Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 13, 2007, 11:31 AM   #101

istara wrote:
Quote:
The music video looks great - the detail in the girl's skin is excellent - but I couldn't get the raw train clip to play at all.

QT7.2 just has it as green, and VLC plays it but it's all melted and distorted looking. I hope this doesn't mean that the HD1000's codec is incompatible with Mac (that would be very strange).

Are any other Mac users able to play that clip, or are there any other demo raw clips out there?
I couldn't get it to play on my imac at work.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 11:49 PM   #102

Anjoy, Caelum made a good point to me that we are getting off topic. So, I've taken the liberty of starting a new thread about stand alone media storage that works best with the Xacti line of cameras. I've called it Stand alone media storage for Xacti cameras. Way original, eh? See you there...
IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 6:03 AM   #103

Brillant idea ! Thank you to all ... and see you there !
:arrow:---> http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=27
anjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:25 PM   #104

I'm intrigued with the hard drive stoarge/playback solution. No other camera I'm aware of has this feature. This is an end run around burning and storing DVDs. Which is a real hassle. Playback of camcorder video is a real pain with it's gaggle of wires. I'm all for simplicity.

Can the Sanyo Hd1000 hard drive solution playback video from other cameras if saved to the drive? Doubtful, but I hope.

Sanyo should be pushing this hard drive playback as a complete camera solution. Throw in a drive as part of the package.

Also, does camera footage decompress when saved to this hard drive? Or remain a small file.
Kungfuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 8:11 AM   #105

Hi Kungfuguy, I was looking at the Japanese HD1000 manuals: the HD1000 will simply store it's JPG, MP4 & M4A files on the external USB storage device without any conversion, in a library of folders ordered by date first, then"ROLLs". If the past Xactis are any indication, I also highly doubt that this will allow to play videos other than its own.Also, given that Sanyo is trying to be competitive with the HD1000's price, and that Sanyo hasn't included SD cards with their recent cameras, and the competitive nature of the USB storage industry, don't count on an includedUSB HD. I think the main intention is that most people will initially have no other way of presenting their HD content (DVDs don't do HD), so the Xacti Library allows the HD1000 to not only be the camera but also the it's HD library playback device.

By the way, a new HD1000 sample was put up on digiblo yesterday. It's a 720p sample of a fish in water. Hopefully impress watch will put up samples of all modes, including the TV-HR, which is double the bit-rate (6Mbps) VGA resolution... hey, I'm just curious. :G

The HD1000's menus have beenre-arranged, butgenerally the menus will be familiar to Xacti users, one difference to note is a little mode switch on the LCD called "Normal" & "Simple", it determines if the camera willinclude moretechnical information or not on the display/menus. Oh, and here isa diagram of the HD1000's remote for the curious:

[align=center][/align]
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 5:16 AM   #106

I just downloaded that 270MB sample clip from IFA, pretty good. You can still see the slight autofocus problem when the guy uses the zoom very like the CG65. It focuses and then refocuses a few times. I am dying to see a low light sample, I hope it is as good as the CG65 and it appears to have a high sensitivity mode like the CG65 lamp mode which is great even if it is at 15fps, its worth it. I have used the lamp mode in very dark situtaions and its fantastic, a bit noisy and not as smooth but far better than just dark video. The only other thing I am a bit concerned about is the actual size, it looks only slightly bigger than the CG65 but that lens is enormous!!! I love being able to put the CG65 in my pocket, its a real winner that way!!!! Its gonna be a tough decision for me, I'm attracted to the quality of the HD1000 in a big way but the size of the CG65 is important and I always burn my videos to DVD anyway which compromises the HD quality when encoded. Other option is to play off the USB HDD but then you need the docking station. I know I may be picking minor flaws but I feel the big attraction of the xacti range is simplicity and size. The CG65 is great as you dont need a docking station for anything, playback to tv or even connection to the pc. These are minor flaws for me but they might just influence my decison not to buy. Maybe the HD2000 will have these features????? The guy also says that the european RRP is just 900euro.... WOAH!!!! and thats without an SD card. Maybe my decision has been made.............
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 4:45 PM   #107

TheTurk wrote:
Quote:
The guy also says that the european RRP is just 900euro.... WOAH!!!! and thats without an SD card. Maybe my decision has been made.............
That works out approx £600 which is way too much, if it was nearer £400-450 mark then I would consider it.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 6:17 PM   #108

Well it's $799 in the U.S. (Amazon), whichis around(actually less than) £400. I realize there is this "Europeans pay more... just because" rule, but it should be more affordable once it hits the streets.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:40 AM   #109

I wonder what thread the lens has for the wide angle and telephoto lenses. I have a wide angle lens but I am wondering if it would work with the HD1000?
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 4:09 PM   #110

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Hi Kungfuguy, I was looking at the Japanese HD1000 manuals...

Could someone point me to the Japanese manuals? Did someone already post a link? If so, I didn't see it, so please help a guy out. I'd like to see if there is any reference to audio controls in the menu. Specifically if meters are shown and/or whether levels can be set -- when using an external mic or the internal one. Thanks!
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote