Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 4, 2008, 7:41 PM   #1081

Hi all!

I'm considering HD700 and HD1000
How much better is HD1000 than HD700 in indoor low light environments at night?

Is it worth 50% more money?
Is it good enough to replace my old monster-size DV-cam?

Regards,
- kjbu, Norway

:?

kjbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 6:07 AM   #1082

macnplay wrote:
Quote:
anyone check out this forum for hd1000 and hd700 http://hd1000.freeforums.org
A nice index, now all that is needed to be done by you, "macnplay" is to copy the best posts from the 53 pages of this here forum and paste them into the relevant sections of http://hd1000.freeforums.org
Having posts sorted by topics would undoubtedly be a good thing, but right now, there is a wealth of information here and none yet on the freeforum...
Big Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 2:48 PM   #1083

Big Pete, for someone to "steal" posts from here to put in their own forum I think that would violate the forums rules. It would also be incredibly lame. Don't ya think?

Rev.

Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 1:42 PM   #1084

derektom wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Any recommendations for PC hardware that'll allow smooth and quick playback/editing/encoding of HD1000 1920x1080 HD video?...

Intel Core 2 Duo, Core¬*2 Quad, or Core 2 Extreme processor ... Or is a Core 2 Duo adequate?

Any recommendations for graphics cards? Nvidia or ATI and which models? How much video memory? 128MB enough?

And does the amount of system memory make a big difference? The cost jump from 2GB to 4GB is huge so is it worth it?

Just seeking some basic guidance in the PC hardware area. I'd consider using a Mac but the software/hardware setup would be over my budget.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Cheers,
Derek
Having recently bought a HD1000, but only spotted the forum afterwards, I'm not sure if this is too late for you, or even any help, but just in case.....

I have a 2 month old "macbook" using a 2.0Ghz Core Duo, & it seems to display the 1920 * 1080 ok, within the limitations of the notebook display, ie. the picture is chopped to the macbook's resolution, or I connect an external display (maximum size I possess is 1680 * 1050 so still not possible to display pixel for pixel), & interlace is apparent. I'm hopeful to get a full 1920 *1080 display & will connect that to my mac via a DVI to HDMI adapter. I'll report back on how that looks unless someone else does so first. I also have only 1Gb of ram, but I'll upgrade this later this week so I can run a ton of applications ;-)

As the macbook is a notebook computer, I only have the built in graphics (intel) & the only editing I've done so far is simple stuff in Quicktime, & that's been fine. If I get more involved with this, I'll probably buy Final Cut Express, which hopefully would do all I need personally, & isn't too expensive.

A friend having seen the camera in action has also just bought one. He has a mac pro, so quite a bit more powerful than mine! He also has no 1920 *1080 display but anticipates no problems editing or displaying.
Apart from normal consumer video, he wants to make a promotion video for a small band he produces & was quite impressed by this, shot on HD1000:

http://homepage.mac.com/jakojako/NOU...heater160.html

I know nobody who has pc editing tools, so have no experience of those, but I'd have thought a win computer with same core duo would perform similarly to mine. I do however have Apple's "boot camp" pc partition & could try an evaluation package, but I imagine I'll do any necessary work using mac packages.

If anyone would like me to try a particular setting with this configuration, I'll see what I can do.

john
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:04 AM   #1085

tvjohn wrote:
Quote:
Apart from normal consumer video, he wants to make a promotion video for a small band he produces & was quite impressed by this, shot on HD1000:

john
Are you trying to say that the Noush video was shot on a sanyo HD1000? I seriously doubt that it is. Maybe a Sony HD1000, but the sanyo doesn't have the tonal range to do images like that, and there is no amount of post processing that will add it back. That stuff was shot on a 3 chip camera, and if not then I'd like to see a raw shot to prove it.

Not to knock the video. It's great work and a typical example of the award winning director Andrea Giacomini. And the little Sanyo takes great images for it's size, but if I wan to shoot things that look like that then I use my Panasonic HVX200. I know enough about both cameras to get a really good image, and I think it's misleading to people reading this forum to watch that video and expect that result is possible.
choavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 7:55 AM   #1086

choavana wrote:
Quote:
I think it's misleading to people reading this forum to watch that video and expect that result is possible.
Wow dude...misleading?? Andrea Giacomini said himself it was done on the Sanyo HD1000:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=114592

Not cool toimplysomeoneis misleadingwhen you can simply Google to find your answer.

Rev.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:57 AM   #1087

choavana wrote:
Quote:
tvjohn wrote:
Quote:

john
Are you trying to say that the Noush video was shot on a sanyo HD1000? I seriously doubt that it is. Maybe a Sony HD1000, but the sanyo doesn't have the tonal range to do images like that, and there is no amount of post processing that will add it back. That stuff was shot on a 3 chip camera, and if not then I'd like to see a raw shot to prove it.

Not to knock the video. It's great work and a typical example of the award winning director Andrea Giacomini. And the little Sanyo takes great images for it's size, but if I wan to shoot things that look like that then I use my Panasonic HVX200. I know enough about both cameras to get a really good image, and I think it's misleading to people reading this forum to watch that video and expect that result is possible.
As Rev2010 stated in the above post, Andrea did indeed shot that video with a Sanyo HD1000, using an M2 Redrock 35mm DOF adapter and Nikon SLR lensesto achieve the shallow depth of field. He/She did all the editing and post effects using Apple FCPwith Magic Bullet Editor for the color correction.

TheHD1000 is just a tool in the hands of an artist...although apparently more useful in some hands than in others

- Ugly.

uglybassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:47 AM   #1088

uglybassplayer wrote:
Quote:

As Rev2010 stated in the above post, Andrea did indeed shot that video with a Sanyo HD1000, using an M2 Redrock 35mm DOF adapter and Nikon SLR lenses¬*to achieve the shallow depth of field.¬* She did all the editing and post effects using Apple FCP¬*with Magic Bullet Editor for the color correction.

The¬*HD1000 is just a tool in the hands of an artist...¬*although apparently more useful in some hands than in others

- Ugly.

¬*
Alright, I don't want to get into a flame war but you guys should do your homework. How about the fact that Andrea is not a woman as you keep suggesting. Go to www.andreagiacomini.com and read "about".

Second, I guess you haven't used a Redrock micro or seen it used. It's HUGE! I don't know if it's technically impossible to use the camera with an M2 (you'd have to contact Redrock) but first off you'd have to get 2 step up rings just to get to the 72mm requirement. 2nd, why would anyone pay $2000 dollars to mount an M2 on a $700 camera? People that use an M2 wouldn't want to be limited by the highly compressed codec and color space of the HD1000. 3rd, it would be impossible to balance this camera on a tripod because it would be so front heavy. You could rig something so it sits on a flat surface, or sandbag the heck out of it, but what would be the point? People buy the Sanyo HD1000 for it's portability. Does anyone remember the Fisher-Price PXL2000? That was a low end camera that artists loved because of the unique image. The HD1000 does not produce an image that is very different from any other camera in any sort of artistic way. The idea of putting an M2 on a Sanyyo HD1000 makes as much sense as mounting it on a Panther dolly and lighting with 20k HMI's.

I would love to believe it was true, really. I am after all a proud Sanyo HD1000 owner, but I think there's been some mistake or you guys are getting conned. If anyone can find a picture of his rig then please post.
choavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:03 AM   #1089

choavana wrote:
Quote:
tvjohn wrote:
Quote:

john
Are you trying to say that the Noush video was shot on a sanyo HD1000? I seriously doubt that it is. M
Hello there.

I'm a bit taken aback by your comment, as it's unusual to find someone expert in their field misrepresenting their work!
However, I, like any webpage visitor, can only go by what I read!

As Rev2010 points out, there is a post from Andrea on DVInfo, & that site insists on "real names". I've tried to register with the site unsuccessfully (ie. no email to "invite" me), as someone else with the same name as me is already registered, so I tried with my middle name, but no joy, & as I can't post to ask, I don't know how to join it!

My band producing friend has access to some decent SLR lenses, & I'm interested to see how the adapter works. I'm working my way backwards through the HD1000 pages here. I didn't find out much from Redrock's site, but thanks to uglybassplayer's post, I now have a clearer idea :-) So, maybe Ugly knows of a simpler piece of kit that Redrock makes which may have been used by Andrea?

tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:03 AM   #1090

choavana wrote:
Quote:
Alright, I don't want to get into a flame war but you guys should do your homework.
If you don't want to start a flame war you shouldn't be condescendingby tellingpeople do their homework and suggesting we're being conned.Also, it's no oddity for someone to confuse the name Andrea with being female. So sorry that we're not familiar with every single Tom, Dick, and Harry that does film work.

Now, that having been said I'll tell you something... you might indeed be right... maybe a setup like described would be impractical but can I tell you how many times I've heard people say something is impossible only to find out it was indeed done? So because you can'tfathom it doesn't necessarily mean it *wasn't* done.

Just as you can't see someone throwing a $680 camera on a $3000+ setup I can't see why someone would bother trying to impersonate Andrea to go online and post that it was donewith theSanyoHD1000. As you already mentioned the HD1000 is designed for portability and that's what most of us buy it for. That's what I use it for - HD videos of my vacations. If I were to film a serious project I would use a different cam. But, I'm pretty certain I could stillpull off anice music video with somelow costadditional accessories, my video editing software, and a few plugins which seems like all tvjohn's friend would likely need.

Rev.