Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 10, 2008, 4:21 AM   #1101

Hi Big Pete,

you can also find it on the supplied disk between the other manuals.

Cheers.
Phynalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 4:57 PM   #1102

Rev2010 wrote:
Quote:
Hehe, dude a link to it is on the very first post of this thread! But here's a direct link:
http://www.sanyo.de/produkte_daten/d...brary_EN_E.pdf
And congrats on your new HD1000! May you have a wonderful and rewarding time using it.
Danke and thanks!
Big Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:50 PM   #1103

So do we have HD1000 killer... or not?

Smaller, OIS, bigger batteryetc...

Two things that I am concerned, image quality to be at least as good as HD1000 and less focus hunting.

engadget DOT com/2008/04/11/video-sonys-worlds-smallest-tg1-tg3e-1080i-camcorder-unboxe/

camcorderinfo DOT com/content/Sonys-New-HDR-TG1-Pocket-Sized-AVCHD-Camcorder-34829.htm
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:59 PM   #1104

klas wrote:
Quote:
So do we have HD1000 killer... or not?

Smaller, OIS, bigger battery¬*etc...

Two things that I am concerned, image quality to be at least as good as HD1000 and less focus hunting.

engadget DOT com/2008/04/11/video-sonys-worlds-smallest-tg1-tg3e-1080i-camcorder-unboxe/

camcorderinfo DOT com/content/Sonys-New-HDR-TG1-Pocket-Sized-AVCHD-Camcorder-34829.htm
Image quality could be a little better than the HD1000, but with no mic in, no headphone jack, and (looks like) inability to add standard threaded filters and adapters I'll choose the Sanyo HD1000 again and again.

Now if the Red Scarlet turns out to be pocket-sized and less than $2000 then my Sanyo is going to get really lonely.
choavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 1:35 PM   #1105

I think Sanyo is great as stationary cam, but not as a "take me along" type of cam, Sony might deliver just that being smaller and with OIS.

I'll wait for official reviews before I jump it, because $1k is a high price to pay...
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 1:36 PM   #1106

choavana wrote:
Quote:
Image quality could be a little better than the HD1000, but with no mic in, no headphone jack, and (looks like) inability to add standard threaded filters and adapters I'll choose the Sanyo HD1000 again and again.
With a 1/5" CMOS which is exactly half the size of the HD1000 I doubt it would give a better image. Even with a 16mbps bitrate I don't think the combination of the small sensor and AVCHD, rather than Sanyo's custom AVC/H.264 codec, would lend any better quality. Then it will likely suffer more in low light. I've also read, but can't confirm, that it won't do 720/60p and you can't set the shutter speed manually. It's also $900 and uses the godforsaken Sony memory stick format. Certainly in no way an HD1000 "killer" if you ask me. It isreally nice though that it has built in 5.1 sound andOIS.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 1:39 PM   #1107

klas wrote:
Quote:
I think Sanyo is great as stationary cam, but not as a "take me along" type of cam, Sony might deliver just that being smaller and with OIS.
Hmm, well I have the image stabilization turned off in my cam and I don't seem to have any problem with shakiness unless I'm zoomed in passed 5x or so. Maybe I just have steady hands or hold it well but I have 45 minutes of vacation footage, some of which was even filmed in a moving car, and there's no large degree of shakiness.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 10:17 AM   #1108

Hi there. Last week I have invested $95 into a 320GB Western Digital external storage for my HD1000. What a relief! No more stressing over 1080 or 720P eiditing, burning, formats etc. Just press "transfer" and all files show up in Library to be played the next minute. Highly recommended device to simplify your life with HD1000
vikajakub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 11:42 PM   #1109

well i've enjoyed the camera for about 2 weeks -- a few thoughts:

the form factor feels nice in the hand -- just enough heft

i've played with a cheap ebay wide angle lens and it helps the "perma-zoom" problem

I'm still trying to see how this camera will let me carry one camera and forget the sony digi-cam point and shoot at home -- what settings do you use for good stills?

i think the picture looks great on my HDTV, sound is excellent, wind reduction is great

low light situations sometimes give the Autofocus a hard time, but i've enabled shortcuts (AF lock) and that has helped a ton

i haven't edited any video besides joining clips inside the camera, i'm waiting until i get my iMac

great camera, a huge step up from my old sony miniDV

sometimes i worry about storage down the road for my home movies -- you guys thought about that?

yotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:00 PM   #1110

I had glued a wire loop to the lens cap at home and had intended to connect that loop to the pin that holds the strap for the hand. I thought I'd do that on Mallorca at leisure and also put some velcro on right-hand the side of the camera body to stick the lens cap on when shooting, and then I thought I'd take a picture of my clever setup and post it here.
Hovever, the lens cap disappeared already from sight on the plane to Mallorca! I searched thorougly but in vain for it on the floor and the seats...
I have come up with another splendid idea (at least I think now that it'll work) for shooting without the LCD display folded out. I'll show you when I've got it ready.

I was awed by the Xacti's functions and handling and firmware design while I was away on vacation, and here at home, I am quite content after having seen the vacation vids and stills in 720p-resolution (as opposed to SR with the S-video cable on my trip).

BTW, regarding firmware update according to http://www.sanyo.de/products/digital...d1000.asp?lg=E
I wonder - how can I find out what version of the firmware I have in my HD1000, and how do I know that the update is worth the hassle (i.e. the improvements are significant)?
Big Pete is offline   Reply With Quote