Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:32 PM   #1021

choavana wrote:
Quote:
For Mac users with the green screen issue.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23875/avc1decoder

the avc1Decoder 0.72 seems to help. download and drop in your /library/quicktime/ folder and see if the footage can now be played by quicktime. the blank green screen should go away but the smoothness of playback will depend on the speed of your machine.
choavana, smack! smack! Thank you very much!

With your information above, my iMac now shows through Quicktime 7.4.1 the wonderfull train in Canada.
But an information on the Quicktime's MovieInspector says this movie is in 1080p60FRAMES per sec. and not Fields, because all others 1080i movies shows FPS: 29,97 or 25, never 59.94 nor 50.

What do you think about that? FULL-HD?

Second, about that little demo video "This is why electronic image stabilization is not a good choice" and the last frase:

"I use face tracking and film breasts, it tracks it perfectly, every bounce and wiggle, none of that background jumping ."

Isn't that a solution?
GekoBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 1:06 AM   #1022

Quicktime can't handle interlaced AVC1 files in the right way. The AVC1 decoder player play each frame twice.
urmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 5:08 AM   #1023

klas wrote:
Quote:
Then I discovered free conversion tool (mp4CAM2avi) After quickly converting all mp4 files to avi I was able to get smoother playback without any quality loss and files rendered just fine.

So, my conclusion here is that .mp4 format is barely supported and you don't need the latest and the greatest computer to edit HD files, but you do need fast cpu for rendering projects. I rendered 25 minuite file that had about 50 short clips in [email protected] in about 2 hours.
I tried to use 720/60p clips to convert to avi (no recompression). Yeah it bringsalmost the samequality but still getting a bit choppy preview with my Amd x2 6000+, Vista 64, 4GB RAMs, ATi HD2600XT in Sony Vegas 8b. So as you can see i have two cores at 3GHZ. Okay, it's an amd, less powerfull than an intel,but i think it's non-sense. I tried to convertthe clipsto xvid (low to best quality)but the program doesn't want to. And in this case i don't have willingnes to convert the videos to another format and get only a few more fps in real-time preview. So now i'm using the vegas with Dynamic RAM preview mode (selecting the part and hitting Shift+B).

I'm going to upgrade my PC to Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, but i still don't know if i will get normal real-time preview with Vegas. Okay, HD1000 not the main cause of the upgrading, but i anybody have any expereience with the Q6600 CPU vs HD1000 vs Vegas or CS3 (Vegas would be the bets for me)please inform me.

Also,i found a hdv rendering test on sony's vegas forum and i tried it. My AMD made the rendering procedurein ~5 mins (it's normal for my machine)but, as i get, withaQ6600 i takes around 2 mins. It's very nice,but i wonder if i get faster previewing.

At videohelp's sitei got information that Sony Vegas Pro, Premiere CS3s are for 'PROsumers'. And because of HD1000 is a CONsumer i should use consumer editors, so i shouldn't be suprised that PowerDirector 6 can handle the Sany HD1000's mp4 with real-time preview. But the other wat that Vegas Movie Studio Platinum and Adobe Premiere Elements are also for consumers and in this case they should work flawlessly with mp4s but they won't. So i don't understand why Sony, Adobe and others can not put the same codec (okay, if it's an algorythm, it's another case, then i understand)to their programs which PowerDirector uses without any problem.

Here is the topic what i'm talking about: http://forum.videohelp.com/topic345804.html#1811219
re-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:57 AM   #1024

klaus wrote:
Quote:
I have Acer 5920G (1.5Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 5400 rpm HD) and i am able to playback HD1000 files fine. Also, I am able to edit them in Sony Vegas Pro 8b and PowerDirector 6, but with Sony Vegas I was getting choppy playback in preview window, in PowerDirector 6 it worked fine, so I thought I needed more powerful PC.

I just bought Dell XPS 1530 with 2.2 C2D, 3GB Ram, 7200 rpm HD and that did not resolve the issue with choppy preview in Sony Vegas Pro 8b. On top of that rendering would always fail with .mp4 files. Then I discovered free conversion tool (mp4CAM2avi) After quickly converting all mp4 files to avi I was able to get smoother playback without any quality loss and files rendered just fine.

So, my conclusion here is that .mp4 format is barely supported and you don't need the latest and the greatest computer to edit HD files, but you do need fast cpu for rendering projects. I rendered 25 minuite file that had about 50 short clips in [email protected] in about 2 hours.

I am not sure what you want desktop or laptop, but I personally prefer laptop for editing projects:

My XPS 1530 from outlet was $1269 (without any coupons) that included, WXGA+ screen, [email protected], 3GB Ram, 200GB 7200 rpm HDm 8600GT 256MB.

Get the best CPU you can afford, because it's important for rendering videos and upgrading it yourself later on will void the warranty. 4GB of laptop memory from newegg is about $80, but I found that even 2GB is enough for my projects.

klas, much THANKS for your valuable feedback - very helpful!!

Cheers,
Derek
derektom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 3:31 PM   #1025

Hi, I'm new here. Wife lost our Sony mini-dv at my daughters cheerleading comp last weekend, so we are unfortunately in the market for new camcorder.

I'm looking to the Xacti HD1000, as a replacement. I think for my wife's needs it might be a great replacement. I do the editing on a Power Mac G5 tower and I've read that the version of the avchd codec that the HD1000 uses is not compatible with final cut or even imovie 08' nor final cut express. Can anyone confirm if this camcorder will or will not work with apples editing programs?

My second question is what does the forum think of this camera for shooting cheer competitions where we sit in the front row in a dark auditorium and shoot the competition that is on a well-lit stage?

Any feedback or advice on this camera as it relates to those two questions would be greatly appreciated. If this has been address before i apologize in advance, could you direct me to that thread?

thanks,

herov.
herov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 4:22 PM   #1026

So, after finally figuring out that mp4 format needs to be converted to .avi for better support, I performed comparison test:

1.5Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160 5400 rpm HD , 256MB 8600GT, Vista Ultimatew/ out SP1(Acer 5920G)

vs

2.2Ghz C2D 3GB Ram, 200 7200 rpm HD, 256MB 8600GT, VistaHome Premium with SP1(XPS 1530)

I rendered 2 mins of 720p footage

difference wasn't that great considering that brand new XPS in that config costs almost $2k

18 mins for XPS vs 18.50 mins for 5920G. I rendered into wma 720p format.

Conclusion: not worth the $$
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 9:33 PM   #1027

Dear Herov,

I bought a Camera Sanyo HD1000 is a very nice and good Camera BUT i have to buy another one because NO good and complet editing program support Mpeg4,I know some change it to AVI but that's not we want ,when i buy Mpeg4 then i like editing in Mpeg4:evil:

I work with Pinnacle Studio11 and like to continous with that program because i don't like to change and to learn again.:|

I hope very HARD that Pinnacle Studio will HELP us VERY VERY soon I bought all the versions and that already much money

Albert from Belgium
albertvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 2:00 PM   #1028

GekoBR wrote:
Quote:
<snip>
"I use face tracking and film breasts, it tracks it perfectly, every bounce and wiggle, none of that background jumping ."
What does that mean?[url=javascript:emoticon(':cart:',
Big Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 5:55 PM   #1029

Big Pete wrote: [quote]GekoBR wrote:
Quote:
<snip>
What does that mean?[url=javascript:emoticon(':cart:',
[/quote]The Manual says,

FACE CHASER
As you capture a still image, the face chaser detects the subject's face, and
adjusts the brightness and focus in a way that produces a clear and bright
photo of the subject's face.
The face chaser can detect up to 12 different faces.
~
~
HINT
When the face chaser is set to ON...
-Each face in the Shooting Screen is marked with a green frame.
-Faces that are in focus are marked with a double green frame.
-When capturing a still image, if you press the [ ] button halfway, the
frames marking the faces that are in focus change to orange.
CAUTION
-The digital zoom is disabled.
-The face chaser function does not work when zooming in or out.

GekoBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 1:48 AM   #1030

herov wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking to the Xacti HD1000, as a replacement.* I think for my wife's needs it might be a great replacement.* I do the editing on a Power Mac G5 tower and I've read that the version of the avchd codec that the HD1000 uses is not compatible with final cut or even imovie 08' nor final cut express.* Can anyone confirm if this camcorder will or will not work with apples editing programs?

My second question is what does the forum think of this camera for shooting cheer competitions where we sit in the front row in a dark auditorium and shoot the competition that is on a well-lit stage?
I use the HD1000 on a mac. Shoot 720p and you'll have no problems. In fact the 720p60 will be great for cheerleading/action. There are still some issues with shooting the full 1080 that the camera is capable of, however you'll find the picture is more than adequate.

As far as the competition itself, last night I shot a play with the HD1000. Theatrical lighting is not ideal for video but I was amazed at the brightness and picture quality I achieved. Sanyo is not great in low light situations, but this camera did a nice job. A cheerleading competition will have even more light because it's not trying to be moody.
I shot on a tripod at 720p 30, aperture on manual and wide open, shutter speed was at 1/60 (though with the motion in your case you'd want 1/120). I set the focus to a point midway in the stage manually so that the focus would not hunt during th performance. The only issue I had after reviewing the footage was that the sound was awful. I had forgotten the adapter to my external mic! Any old cheap shotgun or lavalier mic that you can get at Best Buy for 30$ will be better than some of the handling noise I got with the mic being on the outside of the LCD screen. I can post a clip on vimeo if anyone wants to see it.

2 samples are posted just so you can see the quality this camera delivers:
http://www.vimeo.com/savanapridiboy

The clips are from the play Harrison,TX by Horton Foote as performed by the 2nd Story Theater in Los Angeles.
choavana is offline   Reply With Quote