Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:57 PM   #1

Hello,

I've just got the xacti CA65 and i am running some tests with it.

I took some stills and find that the barrel distortion is quite severe. For instance taking a photo of a window at the widest angle (window frame close to the edge of the LCD) leads to the vertical sides of the window being significantly bent towards the middle.

CG65 / CA65 owners do you experience the same ?

Thanks a lot for your answers.
ac3dts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2007, 4:16 PM   #2

I think this is to be expected in such a small camera with tiny lens elements and higher-than-average (38-190 mm 5x) zoom. This is very common in any point & shoots with tiny lenses (eg. the "folded lens" cameras like Sony T series, (some) Nikon S series and the Fuji Z series).
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:03 AM   #3

Hello,

Thank you for your answer blindsight.

Sure small optics can lead to aberration such as mentionned, but my main concern is the level of the barrel distortionI see with the CA65 and I was wondering if my unit is faulty.

To CG65 owners (same optic as CA65), could you please take some stills at 6M widest angle with some vertical lines at the edges? Your observation will be then very welcome.

Thank you very much in advance.
ac3dts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 8:10 AM   #4

I noticed the very same "problem" a couple of weeks ago, and frankly, I was quite surprised at how severe the barrel distortion was while taking a photo (since I hadn't noticed it in video mode).

But I quickly "corrected" the problem by slightly zooming the lens. After thinking about it some more, I realized that barrel distortion should be expected in a small 5x zoomlens when set at the equivalent of a wide angle 38mm. Once the lens is zoomed a little (so that it's not "wide angle")then the barrel distortion disappears.

I don't know whether anyone on this board can do some more sophisticated testing to determine what the lens setting is when the distortion disappears.
Bob NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:28 PM   #5

Bob NG,

Another good tip,......zoom just a tad before taking a still. I haven't taken many stills but this will probably become a habit of mine.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 2:02 AM   #6

I have (or rather, had, since I returned my CG65 for a different reason ) also experienced the barrel distortion. It is indeed severe, but it didn't really bother me at all since you can work around it by backing off and then zooming in a bit.

Overall, the picture quality of the CG65 is truly amazing. It even managed to outperform my Canon 710IS in some situations. And the video is superb.

IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote