Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:58 PM   #1

Thanks to Caelum and Blindsight, I was able to download a video player called VLC and install it on my older laptop. My H.264 video clips played okay some of the time and some of the time they were jerky and jagged. The computer I was using had 1GB of Ram and a fast processor. It was top of the line two and a half years ago.

I just bought a new laptop with 2GB of ram and a dedicated video card, as suggested by a sales rep. I just downloaded VLC and played some clips in it. They are simply great. Not only are they smooth but the newer computer has improved the sound and picture.

The secret to showing these H.264 clips seems to be the dedicated video card. Color me a happy camper! I think it's worth a few extra bucks to upgrade to a dedicated video card.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2007, 6:50 AM   #2

Yes, with video playback the two most important components are the CPU and the GPU (graphics processing unit = graphics card), RAMis notmuch of a factorin playback, RAM speed, a little, but not quantity.Some of the newestgraphics cards actuallyfeature AVC/H.264 decoding acceleration, however VLCis not yet capable of taking advantage of this at this time. VLC just happens to be a very efficient software (CPU) decoderalthough it does still make use of a little GPU acceleration to smoothly render and scale the video.

Soin this caseI suspect the CPU is what's makingthe big difference for you. CPU performance doubles every 24 months, this makes your old CPU much slower than the newer one. You don't mention the CPUs, but I doubt your old CPU is anywhere near as fast as your new one. A deceptive performance index on the old Pentium 4's was it's clock speed. A 3Ghz Pentium 4 from a couple of years ago is actually much slower than a1.5Ghz Core 2 Duo CPU today. So while your old CPU might have been top of the line two and a half years ago, it really can't compete with today's CPUs. Note that other factors, such as increased RAM and bus speeds do play a role as well.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 7:55 AM   #3

Hi Caleum,

Whatever the reason, it sure is nice to be able to play the CG65 clips so smoothly. Once I get the hang of this new laptop I'll probably try some video editing. Jack
Old Aug 18, 2007, 12:11 PM   #4

One more issue is copying the clips to your hard drive first - they will play more smoothly than from the card.

This goes for files on CD too, especially for older computers.
istara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 12:56 PM   #5

istara wrote:
Quote:
One more issue is copying the clips to your hard drive first - they will play more smoothly than from the card.

This goes for files on CD too, especially for older computers.
Another helpful tip. Thanks, istara!