Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 8, 2007, 1:05 PM   #1

Hi,

I ordered a CG65 from Prestige Camera on Friday, and they sent me an email today asking me to call them to confirm my order, which I found kind of odd. So I called them and the rep. asked me for my order number and personal info. (name, address, etc.).

He said that everything was all set, but he noticed that I hadn't ordered a battery as well, which surprised him. I asked him if the battery didn't come with it (which might have explained the $265 price tag), and he told me that it came with a battery but that it only lasts 20-30 minutes, and that they had another one I could order that lasted longer.

Is this true? I thought the battery was supposed to last about 45 minutes to an hour.

I told him I would mess around w/ the camera w/ the supplied battery and see if I am satisifed. He said ok, have a good day, and then he hung up immediately. To me, it seems pretty obvious that I had to call him only so he could try to sell me the battery.

Any word on CG65 supplied battery life? Thanks!
jack963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2007, 3:21 PM   #2

The OEM Sanyo Battery lasts about an hour of continuous use; every time you close the monitor it goes in standby mode, so when not shooting continuously it's longer. I do have spare batteries, they are very handy. But I've yet tohear of a third partybattery that lasts longer than theoriginal Sanyo made batteries,don'tbelieve high mAh claims on third party batteries, they are often made up.

As for Prestige Camera and company... well just check out some of the reviews at ResellerRatings. It'stheir tactic to make you call them to pressure sell more stuff. I hope it works out for you...
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 3:51 PM   #3

Prestige, Broadway, and other names are actually the same disreputable company. I've purchased from them before but really regret it. The experience was very unpleasant. At this point, I wouldn't even let them give me a camera. Check your bill and you may find you paid more than you agreed to and almost certainly more for shipping. Also, you are not getting the guarantee you thought you were getting,.....even if you paid extra. They should not only be put out of business, they should be prosecuted. $10-15 bucks here and there adds up to grand larceny.

By the way, I got the same pitch for a battery when I bought my C5 several years ago. They said the furnished battery was a "starter" battery and would last about 20 minutes and probably not take a charge. The battery they were selling lasted about four and a half hours according to them. Wonder if they ever get anyone to bite on that yarn.

Those folks are sleezy,.....super sleezy, in fact.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 7:32 PM   #4

Wow, you (and those reviews) have really made me worry now. I hope it arrives in new condition and I don't get charged extra or anything.

I received an email this afternoon saying my order has been processed. Should I just call them tomorrow morning and try to cancel the order? Or might it be too late since it said the order was processed?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:16 AM   #5

I think I'd just take my chances at this point. Your camera will likely be new and will probably work just fine w/o need for warranty work. These are good cameras and the ones sold by Prestige, though "Gray Market" come with all US manuals etc.

Worst that can happen is you'll be charged a few bucks more than you agreed to. If you call their customer service they will offer to credit your card a few dollars (but won't actually do so). If you say no, they'll offer to have you send the camera back,......and I don't think that would work well.

If it isn't exactly what you ordered, though, just cancel through your card company and then send it back.

Being realistic and optimistic,....I expect your camera to be fine and I know this,.....you will absolutely love it. It's a great camera. The bad taste in your mouth from Prestige will soon disapear.

Let us know how you like the camera.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 9:22 PM   #6

Setter Dog, thanks for the input. I'm typically more of an optimsitic person as well, but all of these horror stories really spooked me. I called Prestige this morning with the mindset that I'd ask when it should arrive and if it was supposed to arrive before Thursday (I need it by Friday), then I'd take my chances and keep the order. If not, I'd cancel it. He said it may ship today, but probably tomorrow, which I meant I most likely wouldn't receive it before Friday, so I just cancelled the order, and they gave me no trouble.

I went to B&H in Manhattan this afternoon and picked up a CG65 there. I spent $75 more in the end, but at least I have the piece of mind that I have a legitimate product, and I don't have to worry about being charged incorrectly or returning the camera and paying for shipping and restocking free.

It just finished charging, and I am very pleased with a couple of sample videos I shot in my apartment. I'll get some good use out of it this weekend and see what I think.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:45 PM   #7

Jack,

You may have dodged a bullet,......in any case, you are going to enjoy the CG65. It is truly a great little camera.

Let us know how you make out with it and what your impressions are.

I'm retired and have lots of time to study these things and I seriously considered the HD2, the TX1 Canon etc. I am very happy with my choice of the CG65.