Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 3, 2007, 3:40 PM   #1

I love my CG65 and the H.254 video format. I can watch my clips on the camera, of course, and also on the TV. I load these into a Panasonic hard drive DVD writer and easily make DVDs without any conversions or other complications. I can do all the editing I need to do either in camera or on the DVD recorder.

My problem is with my laptop computer. I simply can't get these clips to play without a herky jerky motion. I have loaded the Sanyo software but it does nothing for me.

I have a new Dell laptop ordered with an Intel Core Duo T7500 2.2 GHZ processor and 2GB of Ram. Does anyone know whether or not this new laptop is likely to play the videos?

Anyone else having a problem showing these video clips on their computer?

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:37 PM   #2

Your new laptop should have ample processing power to play and edit your files smoothly. Also, if you don't like the software that came with your camcorder, you can simply download the H264 codec and use whatever software you want, including the Windows editor included with the operating system.

The coded can be downloaded at: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm
derekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:55 PM   #3

derekm wrote:
Quote:
Your new laptop should have ample processing power to play and edit your files smoothly. Also, if you don't like the software that came with your camcorder, you can simply download the H264 codec and use whatever software you want, including the Windows editor included with the operating system.

The coded can be downloaded at: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm
Derek,
Can you elaborate on that for me? I understand downloading but then what do I do?

Will Windows Movie Maker automatically pick up the H264 codec and use it somehow?. I know how to use a computer and a camera but after that I'm not too tech savvy. Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:54 AM   #4

What software are you using to view theCG65 files? Is it Quicktime? That may beyour problem, Quicktime for Windows is not efficient at all.

MP4 files are not natively supported by Microsoft and it's products. This is because Microsoft prefers to push it's own proprietary WMV format than support an ISOstandard format like MP4.

I posted the steps required to support MP4 files in Windows Vista in your thread about Ulead Movie Factory(<-click). Just go to the web sites I specified, click on the download options to download the required files, then execute (double-click on) the downloaded (.EXE) files, then follow the instructions, it's that simple. As for the Vista registry fix I attached,download andopen the ZIP file then double click on the .REG file and accept to patch the Windows registry.

However, Windows Movie Maker (WMM) will not open MP4 files. If you want to use WMM you will need to convert the MP4 files to AVI files using MP4Cam2AVI. Otherwise you can use a video editor that supports MP4 files.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 11:50 AM   #5

Caelum,

Yes, I'm using Quicktime. It worked fine with my C5 clips,.....but not these H.264.

I just printed out my previous post with your answers and also this thread. You make it very clear and I think I can probably get the job done as you suggest. I really don't need Movie Maker since I get by with in camera editing just fine. I do want to be able to smoothly play these clips, however. According to your previous post, I'll have Windows Media Player 11 and Vista Media Center, both of which will work after your patch.

If I follow your very clear directions, I should be in business shortly after the new Dell rolls in,....!

Thanks again, Caelum!
Old Aug 4, 2007, 7:05 PM   #6

If you only want to play the video you only need a new player on your laptop.

The newest versions of VLC player and Media Player Classic both suport H.264 codec. They have long been recommended when other users found the Quicktime **bogware ** too jerky to play the MP4 video of the older Xacti models.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:23 PM   #7

Thanks, Blindsight,.....which one do you use? I'd like to get a player that will use most of the 17" sceen on my new laptop.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:30 AM   #8

VLC is a good stand-alone player that does not require any other software(like codecs or splitters). So VLC is a good uncomplicated option for playback. Media Player Classic,one of my favorites, has support for MP4 but still does require you to install the required codecs to playback (or it can make use of Quicktime's MP4 engine).

The fun thing with installing ffdshow tryouts, haali media splitter and my Vista registry patch is that MP4 fileswill then be supported natively by Vistaand it'smedia players. Therefore Vista will display icons and proper info for your MP4s, it will play them backwith Windows Media Player,and if you have Windows Vista Premium or Ultimate, MP4s will be directly supported by Windows Media Center (forviewing on TV).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 1:05 PM   #9

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
VLC is a good stand-alone player that does not require any other software (like codecs or splitters). So VLC is a good uncomplicated option for playback. Media Player Classic,one of my favorites, has support for MP4 but still does require you to install the required codecs to playback (or it can make use of Quicktime's MP4 engine).
Caelum and Blindsight,

Man, the answers to all these problems we think we have are out there if you find the right guy that's willing to pass it on, and has the patience to maybe elaborate a couple of times.

I just downloaded and installed VLC. The entire task starting with Googling VLC to watching the first clip must have taken all of five minutes! That's the way I like my "Hi Tech" stuff, fast, simple and effective. This will be the first thing I install on my new laptop. Thanks to you both!

Jack