Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 9, 2007, 7:09 AM   #1

does someone know how to improve indoor videos and photos? my ca6 makes great videos and photo at outdoor, but when i need to shot something inside, the video gets very very noisy.

i found out that indoor photos could be improved turning the flash off . but you'll need a very firm hand.

haven't found yet any solution for video. did anyone resolve?
Sal_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:30 AM   #2

If you concern is noise in the images, I don't think you can do very much about it. Everyone has their own level of tolerancefor how "dim the light" is and how "noisy the images" is. I guess your indoor shooting environment is stretching the sensitivity performance of the camera, producing images that are too noisy for your liking. You may have to accept it.

You may be able to reduce noise in still pictures by changing some camera settings. You can try manually setting the ISO (light sensitivity) of the camera (please read the manual if you do not know how to do it) - setting the ISO to 100 or 200 will reduce noise (lower the better). Setting a low ISO will force the camera to use a large aperture and/or a slower shutter speed, especially the latter. Therefore, you will need a very steady hand or a tripod to avoid blurry pictures. However, if the available light is really too low, the camera's aperture and shutter speed may not be able to compensate completely (I think the shutter speed only goes as slow as 2 seconds but I am not sure), and the pictures will turn out too dark. You may try using a photo editor to brighten the pictures afterwards, but they will turn out with faded color.

You should also switch the "noise reduction" ON - this will reduce digital noise in long exposure (? > 1 second), but it does not kick in during normal exposure in bright light.

If you don't mind having a picture of lower resolution (I think 640 x 480 pixels, I am not sure), you may also use one of the scene modes called lamp mode. The camera uses "pixel binning" to reduce noise as well as the blurring artefact as a result of noise reduction process. In fact you can do the same by taking a noisy picture at full resolution and use photo editing software to resample to a lower resolution. This scene mode does NOT work for videos.

Therefore, it all comes back to the fact that the amount of available light being the most important factor toreduce noise in theimages.

I cannot think of anything that you can do for the videos. Manually setting the ISOwillNOT work for videos - setting low ISO such as 100 or 200 for indoor will give you very dark images. You can imagine videos are composed of a series of pictures shown quickly (the videos have "framerates" of 15 to 30 frames per second depending on the quality setting). Therefore, theoretically, the shutter speedfor taking each frame (picture) of the video cannot go below 1/15 to 1/30 second, and there is just not enough time to collect enough light for each frame of the video ina dark environment.

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 5:03 PM   #3

For{edit} indoor video I would lock the ISO to 200 and set the EV up some if the lighting is low. The CG65 likes to jump to ISO 400 often even in OK light and this makes lots of noise.

I have found that if the lighting is weak then ISO 200 and EV at max +2 or so it looks good and has low noise.

For stills the flash is really week so get within 5 feet or so and the photo will look fine.
ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 6:32 AM   #4

EV ? whats that?
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:01 AM   #5

EV = Exposure value = exposure correction.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:22 AM   #6

ok, thanks, but how can i change the EV on my CA6 ?