Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:12 PM   #1231

Just in case anyone still checks for new posts on this forum, let me tell you, that I have with great satisfaction used a Canon wide angle add-on lens with my Xacti HD1000, albeit only on the ground and indoors up until now.

Here are a few lines that I have written for a post on paraglidingforum. I invite you to check out my most recent thread there: http://www.paraglidingforum.com/view...=143132#143132
There you can find IMO very important information, but if you prefer a direct link to the subject of that information here it is: http://www.coreavc.com/
Regards from Sweden
PEter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EXPERIENCES OF WIDE ANGLE ADD-ON LENSES

My compact Canon S80 digicam has a zoom range from about the equivalent of 29mm and up 4x. The resulting in-flight videos were good enough for me and my circumstances at the time.

When I started using the Xacti HD1000, it became obvious that the standard lens was for a variety of reasons inadequate for shooting video in the air, even though it was good for other outdoor use. I already had a 0,7x Sony lens for my D8 camcorder. The thread sizes did not match, but even though it was not easy, I obtained a step-down ring for about USD 15, and flew and shoot video with the 0,7x lens screwed on to the Xacti's standard lens. I was satisfied with the angle and the resulting video(apparent "shake reduction") , except for the annoying blur towards the corners of the picture. An example of the kind of video resulting from the use of this lens is (save target as) http://tivoli.mine.nu/peterl/HD720p_...ixoe_12Mbs.MP4
If the rest of the video picture were as sharp as it's center, I probably would have kept on using this "free" lens, being a penny-pincher and having payed only about EUR 500 for the whole Xacti package. However, I felt compelled to spend some more money for a 0,4x semi-fisheye lens. Several other forum members have bought and tried Sanyo's 0,7x lens and then purchased the 0,4 lens instead. I also bouth the 0,4X lens (for EUR 100) because I kind of already had a 0,7x lens - at least that was my thinking at the time.
I got some nice video footage using the0,4x lens, which is perfect when scratching the side of a mountain. A video that I myself can't get tired of watching is http://tivoli.mine.nu/peterl/HD720p_...foss_12Mbs.MP4 (superiour to the severely compressed version of this movie on Vimeo, there are also other real originals of my vimeo-movies)

I found that the 0,4x lens has two drawbacks. The minor one is, that I have to make sure to zoom in a little after having started the Xacti, corresponding to about 1x zoom, the purpose of this being to get rid of the ugly and annoying black vignetting at the corners of the video picture. Sometimes, I forgot to do that, and it causes regret every time I see that clip. A major problem is, that one cannot zoom in a lot with that lens on, without loosing too much "sharpness" (for lack of a better word). This and that it makes absolutely no sense at all to take still images in the air, while the 0,4x lens is on the Xacti. For that reason, I just had to inconvenience myself and screw off the 0,4x lens while soaring high over Iceland, take stills and then screw the semi-fisheye lens back on. I even did this one more time during the same flight!

Praise has been heaped on Canon's H.264 camcorders like the HF10, 100 and 11 for their outstanding picture quality. Thinking that I might upgrade to one of these and shoot in 1080 resolution eventually, I thought that in that case, I would also have to get a Canon wide angle lens. I decided to already this month spend the equivalent of EUR 150 for a Canon WD-H37II, with the option of a refund, in case it does not meet my expectations. However, it certainly did! It was bulkier and heavier than the 0,4x lens, as expected, but it also had superiour optical quality, as expected. Now I can even zoom in 10x with the 0,7 lens mounted on the standard lens by means of the abovementioned step-down (40,5 to 37mm thread) ring!!!
I recommend this Canon wide angle lens, even to Xacti owners. If you have questions about the step-down ring, PM me.
Two days ago, I added short test clips shot with my WD-H37II mounted on both a Canon HF10 and my Xacti HD1000.to http://tivoli.mine.nu/peterl/H264%20sample%20clips/

I can tell you this much: I am in no hurry to replace my HD1000 with a Canon H.264 camcorder.
Big Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:38 AM   #1232

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...2000-36124.htm#

XACTI HD200O COMING !!!!!!!!
rosobrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:01 PM   #1233

Thanks, Rosobrer!

Now I can forget the Canon AVC camcorders and instead plan to eventually upgrade to a HD2000! I was not overly impressed by the panning clips with the Canon devices anyway, and even less by the still image resolution of the Canons. I am, however, impressed by the quality of the Canon wide angle lens, even though it may weigh as much as a HD 2000.
8 megapixel stills may well make the HD2000 a winner. I am in suspense, waiting for the first sample images!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:22 PM   #1234

Yes Pete, I was also interested in Canons but after I have read the review of th Sanyo HD 1010 made by Camcorderinfo I have dropped the idea of buying a Canon. These guys at Camcorderinfo write excellent and deep reviews but seemed to have some sort of prejudice against the Sanyos, until they tried the HD 1010

I own an HD 1000 which I use with much satisfaction in travels and mountain activties (walking and climbing) with a Raynox wide angle

I'll keep my HD1000 for the moment (upgraded from HD1a last year, big leap in quality) at least until the editing issues (with my MAC) are solved.
The only thing I miss is a good stabilizer, but in the end you can't have all in such a small camera

I wait eagerly for a review of the HD 2000 !!
Old Jan 27, 2009, 5:39 AM   #1235

rosobrer wrote:
Quote:
I'll keep my HD1000 for the moment (upgraded from HD1a last year, big leap in quality) at least until the editing issues (with my MAC) are solved.
Same here. I guess I'll be (fairly) content to continue shooting video in 720p this year, while waiting for the prices to drop for the HD2000 itself but even more so for all the rest that is needed for handling 1080p video - most of all a 1080p projector.
Then again, may be I'll be that tempted by the HD2000 and it's 8 megapixels that I won't be able to control my lust until next year, but decide to give the HD1000 to one of my children's family already in the course of 2009...
Old Feb 13, 2009, 5:22 AM   #1236

I recently contacted Sanyo regarding the focus hunting issues with the HD1000 and they responded with

'Our Product Manager for digital imaging products has explained that focus hunting is potentially an issue with all camcorders and is particularly noticeable in lower light conditions. As with all these things, 'light' is the key. There is no evidence that there is a particular problem with the model VPC-HD1000, no camcorder made by any manufacturer can focus instantly, it's just not possible.'

Hmmm, how come the HD1010 has greatly improved focus handling then??????

Crooks!!!!
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:56 AM   #1237

TheTurk wrote:
Quote:
'There is no evidence that there is a particular problem with the model VPC-HD1000, no camcorder made by any manufacturer can focus instantly, it's just not possible.'
Wow, Sanyo is a bunch of morons to send a response like that! No evidence? How about the hundreds (or thousands)of owners complaining in message boards all around the world! How about the reviews from real technologyreview websites!

Pretty idiotic of them.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 5:56 PM   #1238

first HD2000s on Ebay

object numer 300293714494

quite expensive, for the moment

Old Apr 1, 2009, 5:22 AM   #1239

HD2000 REVIEW AT CAMCORDERINFO

LOOKS LIKE IT IS AN IMPRESSIVE CAMERA
Old Apr 1, 2009, 1:42 PM   #1240

I had a great flight a couple of days ago, with my HD1000 recording all of it, so I can re-enjoy the view. However, I used the semi-fisheye 0,4x wide lens, and in spite of the advantages it provides, it makes alternating between video clips and stills impossible.
I had contemplated upgrading to a Canon HF11 or the like eventually and in anticipation of that, I had decided to spend money on a Canon 0,7X lens this spring.
The optical quality of that lens met my expectations, but the comparison clips that I had made did not show the HF 10 and 11 to be significantly superiour to my HD1000.
My sample clips are available for download at http://tivoli.mine.nu/peterl/H264%20sample%20clips/

I had previously obtained a step-down ring from Sanyo's 40,5mm thread to Canon's 37mm, and the Canon lens works perfectly with my Xacti. With this Canon 0,7X lens, it is possible to take enjoyable still images. In a way, I wish I had used the 0,7X lens last week instead of the 0,4X lens, but at that time, I felt more secure with the smaller lens than the larger and heavier 0,7X Canon lens.

The Xacti libary is great, and it is even possible to use a 16 GB USB stick as Xacti Libary, which is great while travelling.

I have decided to carry on using a Xacti, but to upgrade to a HD2000 already this summer, mainly because of the 8MP stills, but I'll shoot video in full HD, too.
So what are we to do - start a new topic for the HD2000 or continue right here... ?:?