Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:50 PM   #111

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
Could someone point me to the Japanese manuals? Did someone already post a link?[...]
I was waiting for the English ones before posting a link. They should show up online soon, butuntil then here you go: the Japanese HD1000 manual; the Japanese HD1000 quick start guide; the Japanese HD1000 Xacti Library guide; and you probably don'twant this, but for completeness, the Japanese HD1000 safety warnings pamphlet.

You might find what you are looking for on page 156 (=page 171 in PDF) of the Japanese manual.

Oh, BTW Sanyo has updated it's Japanese product page and technical specs/accessories page, as well as added a flash promo page.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 11:27 AM   #112

God I hate WYSIWYG editors...

Anyway, this sample is interesting to me b/c of the jerkiness of the video. I'm only guessing here, but it doesn't look like operator jerkiness it kind of looks like codec jerkiness. But the reason why I post is because sometimes I think was some people critique as codec-related is really STABILIZATION related. I found this to be the case with my CG65 in a big, BIG, way, and I pretty much never use stabilization on it anymore. I get a wider angle of view with it off, but I've found that overall, I get less shake, not more. The CG65's EIS at least isn't that good at recognizing panning from shake, and to be honest, that fish video looks to be the same to me. I wish they'd put OIS on this puppy, but I guess you can't have it all!

Caelum wrote:

Quote:
By the way, a new HD1000 sample was put up on digiblo yesterday. It's a 720p sample of a fish in water.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:26 PM   #113

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
[...]is really STABILIZATION related.[...]
Yeah, looks like digital image stabilization to me as well, not a codec issue (unless it's a smooth playback issue). We'll have to see the final release DIS performance but so far, once more, it looks like it may be better off when not trying to just hold a steady shot.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:53 PM   #114

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
[...]is really STABILIZATION related.[...]
Yeah, looks like digital image stabilization to me as well, not a codec issue (unless it's a smooth playback issue). We'll have to see the final release DIS performance but so far, once more, it looks like it may be better off when not trying to just hold a steady shot.
Not sure now, I just transcoded the 720p clip to Cineform, and it played back much better in my NLE. So, it might be a mix of codec, stabilization, and a playback issue on my box.

BTW, does anyone else use an intermediate codec to edit with? I've been doing that whenever doing a project with my CG65. I transcode to Cineform, and then I have the luxury of real-time editing, even with effects and transitions and whatnot -- all without much generational loss (which is the point of Cineform in the first place). Of course, I do get generational loss when I do my final renders back to WMV, MOV, or MP4, but I wonder if anyone else is using more pro-like workflows with these tiny MP4 cams? Funny thing is, I often run double-system sound too. So I often record pro audio, and edit using a pro workflow, all while using "youtube" quality video, LOL!
Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:58 PM   #115

Good point, it may simply be a playback issue after all. I just tried converting it to WMV and it does play more smoothly for me as well. It's going to be difficult to judge the HD1000's video performance from sample files ifour PCsdon't play back the video smoothly. We'll need hands on tests with the HD1000 directly connected to an HDTV, as this will be the typical users' usage. :G

I don't use an intermediate editing format. I get very near real-time performance in Sony Vegas in preview mode with both MPEG-4 SP and AVCVGA resolution video, with some blending effects causingslight slow downs. Of course that wouldn't be the case at all with HD content, however.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 3:16 PM   #116

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Good point, it may simply be a playback issue after all. I just tried converting it to WMV and it does play more smoothly for me as well. It's going to be difficult to judge the HD1000's video performance from sample files ifour PCsdon't play back the video smoothly. We'll need hands on tests with the HD1000 directly connected to an HDTV, as this will be the typical users' usage. :G

I don't use an intermediate editing format. I get very near real-time performance in Sony Vegas in preview mode with both MPEG-4 SP and AVCVGA resolution video, with some blending effects causingslight slow downs. Of course that wouldn't be the case at all with HD content, however.
I've got a brand spanking new box, and although vegas can (barely) keep up with 640x480 AVC 3mbs at 29.97 in preview, the minute I do anything else, effects, transitions, levels, etc., it starts dropping frames. Sometimes, it's good enough to do the edit, but other times, it's a PITA.

Did you know that Vegas comes with Cineform for free? It's not their dedicated tool, like HDLink or Aspect HD, etc., and there isn't many settings you can change, but... It is there and it is free. Worth knowing about for sure if you're a vegas user.

Basically, you do this. Drop all of your clips into the timeline, then render out to AVI, selecting one of the intermediate presets. You can confirm you are going to cineform by clicking on custom from the render dialog and confirm what codec is being used.

Once you've rendered out a cineform version of your clips, it'll be much larger than the original clips, you can then start a new project in vegas using the cineform version. Basically, chop up the cineform avi, edit it, add transitions, etc. Then render out from there. If you use that workflow with the MP4/AVC footage, you'll be able to edit in real-time even with loads of effects running on multiple tracks.

This is essentially the workflow used by a lot of HDV users, and now by AVCHD users...
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:33 PM   #117

http://www.andpop.com/article/9974

So the 1000 was launched in Canada. Any Canadians on the verge of posting their hands on review?
flowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:41 PM   #118

Holy crap, its 1100 CDN MSRP... while the States is 799 MSRP

i'm in vancouver BC, but i think i know where i won't be buying this baby from
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 4:52 AM   #119

Are there any in depth reviews of the HD1000 anywhere yet? I can only find the press release and a few other small bits of info but nothing in depth.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:38 AM   #120

TheTurk wrote:
Quote:
Are there any in depth reviews of the HD1000 anywhere yet? I can only find the press release and a few other small bits of info but nothing in depth.
probably won't be any offical review for at least another week... the release date in North America is like Oct. 2nd i think
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote