Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 7, 2008, 6:51 PM   #1161

After joining a number of video-editing forums and much research, I have been directed to the following software which seems really interesting:

http://www.vasst.com/product.aspx?id...d-7cee2cefba30

From the website:

"AVCHD UpShift is the answer for the AVC editing blues. This stand alone AVC file conversion application will allow you to convert your AVCHD clips to high bitrate MPEG files able to be edited on any MPEG2 capable NLE.

AVCHD UpShift will make the task of editing AVCHD on any computer nearly as easy as cutting DV files on your choice of software NLE.
AVCHD UpShift operates as a standalone program converting the highly processor-intensive MPEG4 AVC files to much more widely accepted cross platform MPEG2 files providing a workflow to directly supplement every existing PC software NLE on the market today, and allow conversion by way of a PC for all Macintosh computer users."

A $50 download.

I may try this!
neandergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:50 PM   #1162

Here is a question about the Xactli Library, which I've just been reading about.

Is this only to transfer files to an external hard drive if you don't want to use your computer? Or could you just as easily transfer them to your computer's hard drive to view them and edit them more easily within the camera? Or maybe it's better to just view them on a TV if you want to edit within the camera?

I don't have an external hard drive. Does this mean I have no use for the Library?

Thank you. Sorry if I sound ignorant, it's only because I am.

Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:58 PM   #1163

The external hard drive is just a storage device. It's best use is to dump your footage to the hard drive so you can wipe out the card and start recording again. Doing this will allow you to record many hours of footage with just one SDHC card. When it's nearly full you transfer the files to the external hard disk, format the card, and go back to recording. You can also view the files off the hard drive using the camera and docking station but you can't edit the files on the drive using the camera (at least that's what I found). If you ever do get an external drive for this make sure it has a seperate power connector! It seems a lot of people are having no success trying to use a USB Y cable to provide power.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:23 PM   #1164

neandergal wrote:
Quote:
I have given up on HD for the moment. I am experimenting with "TV quality": "TV-SHQ" and/or "TV HR" (both 640X480, one is 60fps, one is 30fps.)

I wonder if I should/could convert these "tv quality" files to those tiny "web-type" ones (oh I see it's 320x240, 15fps), edit them that way, and then blow them up again? The kind of projects I'm doing are not of a level where complete precision is necessary -- this is for amateur use, ranging from vacation videos to my dream of being one of those "indie" movie makers (although I am old enough to be their mother, who cares)

Liz
DON'T! You might live to regret it in years to come!
The point with choosing a HD1000 was to shoot video in HD, and if you don't have the wherewithal to edit in the PC right now (and I for one don't), then leave that problem until the long winter evenings and in the meantime, use the Xacti libary and record in 720p resolution on your travels*, which is not extreme to handle and yet a far cry from the resolutions you are contemplating.

*Be sure to consider before shooting, wether there really is any motion to justify a video clip. If nothing is moving, then choose to take a still image instead. Or take more than one and stitch them together. If the subject has "height", take the still in 4:3 aspect ratio.
Big Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:35 PM   #1165

Rev2010 wrote:
Quote:
You can also view the files off the hard drive using the camera and docking station but you can't edit the files on the drive using the camera (at least that's what I found).
As I wrote in a post on the previous (?)page, one can perfectly well edit the files on the drive, both cutting and joining can be done.

Neandergal, not getting and using an external hard disk drive for a Xacti libary (you have to format the HDD from the Xacti!!!) is like spending money on a HD device and then using it only for standard resolution video, or like choosing to buy a Xacti and then never taking stills with it.

Regarding a previous comment concerning the handling of the toggle, with which I agree to an extent - there is a preferable alternative, especially when you edit clips on the HDD, while the docking station is connected to an LCD TV set:
Use the remote control, which has the very same functions!

Old Jun 8, 2008, 3:14 PM   #1166

Hey Big Pete:

"not getting and using an external hard disk drive for a Xacti libary (you have to format the HDD from the Xacti!!!) is like [other horrible things]"

Why do you say that? What's wrong with using a computer to edit video, as millions of humans worthy of love and respect have been doing for thousands, well, um, a couple of, years? Why would I want to go out and buy yet another Thing when I have a perfectly fine computer at home? Why wouldn't the Xacti recognize my computer AS an external hard drive? after all, it is a hard drive, and it is external to the Xacti!

IDGI*

(I could just perform an experiment and see if it works but I don't want to break anything)

*an abbreviation for I Don't Get It

(I do get your point about shooting in HD. That seems:wise)

Also thanks for the heads up about the remote!

Old Jun 8, 2008, 4:24 PM   #1167

When you order the HD1000 to format the HDD, the latter becomes a Xacti libary.
If you do a lot of travelling and video and fill up the HDD (which will indeed take a lot), then you can format another HDD and start another Xacti libary.
When I connect my HD1000 to my PC, the Xacti resembles a memory card reader, and I also copy my Sanyo files to my PC (besides to the Xacti libary HDD), not the least to be able to "stich together" images to produce panoramas like http://www.paraglidingforum.com/download.php?id=12356
If and when you have formatted a Xacti libary, then you can connect that HDD to your computer, too, and see how it is organized and find and copy files to your PC, but generally not the other way round.

Old Jun 12, 2008, 1:10 PM   #1168

Does hd1000 have hot shue for ext flash or not.In spec is hot shue in user manual not hot shue.
vladanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:45 PM   #1169

vladanet wrote:
Quote:
Does hd1000 have hot shue for ext flash or not.In spec is hot shue in user manual not hot shue.
You can not trigger a flash mounted on the shoe by an electrical connection through the shoe to the flash.
You could mount a slave flash mounted on the shoe, which is triggered by the Xacti's own flash - but why bother to purchase a slave flash, if you don't have one already?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:57 PM   #1170

A few lines on the subject of successfully shuffling SANYO files back and forth:
When I joined those previously mentioned 9 clips at a time, which I had on a 2GB card, the free space on the card was insufficcient for editing all of it. So I joined 3X9 (IIRC) clips and transferred those to the Xacti libary, where I had previously transferred the whole day's filed. Then I put my 4GB card into the Xacti, transferred the joined clips from the Xacti libary to it and also joined the remaining batch of original clips quickly and easily. After that I did another edit job, namely the joining of the 4 sets of combined clips.
I am comfortable enough with the result to not spend any summertime on anything more sophisticated. The certainly coming winter will be long enough for toying/working more with all the files in my Xacti libary...