Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 1, 2007, 2:59 AM   #1

Howdy all,

New here and have a question, while I realize it's kinda an apple to oranges comparison, if you were going to choose between the Xacti CG6 and the Aiptek GO-HD, which would you choose and why?

bjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:08 AM   #2

I assume you've been checking out all of the Aiptek GO-HD info and samples posted in the Hybrid forum (best to ask questions about it there as well).Typically the Aipteks are cheap but do providegood value. I've been turned off by them due to cheap optics (most often "focus free"/"fixed focus" and no optical zoom), cheap CMOS sensors and they didn'thandle movement or low light well. I'mvery surprised by the GO-HD, it records 1280x720 using the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video codec and ACC audio codec (bothpowered by Ambarella). It records at a fairly low bitrate (4Mbps) for HD video that does look very good andit boastsa 3x optical zoom.

The only downsides I can see withthe GO-HDcamera compared to the CG6 is itslow light performance and I find it doesn't handle movement that well either, the video tends to "swim" or jump when you move, shakeor pan, perhaps it's due to the CMOS sensor? (EDIT: it only records 25fpsvideo!) You can't take photos at all while taking video. But for the price, itseems pretty darn good and it is HD video whereas the CG6 is not. Just make sure you look at all of the samples posted in the Hybrid forum to see what it's like and ensure your PC can play them because it's a very demanding codec at that resolution.

EDIT: I just read the recent postings in that long GO-HD thread in the Hybrid forum and itappears you might want to seriously considerAiptek's quality control issues (you get what you pay for?). And it lacks other options like manual focus, etc., and as edited above records it's HD video only at 25 frames per second.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 3:20 AM   #3

Thanks for the response,

Yeah I've checked out the Aiptek posts, and while I think the images seem good, you're right the big thing seems to be quality control of the camera itself.

I haven't seen that problem with the Sanyo (unless I've missed the threads) but at the same time, haven't seen as many sampleclips from it either so am still not sure which way to go with the camera.

I wish a local retailer had them both on had so I could check them out in person......

Oh well, when I decide which to go with I'll post a review. In the mean time if anyone else would like to chime in on the pros and cons of each, feel free (and I'll also post in the hybrid forum)
bjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:31 AM   #4

I suspect the Aiptek does not focus. It probablyis a "pin-hole" type camera in the sense that the optics are missing for focusing on your subject. And to me the webcam type (no framebuffer) "swimming" motion capture makes it unacceptable to me unless you plan to only take fixed, tripodded footage. But that's just me, anything that breaks the fluidity of motion I find distracting.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 3:36 PM   #5
FLG

I have both on my desk and probably I will go with Xacti CG6.The zoom noise ,weak low light and shaky image make GO-HD going back.You really need iron hands to keep Aiptek steady or use a Steadycam.Another plus is Sanyo MPEG4 wich I can use on my Macbook and very easy to work with.(iMovie,FCE,iPhoto,Vlan)

FLG is offline   Reply With Quote