Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 19, 2007, 4:48 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

I've just upgraded from a C6 to a CG6 for a few reasons (charging from mini USB is the same as my phone, PDA and GPS unit which is handy!), but also the larger screen. However, I've noticed the CG6 screen is not as good as the C6. Icons etc. are more jagged. Then I noticed the C6 screen is 210,000 pixels, while the CG6 is 110,000 pixels....quite a drop.

Why would Sanyo put a lower quality screen on the newer model? Is it a cost issue?

Overall I'm still 50/50 on the CG6. The lack of a case like the C6, and the slightly bulkier top and lower quality screen are offset by the larger size of screen on it, slightly better lower light performance and the charging over mini USB. So overall I'm not 100% convinced this is a great step up which is a shame really.

Best wishes

Vince
vincesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:10 AM   #2

Vince,

I can't speak to your situation exactly. I have the CG65, upgraded from the C5. I am very pleased with every aspect of performance. The videos are like night and day.The CG65 is just a great little camcorder. The in camera editinng and the new video format are major improvements.

About the screen, ...I didn't know they had changed the resolution. To my eye the larger 2 1/2 screen seems better than the 2" screen on my C5.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:08 PM   #3

Hi Setter,

If you've gone from a C5, I can see the improvement! I went from a C5 to a C6, and the low light performance between the two was the main thing that made me move over - Its a huge improvement.

As for the display...I've found the CG6 display now just a little grainier than the C6, so when focusing in movies its not quite so easy to tell when the camera has focused correctly. For photos, its not such an issue as you've got the focus square to tell you.

These are fairly niggly complaints however, I still find the Xacti form factor perfect for my needs, and considering the prices are about half what I paid for my C5, hopefully its an indication that its selling well.

The slightly bigger bulk of the CG6 isn't so great...but then again, its packing a 2.5 inch display, so you can't have it both ways!

I've stayed away from the CG65 due to being a bit unsure about how I'll edit and burn the new MP4 format using my exsting software etc. maybe I'm just being a bit over-cautious!

Best wishes

Vince
Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:10 PM   #4

Vince,

You touched on the single thing about the CG65 that I think is not as good as the C5. The slightly larger bulk and the rocker arm zoom lever. Personally, the C5 seemed to be easier to handle and the sliding zoom control was much easier for me to manage without jiggling the camera.

I have been amazed at the low light performance of the CG65. Frankly, I had never much cared about this since my shooting is primarily in the hills while I'm quail hunting with my dogs. I use it to keep a video diary of our trips which I enjoy during the offseason. I wound up taking the CG65 to my grandson's K'garten graduation and took videos of the entire ceremony. They are simply excellent from inside a church. I've tried a few inside the house and have been pleasantly surprised.

I don't do any processing of the video clips at all other than some in camera editing. I then record them to the hard drive of a DVD recorder and make DVDs from that. It lists chapters etc and seems totally satisfactory. Someone has suggested that I may be losing some quality but I sure can't see it.

These Xactis are just great cameras. I'm surprised more people don't use them. The day I was at the K'garten graduation I had many parents and grandparents ask what I was using. I could have sold a dozen of them.

Continue enjoying your C6, Vince.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 5:41 AM   #5

Hi Setter,

I know what you mean about the 'wow' factor...the number of people I've had asking me exactly what it is I'm using when I'm at a party is amazing. I was at a wedding recently, and I too had about 10 people asking me about the unit.

For me, a lot of the stuff I take is in bars, parties etc. sobetter low light performance isan issue for me.

I too don't do much in the way of post processing. I just convert the MP4's to avi's and create a DVD from that along with slideshows of the still photos I've taken. I've even started converting some of the files in Windows movie maker to lower quality wmv files and posting them on Youtube and then embedding them in my blog for friends to be able see around the world. Its incredible how easy this sort of thing is now....I remember having to make extra sets of prints from 35mm negatives and sticking them in the post! That all seems a long way off now!

Best wishes

Vince