Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:29 AM   #1181

jimandsue60 wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if this is new news or not. My 1st gen mac book pro 1.8 downloaded the new version 7.5 of quick time today. I have no other codec or software besides Imovie06. I can now play, edit and save Full HD Movies 1920x1080 from my Xacti HD 1000.

Jim
Which graphics card do you have in your Pro?

On a standard macbook here, using intel GMA graphics I still need the avc1 decoder to play 1920 * 1080.

Other mac users might like to try "OSXBMC" which may incorporate the avc1 decoder as it plays HD ok without explicitly installing AVC1.
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:05 PM   #1182

I was not aware, that those who are only guests can not see attachments to posts on www.paragliding.com but even if you are not a paraglider pilot, you are welcome to register, so you can also see the images in the Sanyo HD1000 thread http://www.paraglidingforum.com/view...ighlight=xacti

I do not want to post large images on this here forum, because as I understand it, it would ruin the readability of the text on the page, because the latter would be "widened" excessively.
Big Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 1:23 PM   #1183

tvjohn wrote:
Quote:
jimandsue60 wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if this is new news or not. My 1st gen mac book pro 1.8 downloaded the new version 7.5 of quick time today. I have no other codec or software besides Imovie06. I can now play, edit and save Full HD Movies 1920x1080 from my Xacti HD 1000.

Jim
Which graphics card do you have in your Pro?

On a standard macbook here, using intel GMA graphics I still need the avc1 decoder to play 1920 * 1080.

Other mac users might like to try "OSXBMC" which may incorporate the avc1 decoder as it plays HD ok without explicitly installing AVC1.
I have the ATI Radeon X1600. It isn't perfect but usable in full hd. I still prefer to use the 1080X720

Jim
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 3:37 PM   #1184

I have an ati radeon 1600 Pro 512 too, and it really helps with HD video editing.

Ive found that just for simple video eduiting without tape, the HD1000 Xacti is really quite nice as it is so small, isn't waterproof, but oh well!

In terms of reviews, since there are so many, I compiled a bunch of them onto this page, let me know if it's helpful!
http://www.pointytriangles.com/Sanyo...d1000_reviews/

ackza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:26 AM   #1185

Hi everyone!

I've been reading this forum section since i'm considering buying a Xacti cam. I've gained lots of useful information here, and i'm really pleased with the local communicating quality, thank you guys for the pleasure of reading your posts!

I've been searching for a device that could be used as a pocket-sized take-everywhere cam AND a fixed dash cam. It's obvious now, that of all the Xacti models, HD1000 is the most convenient solution here - since all the others lack a dedicated DC-in port for the outer (car) power supply.

Now there are some specific questions.
The first one is - can it really record for 2.5 hours (640x480x30 mode, 4Gb limit) continuously, working on external DC power (so the battery is preserved)?

2. Does it keep recording if the monitor unit is closed (or nearly closed)?
Does the monitor switch off in the nearly closed position (preserving its life)?

3. What can you say about HD1000's lifetime if it is used in such an active manner (0.5-2.5 hours daily)?

4. Which additional lens is of more use with this cam - "wide conversion" VCP-L07W (0.7x), or "Semi fish-eye" VCP-L04F (0.4x)? I'm sure something is definitely needed here, but not sure what exactly is. First, the forward-looking dash-cam should have a good sides-view. Second, there's a need to make landscape records in wooded and mountainous areas. I have an uncertain feeling that 0.7 could be not enough...
What's the HD1000's default wide angle?
GMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 3:54 PM   #1186

GMaximus wrote:
Quote:
Hi everyone!

I've been reading this forum section since i'm considering buying a Xacti cam. I've gained lots of useful information here, and i'm really pleased with the local communicating quality, thank you guys for the pleasure of reading your posts!

I've been searching for a device that could be used as a pocket-sized take-everywhere cam AND a fixed dash cam. It's obvious now, that of all the Xacti models, HD1000 is the most convenient solution here - since all the others lack a dedicated DC-in port for the outer (car) power supply.

Now there are some specific questions.
The first one is - can it really record for 2.5 hours (640x480x30 mode, 4Gb limit) continuously, working on external DC power (so the battery is preserved)?

2. Does it keep recording if the monitor unit is closed (or nearly closed)?
Does the monitor switch off in the nearly closed position (preserving its life)?

3. What can you say about HD1000's lifetime if it is used in such an active manner (0.5-2.5 hours daily)?

4. Which additional lens is of more use with this cam - "wide conversion" VCP-L07W (0.7x), or "Semi fish-eye" VCP-L04F (0.4x)? I'm sure something is definitely needed here, but not sure what exactly is. First, the forward-looking dash-cam should have a good sides-view. Second, there's a need to make landscape records in wooded and mountainous areas. I have an uncertain feeling that 0.7 could be not enough...
What's the HD1000's default wide angle?
I can answer a couple of your questions. When I set mine to 640x480x30 it says I have 4hours 35 minutes on an 8gig card so yo should get just over 2 hours on a 4 gig card.

When you close the viewer it shuts off. I have put a small lens cleaning cloth on the screen and then closed the viewer with an elastic band holding it closed. This allowed me to mount it on my bicycle and take movies.

I would think it could last indefinitely with proper care and handling.

Jim
Old Jun 24, 2008, 4:46 PM   #1187

jimandsue60 wrote:
I have the ATI Radeon X1600. It isn't perfect but usable in full hd. I still prefer to use the 1080X720

Jim[/quote]

So it looks like that ATI card removes the need for you to install the AVC1 codec - interesting.

Can you elaborate on why you prefer 720 please Jim?
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:46 PM   #1188

tvjohn wrote:
Quote:
jimandsue60 wrote:

Jim
So it looks like that ATI card removes the need for you to install the AVC1 codec - interesting.

Can you elaborate on why you prefer 720 please Jim?[/quote]

It loads quicker and converts quicker onto my computer and Imovie, I get more video on my 8 gig card, the video plays back perfect on my mac book pro and my 37 inch aquos. We live and travel the country in an rv and don't have a land based fast internet so when I post videos I have to post smaller ones otherwise I spend hours uploading. Maybe when I get a faster computer I will shoot in full hd, but that won't be for a few months. The 720 just runs smoother than the 1080.

Jim
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:23 PM   #1189

jimandsue60, thank you for the reply,

does the monitor go off when nearly closed? It's a handy feature introduced in camcorders long time ago. Would be a pity not to have it.

Can you confirm that HD1000 being connected to an external DC supply through its DC-in port not only recharges its battery when turned off, but also, while recording, uses the external power supply rather than its battery?

I'm buying it distantly, so can't personally check its features beforehand...
GMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 11:22 PM   #1190

GMaximus wrote:
Quote:
jimandsue60, thank you for the reply,

does the monitor go off when nearly closed? It's a handy feature introduced in camcorders long time ago. Would be a pity not to have it.

Can you confirm that HD1000 being connected to an external DC supply through its DC-in port not only recharges its battery when turned off, but also, while recording,* uses the external power supply rather than its battery?

I'm buying it distantly, so can't personally check its features beforehand...
The monitor and the camera turns off when the viewer is about 3/16 of an inch before closing.

I cannot verify the dc issue, I don't have the dc wiring.

Jim