Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:08 AM   #191

a73x15 wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know where is the ND filter in the HD1000?
Looks like you double-posted this question, so I'll refer others to your thread.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 1:33 PM   #192

FYI --

B&H has them in stock now. Ordered mine yesterday. :-)
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 3:05 PM   #193

2 new batteries came in yesterday. I mentioned before that I ordered 2 generic batteries. Last night I charged each one of them in the HD1000 (getting ready for a trip this weekend).

If I can share some advice to those that haven't purchased a lot of cameras or camcorders it is to not buy every accessory available. Find out how you are actually going to be using the camera and then accessorize as needed. For instance, after testing I can see thata wide angle lens could be useful with this camera. However, theoptical zoom on this cameria is 10x so I personally can't justify a zoom lens. I already have a nicewide angle lens so I ordered the step up ring so it will attach to myHD1000. I'll share the results when I try it out after the ring gets here.

Obviouslyan extra battery or two or more and maybe a couple of memory cards or morefor the casual user is a good starting point.

More than once I have purchasedevery possible add-on to a camera and found that Ididn't use them.

Another thought along the same lines is that you don't want too much to have to haul around. One of the fun thingsabout the HD1000 is that it is of a size that allows you to take it practically anywhere and you aren't going to want to haul a ton of extras along with it.

One of the nice things about this camera is it does a pretty nice job out of the box without add-ons.

Regards,
Lake
laked3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 3:14 PM   #194

that's some useful info. Btw, can you recommend wide lens adapter? I found out it that I really need one right away.
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 3:23 PM   #195

Don't forget that by turning OFF EIS, you instantly get a wider field of view. Granted, not that much wider, but do the comparison yourself -- it's not insignificant either.

Curious about the generic batteries and where you guys are getting them. Also, whether you think getting a charger might be worth it? I see packages of batteries plus a charger on eBay going for pretty cheap. Seems like it might be worth it?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 3:27 PM   #196

got it off ebay, I think it was $25 including shipping for 1 battery and a charger. You can get cheaper from Chinese sellers though. Most of them sell it in packs of 2
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 3:32 PM   #197

One other thing...

Has anyone else noticed that there are a few different shooting modes between the HD1000 and the HD700? (and I mean besides the 12 mbs modes)

Looks like the HD1000 has a 6mbs 640x480 mode but the HD700 doesn't?

And it looks like the HD700 has a 6mbs 720p30 mode that the HD1000 doesn't?

Not sure I got that right, but that's really too bad in a way.

Also, I wish they'd make a high bit rate widescreen standard def mode. Like a DV resolution of 720x480 with 1.22 pixel aspect ratio running at 9 or 12 mbs or something like that. I'd actually prefer a higher bit rate at a lower resolution than some of these modes that offer a high bit rate but with WAY MORE resolution. Also, a 24p mode would be freakin' sweet.

They should let us set 15, 24, 30, and 60 fps in combination with the bit rate and resolution of our choice (with obvious combinations ruled out). Like why no higher bit rates with lower resoltions? Why no 24p mode? And why not let us shoot 60 fps at 640x480, or better yet, maybe 90 fps at 640x320? That'd make for some sick slo mo. Heh... Can't have everything though, and these cams seem to just be getting better...
Old Oct 12, 2007, 3:34 PM   #198

My wide angle conversion lensis a RAYNOX HD-6600PRO. I use it on more than one camera and I don't know yet whether it will work on the HD1000 but it should.

There could be other models that turn out to be better but this is the one I have now.

Regards,
Lake

laked3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:33 PM   #199

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
Don't forget that by turning OFF EIS, you instantly get a wider field of view. Granted, not that much wider, but do the comparison yourself -- it's not insignificant either.

Curious about the generic batteries and where you guys are getting them. Also, whether you think getting a charger might be worth it? I see packages of batteries plus a charger on eBay going for pretty cheap. Seems like it might be worth it?
Ok, fill in a dummy, explain EIS? I have the Nikon 200 and never heard of it.:?
Egmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:51 PM   #200

EIS = electronic image stabilization.

It's the bastard child of OIS, which stabilizes optically and is way better. EIS basically works by cropping the image inside it's full resolution a bit, which then gives it room to move that cropped image around a little as you shake the camera -- it basically tries to track your movements. Then it takes that cropped area and scales it back up to the full resolution you are shooting at. So, although you may see improved stabilization, it's at the cost of a less-wide field of view (cause of the crop) and decreased image clarity (cause of the zoom).