Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 12, 2008, 2:01 PM   #1201
zod

Read an interestingannouncement from Pinnacle Systems:

Among the first to offer native HDV and AVCHD editing software, Pinnacle Systems Studio Plus and Ultimate now includes new Blu-ray disc burning capabilities in BD-MV with motion menus. AVCHD 1920 and support for various HD camcorder types including JVC full HD, Canon Vixia, Sanyo Xacti have also been added.

So I installed Pinnacle Systems 12 Ultimate on my Core2 Quad, 8800GT system and so far it works fine. No problem importing and editing HD1000 1080i footage.
zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 5:23 AM   #1202

GMaximus wrote:
Quote:
Thank you Big Pete, but my situation has changed, guess i'm gonna be satisfied with Samsung NV24HD as an "always-in-pocket" + dash-cam, and keep dreaming of a better camcorder.
I, on the other hand, are satisfied with the HD1000, which I carried conveniently in a little external pocket fastened to my belt when on Iceland. I think it is perfect for travel. I pitied the other tourists with their bulky DV camcorders that I saw at Gullfoss and other waterfalls, plus the multitude who tried to record the sights of falling waters by taking still images.
I even flew so high and in fairly calm air, that I screwed off the semi-fisheye adapter (secured by a home-made lanyard, of course) from the lens while 500m above the hilltop, to be able to take still images of Reykjavik and the countryside around me!
Big Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 5:34 AM   #1203

It has been known from the start, that the autofocus of the HD1000 is somewhat lacking, and I accepted that because of all it's other advantages, but now I found out something that really pisses me off and that I hope can and will be remedied:
When choosing the "landscape" mode, the autofocus is still changing focus if you pan and something appears in the foreground. This I found out to my dismay after a trip to Mallorca. I would be able to reluctantly live with that, but the autofocus is even operating and trying and searching, when I shoot video - even after having set the HD1000 on man focus and indefinite!!!
Does anybody know for sure, that a firmware update will remedy this?
As an alternative, can anyone provide me with a contact adress at Sanyo which would not be the equivalent of talking to the wall, but rather someone who really would be understanding, knowledgeable and willing to initiate corrective measures?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 5:42 AM   #1204

I had written a lengthy description of the problems and two querys, but the post disappeared in cyberspace, so I'll keep it short on my second try:

Does anybody know wether an update of the firmware will remedy the focusing deficiencies? The autofocus is still working (badly) when I shoot video with man focus chosen and set on indefinite!
As an alternative, can anyone provide me with the adress of a contact at Sanyo who will be understanding, knowledgeable and willing to initiate corrective measures?

Both "landscape" and "man focus + indefinite" should never allow the autofocus to interfere and blur the scenery when shooting video clips.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 3:39 AM   #1205

I am in need of help, so I sure hope I'm not the only one left checking and writing to this forum:

Has anyone here successfully updated the firmware in the HD1000, and in that case how exactly???
I have followed the instructions (i quote)
Insert a SD card which is copied the new firmware
Turn on in Play mode
Select FORMAT in OPTION MEN. (Don't put SET yet)
Move set toggle left and keep it for a while.
Then it ask you whether you update or not

I pushed that toggle to the left for a really long while, but NOTHING HAPPENED. For my second attempt I had even deleted the dcim folder from the SD card, so that there was nothing but that .bin file on it.
What could I do, what should I do???
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:53 PM   #1206

I am most certainly a noob, so please be gentle if this is a stupid point about the auto-focus.

Have you tried switching from the 9 point to the single point focus mode, I have only had my HD1010 for a day so I may be talkin $"£$£.....

Mark.
Barbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 9:26 AM   #1207

Yes, I have been using the single point autofocus mode a lot last month.
I have a feeling that it may be preferable, but no evidence...
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:54 AM   #1208

Hi Big Pete,

Sorry I can't answer your question, I just wanted to say thanks for your 600 meg paragliding video. It was your video that finally convinced me to buy my HD1010. I am using mine for hang gliding videos and tried it out for the first time last Sunday.

I noticed that I had focus shift when shooting a hang glider against a blue sky and hopefully I will be able to correct this by either assigning focus lock to the joy stick or setting the focus manually.

I will do a test tomorrow to see if I have the same problem as you with focus shifting even with focus set on infinity. It sounds as though you may have a faulty camera if focus lock or manually setting the focus to infinity still has the camera focus hunting.

Is it still under warranty? If it is they should fix it for you.

Cheers

Robert
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 9:35 PM   #1209

Hi Big pete,

Well I checked my camera today and the lock focus and manual focus definitely work as advertised. If I lock focus it stays at that focal length until I unlock it and it then auto focuses to the new distance.

Cheers

Robert

relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 3:17 AM   #1210

relate2 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Big pete,

Well I checked my camera today and the lock focus and manual focus definitely work as advertised. If I lock focus it stays at that focal length until I unlock it and it then auto focuses to the new distance.
Thanks for the reply. At long last proof that someone other than myself is still having a look at this forum ;-)
However, when you write "lock focus", this signifies to me that you are writing about shooting stills. The unwanted and undesirable focusing activity which I would like to stop occurs while shooting video.

BTW, I still wish I knew how to get my HD1000 to accept this s211n079.bin file for firmware update...