Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 23, 2008, 10:54 AM   #1141

Now there's even this shell for a HD1000 available, but I prefer to use mine above the earth's surface rather than below the sea's. It costs a bundle, too, of course...

P.S.: Strange, the image https://www.digitalstreet.nl/images/Sanyo-EHS1000HD.jpg was displayed when I wrote the post (at both attempts) but never materialized on the forum itself...
Big Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 4:21 PM   #1142

I have written this post for pgforum but take the liberty of posting it here, too.

Two hi-def movies for an interesting comparison

On this server: http://tivoli.mine.nu/peterl/ there are among a number of movies from different sites these two most recent additions - the first one by myself, the second one by Folkert alias Fly Luna

http://tivoli.mine.nu/peterl/hi-def_...t%20_Rixoe.MP4
"Scratching Granite on Sweden's West Coast"
Comments: This is a combination of three clips, the take-off clip was cut in both ends, the other two where added unchanged, all this was done without using a PC based editing program. I did, however, halve the frame rate and bit rate using Quick Time Player 7 Pro.
In comparison, my movie excels with regard to the audio and the aiming of the Xacti. I wrote about my wind noise muffler previously and about the chest mount which permits fairly good aiming by modifying pody posture. As seen on the image of the modified camera holder, the lens had better point somewhat downward.
Due to the use of that old Sony 0,6X converter lens, the video quality is inferiour.

http://tivoli.mine.nu/peterl/hi-def_...e_SANY0009.MP4
Thermalling at Volmerange in Northern France
Comments: Folkert had not edited the large clip, so I trimmed it, to begin with the actual take off instead of the take-off preparations. Folkert had mounted the Xacti on his cockpit, which compared with my setup means less control over where it is aimed.. With the lens aiming at a lot of sky (in the early part of the clip) the autofocus obviously has an hard time. With a 0,4X converter, it might be a good idea to just turn off the autofocus, because the depth of focus would be good enough with the Xacti set on infinity.....
Folkert's clip was shot in 1080i mode, a mode well known by readers of this forum to be more troublesome to handle than 720p. I cannot play it on my PC, nor convert it with QT. If you want to add it to a Xacti libary, just trim down the file name.

After seeing the difference in image quality between Folkert's clip and my movie, I had to put all travel plans on hold. I just have to get me a 0,4X converter first !!!
Old May 30, 2008, 4:56 PM   #1143

hi

I just bought the Xacti 1000 and trying, like everybody else, to edit successfully.

I read the manual and tried to clips the ends off of my video clips, but I haven't been able to figure out what they're talking about. Has anybody been doing in-camera editing with success? (I'm a little daunted by the warning in the manual that "long" video clips should be edited on a PC)

After a lot of work I've gotten my clips to play in Win Media Player. (I get the green screen in Quicktime). I am also in the process of "acquiring" Vegas, but it's version 7.something and I hope that will work, as 8 seems to.

But in the meantime I thought it would be interesting to be able to edit in the camera, so any tips would be much appreciated. Basically I just can't figure out the protocol as explained in the manual. I choose "Cut" but then I can't figure out how to tell it WHAT to cut.

Thanks.
neandergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 6:09 AM   #1144

hi guys, first of thanks to the review and the nice posts in this thread.

i had a hard time deciding wether to get the xacti HD 1000 or the new Sony HDR TG3, i went for the xacti, still unsure if it was the right decision.

now my problem, i use a Mac Pro and iMovie so I decided to record at 720p 60fps. The problem i have with that, is that iMovie only imports exactly half of the video samples. The problem seems to be the 60 fps, when I record at 30 fps, iMovie imports the whole clip. I would prefer to use the 60fps method though.

Has anyone encountered this problem and has a solution for it?
yoomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 4:41 PM   #1145

neandergal wrote:

>I read the manual and tried to clips the ends off of my video clips, but I haven't been able to figure out what they're talking about. Has anybody been doing in-camera editing with success? (I'm a little daunted by the warning in the manual that "long" video clips should be edited on a PC)
For the time being, I only use in-Xacti editing. May be in the wintertime, I can be bothered to learn something more advanced.
For the paragliding movie with "Rixoe" in the file name, I cut away at both ends of the take off clip and then I joined it in-Xacti with two unaltered clips.

>After a lot of work I've gotten my clips to play in Win Media Player.
Why bother, when we have the splendid Xacti Libary?

>But in the meantime I thought it would be interesting to be able to edit in the camera, so any tips would be much appreciated. Basically I just can't figure out the protocol as explained in the manual. I choose "Cut" but then I can't figure out how to tell it WHAT to cut.
After OKing Cut, push the toggle right to either advance step/framewise or to play until you reach the part that you want to save. You then push the OK/Pause button.
Then push the toggle uppward to next remove a part of the clip from the end backwards
When what you want to keep is trimmed from the ends, you do not push the OK button, but rather the left half circle button, which you would push to take a still image.
I shot a lot of kayaking clips today, which I to begin with copied to the Xacti libary (in other words: the originals files). Tomorrow I'll trim some clips, perhaps delete one, and then I'll join them to become a movie. It is nice to be able to add titles and subtitles, but I can live without that fancy stuff. I would not want to waste my time on deteriorating my videos by reducing them to standard resolution movies - that would defeat the whole purpose of now using a HD1000 in the first place.
BTW, I always shoot in 720p at 60fps. I see no pointIexcept saving some card space) in doing it at 30fps only, since I'd be playing back from the Xacti system anyway, and not from a computer or blue ray player...
Old Jun 1, 2008, 3:09 AM   #1146

yoomy wrote:
Quote:
hi guys, first of thanks to the review and the nice posts in this thread.

i had a hard time deciding wether to get the xacti HD 1000 or the new Sony HDR TG3, i went for the xacti, still unsure if it was the right decision.

now my problem, i use a Mac Pro and iMovie so I decided to record at 720p 60fps. The problem i have with that, is that iMovie only imports exactly half of the video samples. The problem seems to be the 60 fps, when I record at 30 fps, iMovie imports the whole clip. I would prefer to use the 60fps method though.

Has anyone encountered this problem and has a solution for it?

i found out some interesting stuff, i can avoid this problem if i manually import the data into imovie by selecting import movie then chosing the xacti drive and the video. the "cutting inhalf" only happens if i let imovie automaticly detect my camera and import the video.

maybe that information helps you guys find a solution.
yoomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 7:25 AM   #1147

thank you for responding -- I haven't dared use that Xacti library yet --

is that an editor? what Xactli* is it for?

(* I crack myself up)

Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:41 PM   #1148

neandergal wrote:
>thank you for responding -- I haven't dared use that Xacti library yet --

First of all, why "neandergal"? Are you a female living in Neandertal or what? There is nothing in your profile about your location nor gender. I refuse to give more information(more than today) until the profile is complemented.
Secondly, and most important of all, it is my firm opinion, that the Xacti Libary is ingenious . I am going to dedicate another disused 160GB hard disk drive as a libary to download to on my upcoming travels. To begin with, I used a 250 GB HDD after uprading to 500 GB for general purpose storage.
Thirdly, I have previously edited and joined clips in-Xacti, where the card capacity is a somewhat limiting factor. Today, I trimmed and combined clips shot yesterday on a canoeing excursion with my son's family. Here are my most interesting findings (at least to me they where ;-) from that process:

The number of clips that can be joined by the HD1000 is limited 9, whereas the number of clips that I wanted to join was about five times as much. No problem really - i joined five times 9 clips and then I joined those five. I then noticed that I had omitted one important clip, so I did the final joining once more, inserting the clip that was missing in the movie.
I started out using the HD1000 and it's memory card, but then used the Xacti Libary and my 250GB hard disc instead to really complete the editing job, in other words bypassing the SD card. I managed to produce a very nice little movie, if I may write so myself - the only things that IMO are lacking (and I can live without those during this summer) is inserted still images and text.

WHAT A GREAT SYSTEM THE XACTI HD 1000 IS INDEED!:-):-):-)

Old Jun 1, 2008, 2:05 PM   #1149

hi Big Pete

I only came in recently and haven't done a profile. Why "neandergal"? Because it occurred to me when I joined my first bbs in 1990. Who knows, perhaps a nod to "Civilization and its Discontents"? (Freud)

I would think that "gal" pretty clearly implies gender; however I would also have thought that the subject of video editing was rather gender-free. I guess nothing is, as Hillary Clinton would quite rightly tell us.

Thank you for encouraging me to use the Xacti Library. One reason I've been hesitating (if you can call the three days I've had the camera 'til today "hesitating") to edit in-camera is because the toggle thing seems pretty frail (?). I'm just not sure it's equipped to last if you push it around too much.

It sounds as if you're doing a lot of great stuff with your camera! I hope to also.

I will be going to Italy and then Prague for a whirlwind "What Me Worry about the exchange rate?" vacation in five weeks, and wanted to figure out in that time how to make the most of my new Xacti.

Thanks!

Old Jun 1, 2008, 5:56 PM   #1150

sorry, I hope you can clarify: do you edit clips while they are in the Library, or just in the camera? I am still not clear about how the library helps you edit. I thought the library was just a storage/playback area.

Thank you.

oh, I'm in New York City if you need that piece of info (?)