Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 15, 2008, 12:01 AM   #1131

Big Pete wrote:
Pete, those look like the same file to me.. did you mean to post two of the same link?
Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 1:46 PM   #1132

Sorry, here's a link to the post on paraglidingforum, where you can click on the two still images, taken with the Sony wide converter and the HD1000 standard lens : http://www.paraglidingforum.com/view...=110989#110989
A few posts down, there's a frame of a vid where the semi-fisheye lens was used.

May be I'll try a wide converter that was intended for the Canon HV10, now that I have the step-down ring anyway, and see how good or bad stills turn out to be with that one...

A few days ago, I treated myself to my first viewing of HD1000 clips with my 720p projector, which I purchased second hand one year ago for only 400 EUR. It made me euphoric - the experience was much more pleasant than with my wife's 32" flat TV [img]file:///c:/windows/TEMP/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img]
Big Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 1:52 PM   #1133

I wonder wether it is really possible to chose a certain shutter setting for video, and if it is, I wonder how to go about doing it.
I think the scene presets might only apply to still images. With the sports setting, I could not notice any of the desired effects - and what's more, with "landscape" chosen, the autofocus worked nevertheless and focused intermittently on some vegetation in the foreground, while I was panning around a significant part of the horizon with my HD1000...
Old May 15, 2008, 2:24 PM   #1134

I have covered the display and the microphone holes with a kind of tube of a kind of felt, and the objective of muffling wind noise while flying was splendidly achieved!
Sample vids for download available in a day or two (if I can get my DSL modem to work properly)
ULR to larger-size image is http://www.paraglidingforum.com/download.php?id=12534

Old May 15, 2008, 3:44 PM   #1135

Big Pete wrote:
Quote:
I wonder wether it is really possible to chose a certain shutter setting for video
On page 116 and 117 of the manual it shows how to set the shutter speed manually. Does this not work for video as well? Oh, and the scene selections also apply to video.

Rev.

Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 4:21 PM   #1136

On M-JPEG clips taken with my Canon S80, I can see the video shutter time when I check the information IIRC. I would like to know how/where I can check what shutter speed the Xacti used for a certain video clip...
Old May 15, 2008, 4:27 PM   #1137

Rev2010 wrote:
Quote:
Oh, and the scene selections also apply to video.
That's what I had assumed, but in that case, setting the Xacti on "Landscape" should prevent focusing on objects in the very foreground. This would IMO be the main reason for choosing the landscape scene instead of auto - in fact, I cannot think of any other reason.
Old May 15, 2008, 4:34 PM   #1138

I agree, and I can't explain why it would still focus on nearby objects. But I know the scene settings do affect video for sure as you can see it when selecting thesetting for snow or cloudy for example.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 3:41 AM   #1139

Hey Big Pete, where did you get that harness for the HD1000, it looks great, does it work well?
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 12:09 PM   #1140

Hey, you Irish Turk and other interested parties,

I like to have my hands free to operate both control toggles and lines when I fly, but I also like so kind of record the view when I fly. I also like to be able to take both toggles/loops in one hand and take a grip on the digicam and point and shoot in another direction than straight ahead.
So I made me a camera holder to basically hold my digicam as a bra/braziere/BĂŒstenhalter/bysthĂ„llare holds the mammary glands, only slightly more loosely(i.e. with elastic straps that give enough), so I'd be able to lift the digicam and the camera holder to about chin height.

I had build an aluminium prototype for my Olympus C3000 many moons ago, and after checking that the angle was right (I'd want the lens to point slightly below the horizon and not above) I made another one using a piece of polycarbonate sheet that I bent (after heating first) and drilled.
A few years later, I drilled another hole for the UNC bolt to hold the Sony V1, or was it after the V1 the Canon S80.

To sum it up, it is fairly easy to build one yourself.
BTW, I used it when kayaking the other evening, but in that case, mounting the Xacti on a helmet would have been better, because my chest and thus the Xacti was turning slightly left and right with every stroke.
BTW, I am glad you promted me to write this, because I now think that I'll build me a helmet mount of some kind precisely for kayaking. In the air, however, I don't fancy using a "helmet cam", because I don't fancy the resulting video.

Here are two short videos (I have halved the bit rate and frame rate) for download from http://tivoli.mine.nu/peterl/

This one is from when I thermalled using my Sony 0,6X converter and no wind noise muffler:
http://tivoli.mine.nu/peterl/Xacti-t...lved_rates.MP4

This one is from a couple of days later, when I used the standard lens only and used Big Pete's Mike Muffler. For good measure I added a little something.

http://tivoli.mine.nu/peterl/Xacti-t...d_in_Xacti.MP4

Below is a link to an old topic with images on paraglidingforum where I suggested the camera holder as a convenient means to shoot both stills and video while flying, instead of settling for just one alternative. To support my memory and reminiscing about good times in the air, I like to be able to record both clips that show motion and images that show details of the scenery. Right now, I think the HD1000 is the optimum for that, combined with the 720p projector, that I bought second hand for only 400 EUR. The only dilemma seems to be, that the image quality is diminished by an add-on to the standard lens - even if I hope it's not as much as with my old Sony 0,6 wide converter...
http://www.paraglidingforum.com/view...?p=34921#34921