Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:57 PM   #201

Egmont wrote:
Quote:
Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
Don't forget that by turning OFF EIS, you instantly get a wider field of view. Granted, not that much wider, but do the comparison yourself -- it's not insignificant either.

Curious about the generic batteries and where you guys are getting them. Also, whether you think getting a charger might be worth it? I see packages of batteries plus a charger on eBay going for pretty cheap. Seems like it might be worth it?
Ok, fill in a dummy, explain EIS? I have the Nikon 200 and never heard of it.:?
Your Nikon VR uses optical stabilization... meaning its movement is reduced by physically moving lens elements to counter the shakes. EIS, electronic image stabilization, used in most video camcorders (lower end, or really tiny models) basically crop the actual image area and nudge the captured image around to counter the shakes. the crop is so the border is used as buffer areas.

if you put your sanyo xacti on a tripod... capture two video clips with and without EIS, you'll notice that the field of view is altered slightly.

the downside to using EIS is that you reduce your resolution, since the image area is first cropped to a smaller size, than zoomed in again digitally back to the original dimension. this means with EIS on, your footage will look softer and less sharp.
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 5:00 PM   #202

I really like the camera, but I am bummed about EIS. Even smaller digital camers have optical IS.

I am already looking forward to Not yet announced HD2000

OIS

Standard wide angle lens

Smaller form factor

Better low light (below 7 lux with less noise, built in IR would be nice)

at least 3 hour battery life

klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 5:07 PM   #203

klas wrote:
Quote:
I really like the camera, but I am bummed about EIS. Even smaller digital camers have optical IS.

I am already looking forward to Not yet announced HD2000

OIS

Standard wide angle lens

Smaller form factor

Better low light (below 7 lux with less noise, built in IR would be nice)

at least 3 hour battery life

My crystal ball says OIS and 3 hour battery life may not happen with HD2000 yet.

The issue with OIS on a video camera is that its turned on much longer than it would be on the still cameras. and on my SLR, it noticably drains the batter much faster than without. I imagine the omission of OIS on xacti's are a combination of keeping the price low and battery life. Since you won't get longer battery life without having a bigger battery, and the small form factor really can't handle bigger batteries. If they do a canon HV20 sized battery, then you might as well buy a canon HV20
Old Oct 12, 2007, 5:32 PM   #204

ray301 wrote:
Quote:
My crystal ball says OIS and 3 hour battery life may not happen with HD2000 yet.

The issue with OIS on a video camera is that its turned on much longer than it would be on the still cameras. and on my SLR, it noticably drains the batter much faster than without. I imagine the omission of OIS on xacti's are a combination of keeping the price low and battery life. Since you won't get longer battery life without having a bigger battery, and the small form factor really can't handle bigger batteries. If they do a canon HV20 sized battery, then you might as well buy a canon HV20

How would you say EIS vs OIS? I realizeEIS cropping the image and possibly affects theimage quality, but does it do as well as OIS.

Also,if EIS cropping the image (sayI am recording 1280x720) what is the actual resolution will it be lower then 1280x720?

EDIT: Found a great article about EIS vs OIS if anyone interested

http://www.videomaker.com/article/7310/
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 5:44 PM   #205

klas wrote:
Quote:
ray301 wrote:
Quote:

How would you say EIS vs OIS? I realizeEIS cropping the image and possibly affects theimage quality, but does it do as well as OIS.

Also,if EIS cropping the image (sayI am recording 1280x720) what is the actual resolution will it be lower then 1280x720?
there will be no cropping with OIS, since the whole lens elements are shifted around to maintain a steady image. OIS will also not degrade your image until the movement is beyond its ability to compensate, then you'll just see shakes or blurs.

I think EIS should be not as bad with the HD resolution camcorders... but on my CA65/e1... where the output was only 640x480, it was very noticable. I'd almost guess it reduced the overall image resolution by about 10-15%

If i had a say in designing the xacti, i'd probably suggest they use a sensor with that 10-15% crop accounted for, this way it wouldn't degrade the actual output.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 6:32 PM   #206

More observations:

Just took the HD1000 outside for the first time and the colors are really nice.

The sound I just recorded was pretty sweet. Birds were chirping etc and it surprised me when the clip stopped because it seemed so real it was as if the window was open the birds were outside.

Did a fairly quick comparison inside with EIS on and then off and couldn't tell much difference but I'll do it some more at the game tomorrow.

I have a monopod I like to use and I'll tell you that I'm a much better cameraman with the monopod than without...
laked3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 1:59 AM   #207

Hi all..

Im enjoying my new HD1000.. got the UV lens straight from Henrys.. its a BH lens.. works like a charm.. dont wanna scratch the original lens..

Have a question .. I wanna buy a battery and charger too.. I noticed on ebay people have the Hd1000 battery (not sure if their compatible ones or genuine) anyhows noticed some say 1900mAh or 1700mAh... yet the Sanyo Booklet says the battery is 1200mAh.. will the higher mAh cause damage to the Xacti ?? :?
fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 3:08 AM   #208

fireworkz wrote:
Quote:
Hi all..

Im enjoying my new HD1000.. got the UV lens straight from Henrys.. its a BH lens.. works like a charm.. dont wanna scratch the original lens..

Have a question .. I wanna buy a battery and charger too.. I noticed on ebay people have the Hd1000 battery (not sure if their compatible ones or genuine) anyhows noticed some say 1900mAh or 1700mAh... yet the Sanyo Booklet says the battery is 1200mAh.. will the higher mAh cause damage to the Xacti ?? :?
Higher capacity rating will not affect your device, it just means its got more juice.

However, you should expect that 99.999% of the thirty party batteries, no matter what the mAh ratings are, to provide LESS runtime.

mAh is a meaningless number since they aren't required to back it up with proof and there is no regulation on it. If runtime is really your top concern and you have money to spare, buy original sanyo. But if you want to buy third party, i'd do my homework and see what other users say about the actual capacity of that brand (amazon comments are great for this).
Old Oct 13, 2007, 5:55 AM   #209

The battery that came with my HD1000 is 1900mah. I bought 2 of the 1700mah from eBay as well. The batteries work fine with my camera but I haven't tested capacity yet.
laked3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 9:01 AM   #210

ray301 wrote:
Quote:
mAh is a meaningless number since they aren't required to back it up with proof and there is no regulation on it. If runtime is really your top concern and you have money to spare, buy original sanyo. But if you want to buy third party, i'd do my homework and see what other users say about the actual capacity of that brand (amazon comments are great for this).
Yes,indeed. From my own experience, third party batteries do not last as long as the originals(both for holding a charge and durability/cycles). Andbased ontestimonies from other users, it seems that third party batteries claiming higher mAh ratings than the OEMs were actually the poorest performers. Knock-offs have a habit of making-up /over-inflating,their mAh ratings to help sell them. But knock-offs alsotypically cost a fraction of the OEMs,andsome can work out, but you sort ofget what you pay for.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote