Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 23, 2008, 8:10 AM   #1061

White Cat wrote:
Quote:
The differentbetween 1080i and 720p is pretty major on my 42" plasma, not like others said they're more or less the same
Yes, they are quite different. I find that the picture is definitely sharper and clearer in 1080i but the motion is far superior in 720 60p. Since I prefer higher resolution I pretty much record everything in 1080i but when I know I'll be recording fast motion I switch to 720 60p. Do you find the same? Don't get me wrong, 720 still looks fantastic, it's just there's more detail in the 1080i clips when I've done a side by side comparison. Oh, and 1080i clips will look extremely interlaced (ie. worse)on typical computers. The reason is most monitors are less than 1920x1080, like mine is 1280x1024, so as a result the computer doward interpolated the video to fit your screen. As a result it emphasizes the interlacing. On an LCD 1080 HDTV you will barely ever notice the interlacing.

White Cat wrote:
Quote:
For low light you really have to follow others advise on using the manual setting, it make a world different.
Yep, it sure does. When I first got my cam I didn't like how dark indoor stuff was but rather than complain about it online like so many reviewers in Amazon.com I decided to look more into the manual. I found the answer in exposure value and wow is it a huge difference. Now, no low costconsumer camcorder is going to be "excellent" in low light but it works quite well once adjusted. It so bothers me to see people trashing a product simply cause they didn't read. It's quite ignorant.

I can't help you with the HDMI thing. I looked through the manual but there wasn't anything helpful in there. Only thing I can ask is do you have the camera turned on *before* switching to the correct HDMI input?

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your camera. Let me know if your thoughts on the 1080i vs. 720p are the same.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 1:31 PM   #1062

lite wrote:
Quote:
Been considering the black/silver issue too. Black looks "pro" but if you leave it in the sun, might get really hot. But we don't do that, do we?
You could cover it with something for shade, of course, couldn't you?
Cassette camcorders had been black for a long time until silver became the fashion, and with the tape, heating up might have been a real problem - another problem that the memory card eliminates (I think), besides the mechanical wear.
I have also been wondering about wether to choose black or silver. When wearing dark garments, I might be able to shoot inconspicuously from the hip....
Big Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 2:44 PM   #1063

Big Pete wrote:
Quote:
I have also been wondering about wether to choose black or silver. When wearing dark garments, I might be able to shoot inconspicuously from the hip....
Well, I ordered a HD1000 today from eBay UK, and did not specify a color - let the odds decide which color I get!

Also, I ordered from other sources a 0.45x wide-angle lens (black), a UV-filter (silver) and a stabilizer (Hague, black with silver details) that somebody suggested in another thread, I think, plus a monopod (black). Oh it's getting expensive to go HiDef :-D

Now until they all arrive, I'll have to continue using my red C6 that is even now in my pocket. I will propably miss it's compact size and light weight, sigh...

I'll report how the cheap WA lens performs, along with other info when the time comes.
lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 3:07 PM   #1064

Hello

I bought a Raynox 5050 wide angle on Ebay, plus an adapter ring to fit the HD1000

The wide angle performs well in video mode, quite bad in the stills mode.

Bye
rosobrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:41 PM   #1065

Rev2010 wrote:
Quote:
White Cat wrote:
Quote:
For low light you really have to follow others advise on using the manual setting, it make a world different.
Yep, it sure does. When I first got my cam I didn't like how dark indoor stuff was but rather than complain about it online like so many reviewers in Amazon.com I decided to look more into the manual. I found the answer in exposure value and wow is it a huge difference. Now, no low costconsumer camcorder is going to be "excellent" in low light but it works quite well once adjusted. It so bothers me to see people trashing a product simply cause they didn't read. It's quite ignorant.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your camera. Let me know if your thoughts on the 1080i vs. 720p are the same.

Rev.
I don't know about 1080 vs 720 in fast motion yet because I find that the cam have problem stay focus on the moving object and I am still learning to use the AF lock.

White Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:43 PM   #1066

Oh, anyone have exp with those ebay lens kit? Those for $30US w/ wide angle, tele, UV...etc. The price is too good to be true.
White Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 6:14 AM   #1067

rosobrer wrote:
Quote:
Hello

I bought a Raynox 5050 wide angle on Ebay, plus an adapter ring to fit the HD1000
The wide angle performs well in video mode, quite bad in the stills mode.
I don't intend to get any adapter, partly to keep the expenses down, but mainly because when I want hi-def, it's kind of a contradiction to add extra lenses which can only be for worse when it comes to image quality (in other words, I think they would add some blur).
If the video angle is not sufficient, I would pan slowly, and if the angle is isufficient for stills, one can easily take two (or in rare cases more) images and then failry easily "stitch " them together. This is also a solution to the "problem" of the stills being only 4 megapixel ones.
Big Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 5:22 PM   #1068

Anyone know where to get this in UK at a decent price?
rdesouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:11 PM   #1069

Try eBay.co.uk, there is a seller hlbestdigitalbuy that sends the cameras from London (incl. taxes) as opposed to Hong Kong (taxes unpaid).

The price is 399 GBP plus delivery, very competitive price I think. I ordered one from them on Sunday (Monday was holiday too) and today, Thursday, I got info that it has been shipped. Not bad.

Oh the price includes 4 GB SDHC and HDMI cable. My purchase ended up costing about 550 €, ca. 100 euros less than from cheapest German webshops (delivered) or 300 less than here in Finland (pick-up from local store).
lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:22 PM   #1070

Thanks, can you let me know what you thik of the camera and the service from the seller?
rdesouza is offline   Reply With Quote