVD making. The "Cut" procedure, however, has so far baffled and frustrated me. I think I can read and follow directions as well as most but I'm simply missing something. No matter what I do, I am only able to cut and save the last part of a clip. When I try to save the first part, it saves the last part as well as the entire clip. There seems to be no way of saving just the first part????

Does anyone else use this feature that could break the code for me? If you don't want to clutter up the forum, [email protected]. Thanks folks.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2007, 8:10 AM   #2

Hi, I'm not sure I understand the problem. In cut mode, moving the thumbstick up willswitch fromthe beginningto theend of the cut points. The cut points are the the two littlevertical bars on the video timeline. The currently selected cut point will appear orange, the unselected cut point will appear grey. If, as soon as you enter cut mode,you immediately push up on the thumbstick, you will switch to the end cut point, leaving the beginning cut point at the beginning of the file. Then Hold the thumstick to the left until the end cut point starts playing backwards, then subsequent taps to the left will increase the (reverse) playback speed (up to 15x). Once the end cut point is near where you want it, press set twice toplay and then pause. You can then tap left or right to move frame by frame to the exact end cut point, then press the shutter to save your new clip. It should save from the beginning to the point you set.

Edit: here is a screenshot from Sanyo's web page where you can see the cut points on the video timeline, in this shot the end cut point is currently active (it's orange). The green part of the timeline represents what will be saved out as a new clip. If youleave the beginning cut pointat the beginning of the timeline,only the end will be cut off:

[align=center][/align]
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 10:01 AM   #3

Caelum,

You describe what,.....I think?,.....I did. I'm going to give it another try today. Thanks for trying to help. At least I know I'm trying the right method.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 11:52 AM   #4

Caelum,

You should hire out as a consultant to the manual writers. I thought I was doing what you suggested but wasn't. I've got it now,....thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2007, 3:02 PM   #5

Actually I just re-read what I wrote and it looks a little confusing, but I'm glad you figured it out and it's working out for you now.

Cheers.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 3:53 PM   #6

The key to all this was your pointing out that moving the selector up changes the cut point from front to back. I don't recall it being spelled out quite that well in the manual. I've been working on this with some practice videos and it's working well. I consider the in camera editing a major feature of this little jewel.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:43 PM   #7

Piling on my own thread to tout the in camera editing features of the CG65 once again.

Last month I took a video of my grandson's Kindergarten graduation and have been "filling orders" for copies of the DVD for family and friends. I tacked the graduation video at the end of other family video clips.

Watching this graduation, though I found it interesting the first time, I realized that there was a section in the middle where a young minister talked for what seemed like forever. So, I wanted to cut out about half of his talk, leaving some of the beginning and some of the end.

I went to work on this in a very top end Panasonic DVD recorder and finally got the job done. However, once separated and trimmed, the new sections cannot be joined together again in the Panasonic.

So, I cut graduation from 20 minutes to about 12 minutes but now it is 2 chapters on the DVD instead of one. It would have been much easier to do in the CG65 before saving both the long and short versions to the DVD writer's hard drive.

I'd like to buy a cool one for the guy that developed the in camera editing features of the CG65. You can't go wrong.