California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash
hands after handling.

Is this camera made in China?
:?
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 5:53 PM   #162

klas wrote:
Quote:
they did offer the best price ($720) on a just released camera.

Does anyone know if 16GB SDHC will work. BTW, I also noticed one thing in the manual and was kinda disappointed. Camera allows recording up to 4GB...
You sure that's not gray market (no USA warranty) for that price? I bet it is...

Also, the 4 gig thing is actually pretty common. I do a lot of audio recording, and as it turns out the file system itself many times is the culprit on that. I might not have this exactly correct, but I think FAT32 can only handle 2 gig files and NTFS can only handle 4 gig files due to address space limitations of the file system. In fact, even if you could get an 8 gig file, you wouldn't be able to transfer it to your computer because of the same issue on your PC.

With audio recorders, usually one of two things can happen when you hit the limit. Many just stop the recording at that point, but the best ones create a second file with a seemless split and just continues to record. So, if you but the two files together in your editor you're fine. With GOP'd MP4 video that'd probably be harder to actually do, the seemless split, but it is too bad that it doesn't just start a new file.
Not that big of a deal considering almost every recorder out there can run into this problem, not just Sanyo, but too bad it doesn't just start a new file.

Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:53 AM   #163

well I suppose I am taking a chance here, but so are 44 other people (it shows 0 in stock). I don't mind it being gray market as long as the only thing is missing is warranty, but beachaudio is pretty reputable seller, so I don't see why they would do that.
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 1:43 AM   #164

Old HACer wrote:
Quote:
FOR AMERICAN USERS
The following advisory is included in accordance with the laws of the State of
California (USA):
WARNING:
This product contains chemicals, including lead, known to the State of
California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash
hands after handling.

Is this camera made in China?
:?
Hmmm... so in other words dont lick the camera on a regular basis or your risks of certain ailments go up a percentage
flowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 2:57 AM   #165

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
Also, the 4 gig thing is actually pretty common. I do a lot of audio recording, and as it turns out the file system itself many times is the culprit on that. I might not have this exactly correct, but I think FAT32 can only handle 2 gig files and NTFS can only handle 4 gig files due to address space limitations of the file system. In fact, even if you could get an 8 gig file, you wouldn't be able to transfer it to your computer because of the same issue on your PC.
FAT32 allows upto 4GB file sizes not 2GB, NTFS allows much more the amount escapes at the moment.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 8:21 AM   #166

First Impressions

Not a review because I have only played with it some but here are some random thoughts.

Mine was ordered from Beach Audio via 2 day shipping and it was delivered on time. I am very pleased with the purchase process and delivery.

The HD1000 is a bit larger and heavier than expected. It is bigger than the other Sanyo hybrids but it also feels more substantial. It is has a solid feel in my hand. I knew the barrel would be larger because of the optics and it is but overall the camera seems somewhat bigger than I expected. This one really isn't pocket-sized and I have pretty big (if not deep) pockets. I am not disappointed by this at all, it is just an observation.

It comes with a wrist strap and I do recommend using it. The camera is awkward to "fiddle" with due to size, shape, and weightand could easily slip out of your hand while changing the memory card or battery or whatever.

I have ordered a uv filter to use as lens protection from dirt, fingerprints, scratches, etc. It is a 40.5 mm filter so the lens cap should fit over it. The lens cap does not have a string to attach it to the camera which is a bit odd because all other "doors" and access points are attached to the camera. There are methods to attach a lens cap to the wrist strap if you do a google search or something as it is a fairly common need among camera owners.

I ordered 2 generic batteries. This is a new battery which is expensive to get OEM if you can find it so I just ordered a couple of generics from eBay to get me by until better are available.

Already mentioned that I have a pair of 8gb sdhc memory cards which should be more than enough for me. Remember to format the card in the camera the first time you put it in.

The microphone is on the opposite side of the view screen and it does appear to have nice sound though I'll know more after the weekend. There is a level control for external mic levels but there is no audio meter or level indicator while recording so headphones are a must while recording with an external microphone. One of the reasons I chose this camera over the new Panasonic HD flash memory camcorder is the ability to use an external microphone. This was more important to me then the Panasonic having optical stabilization as well as digital.

The menu system is easy and the camera is pretty intuitive for anyone with prior experience with digicams and/or camcorders. This is my first Sanyo and Ifeel fairly confident using the HD1000 without taking the manual after just playing with it a couple of hours.

The only video was taken last night under the worst possible conditions inside and it was ok. Let'sbe honest, when TV shows or news organizations shoot indoors they have flood and spotlights bright as sunlight and reflector screens. Consumer camcorders are not night vision goggles. The most common complaint about digicams and camcordersis indoor performance but I take zero stock in that. If you are going to take video indoors be prepared or properly set your expectations.

Finally, mine is the black version which I wanted. The model number I ordered had bk on the end which I hoped meant black.

For me, so far so good; this is going to be fun.

Regards,
Lake

laked3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 9:19 AM   #167

Good to hear, I should get mine today from the same source.:lol:

Tell us, what is the battery number?
Egmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 9:27 AM   #168

I believe it is DB-L50 but this is from memory. Search for HD1000 battery and you'll find them.

R,
Lake
laked3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 10:03 AM   #169

laked 3 or anyone with the hd1000, please post some sample videos under low light & regular conditions.(1080i) of course it would have to be like 10-30 seconds because of file size.
killahb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:55 PM   #170

Got mine a few minutes ago and yes, it is US Warranty
Egmont is offline   Reply With Quote