Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 20, 2008, 3:40 AM   #1211

Big Pete wrote:
Quote:
relate2 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Big pete,

Well I checked my camera today and the lock focus and manual focus definitely work as advertised. If I lock focus it stays at that focal length until I unlock it and it then auto focuses to the new distance.
Thanks for the reply. At long last proof that someone other than myself is still having a look at this forum ;-)
However, when you write "lock focus", this signifies to me that you are writing about shooting stills. The unwanted and undesirable focusing activity which I would like to stop occurs while shooting video.

BTW, I still wish I knew how to get my HD1000 to accept this s211n079.bin file for firmware update...
I am talking about video when I talk about allocating focus lock to the joystick and manual focus to infinity.

Cheers

Robert
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:05 AM   #1212

Please elaborate, Robert, either on-forum or by forum-PM or by email.
I have not at all decided on and implemented any "short cuts" yet and would like to benefit from your experiences before giving it a try.

Big Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 2:10 PM   #1213
vip

Maybe I can be of help too.

I have defined two shortcuts for the purpose; one is focus lock, that works as expected, locking the current focus position and preventing autofocus to work. This setting works while recording but has the caveat that you need to have a proper focus at the time you lock it (quite obvious). You can use it when some conditions are making the auto focus get crazy so you point to an stable reference, get proper focus and then lock it (ie; in low light conditions).

The second shortcut is the focus mode, that cycles between standard auto-focus, manual focus or macro. Once the manual focus is selected you can change the focus distance using the cursor left-right to move from short distance focusing (20 cm) to 40m and then infinity. A caveat for this is you can't use it while recording but you can set it to infinity before start recording, or stop recording, change to manual and then start recording again.

Hope this helps
vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 4:28 PM   #1214

Thanks for the replies.
I am fairly certain, that I had once set my HD1000 on manual focus and infinity, and still the focus was not steady on infinity.
I am absolutely certain, that I once had chosen "Landscape" as scene, and still the Xacti focused on something in the foreground while I was panning (which blurred the mountains in the distance).

I have tried again to upload the firmware update and realized, where I took a wrong step. Instead of only marking the word "format" on the options page, I had also pushed the Set button, under the assumption, that it was when the "Format-Full format" alternatives are displayed, that I was supposed to push the toggle to the left.
So now I have finally and just uploaded the firmware uptdate. I am in great suspense as to wether it will make any noticeable difference to the better!
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:29 PM   #1215

I think vip has covered it pretty well Pete. If you at least set one of the joystick positions to lock focus I think you may find it solves all of your focus problems. If it does not work the same as mine and vip's then the camera may be faulty.

Regarding landscape mode I think it still allows you to focus on subjects fairly close as well as mountains just not macro subjects.

I haven't had a chance to have a second go at filming my hang gliding but I can see myself choosing manual focus on infinity when I am on the ground filming gliders in the air and focus lock when I am filming in the air as I sometimes turn the camera around onto myself or my wing and need the closer focus at those times.

Cheers

Robert
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:31 PM   #1216

Sorry double post.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 6:52 AM   #1217

What every Xacti User has to try is using a Polarizer or ND4 filter. I discovered when this baby gets an overdose contrastfocusshe starts jumping sometimes. These filters help in that matter and might solve Petes problems also.It even makes your pics (in daytime) much more attractive. In low light dont use them!

P.S. 40.5Polarizers and ND4 are hard to get. Use a step up to 52mm and use a lenshood! More HD vids, tips and share yours atXacti Vimeo+ Forum also comparison with HD1010 are coming up:http://www.vimeo.com/SanyoHD1000
DVC4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 2:59 PM   #1218

This is incredible but the sad truth: I had some difficulty upgrading the firmware according to http://www.sanyo.de/products/digital...?lg=E&n1=5
but I persisted and was what I thought was successful in the end.
However, it looks like I have in fakt downgraded, because I just compared the EXIF information for a recent image with a previous one, and the most recent said firmware version 1.0.0, whereas the firmware according to an older jpeg image was 1.1.0

Any comments or suggestions, exept enquiring at sanyo.de, which I figure on doing sooner or later? At least the Xacti is still working even after the downgrade...:?
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:53 AM   #1219

I read somewhere, I think on the Sanyo site, that the firmware name for Europe is 1.0 and for the USA it's 1.10 but I think they're supposed to be technically the same. You'll have to confirm with Sanyo though. You could always apply the USA firmware over it.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 8:30 PM   #1220

I know these are repeat questions but there are now 60 plus pages here to go through (and I looked through many of them). I have a HD1000 on order (Circuit City has on sale for $449). I currently have Pinnacle Studio 11 ultra and Nero 8. Will these work for editing using 1080i or 720/60fps? I'm coming from a HD700 which I really liked. Am I going to notice much difference in video quality? What's a good cheap wide angle lens? Amazon has the Sanyo lens for $88. Is this a good deal?
Thanks!
I
willk is offline   Reply With Quote