Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:55 AM   #211

I've been playing with my HD1000 for couple of days and it was mostly indoor. I noticed right away that it does a lot of focus hunting in low light. I know I could set manual focus, but I foundeven betterworkaround for this small issue. Basically, assign AF Lock shortcut to one of the 4 navigation joystic keys and you are set. If you zoomed at something and your camera is focus hunting just click the assigned key and voila! LovingHD1000 even more now!

Also I did comparison of EIS and no EIS and don't see much difference in image quality.

Still not sure what wide angle lens to get. OEM one is not yet released

http://www.sanyodigital.com/accessories.aspx?v=17
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 1:45 PM   #212

Does anybody know if the docking station can be mounted to a tripod? or if you think it is possible??

It would be auesome to send a live HDMI feed from the camera and use for live switching possible. Does anybody know if if this is possible.

Thanks

ardvark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 7:47 PM   #213

ardvark1 wrote:
Quote:
Does anybody know if the docking station can be mounted to a tripod? or if you think it is possible??

It would be auesome to send a live HDMI feed from the camera and use for live switching possible. Does anybody know if if this is possible.

Thanks

I did see Tech TV talk about doing this with the HD1a/HD2... So i think its possible, but i don't think the dock can be mounted on the tripod out of the box. if you want that to happen you'll have to do some DIY work on the dock yourself
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:06 AM   #214

To all you happy HD 1000 users out there - in particular those who've also had previous Sanyo models - how bad is the lens flare? And have you seen any hint of that infamous rectangular ghost image which I and other users of the HD 1, C6 and CG65 have reported seeing on video footage, particularly when zooming in bright light conditions?

I'd appreciate a response after you look at your footage carefully. It took me two weeks to notice the ghost-like rectangle on my first CG 65; it also popped up on the replacement CG 65 I ordered. I spotted that one immediately because I knew what I was looking for. After that I couldn't STOP noticing it, so both cameras have met their maker - er, distributor, as in having been returned.

I pre-ordered the HD 700 before it struck me that the lens looks to be an exact carry-over of the one on the previous CG 65 models, and therefore likely to have similar issues. So if you gents and ladies could take a look and let me know how the HD 1000 stacks up in that department, I'd be most appreciative. If none of you has seen any of those issues, I'd be very likely to join your camp.

Thanks in advance for any responses from folks who've used this camera for some time now and gone over the picture quality with the proverbial fine-toothed comb.

IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 1:48 AM   #215

to current owners of sanyo hd1000:

1. what is the best/fastest 8gb class 4/6 sdhc card to get? transcend, patriot, adata, kingston, etc? or which one works well, writes fast?

2. how happy are you with your purchase of the hd1000 overall from a scale of 1-10 (10 being very very satisfied) is it worth $700-$800+? honestly.

i want to get this bad boy so bad, but im tryna hold off until some website does a review on it first. can't wait tho.
killahb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 4:46 AM   #216

IcelandFan wrote:
Quote:
To all you happy HD 1000 users out there - in particular those who've also had previous Sanyo models - how bad is the lens flare?

One of the guys posted some raw footage but I cant find it now. I muct have skiped past it.

I did repost his footage for you to see.

It is a cloudy day, so this is a god test for flair,and there is some flair in the way of a little blue dot when he pans the sky. You can also see a slight flair at the 15 second frame if you wach the door in the middle of the frame it tuns a little blue.

All in all the lens looks to performe a lot better than the GC65, but still not perfect.

I think one way the H264 coder saves space is any thing that is near black it just makes 100% black. Much of the shadow areas in the clip are almost pure black. It may be the coder and the sensor have low diamnic range and crush the blacks.

The footage still looks nice, this must be the look that Sanyo wants the camera to have, so we get to live with it.

http://www.jarods.com/sanyo/flair1000.zip

ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:39 PM   #217

hi - it would be awesome if a xacti hd1000 owner could post a 1080i 60fps video somewhere so we can really estimate the final quality of the video from the retail model:-)

Thanks in advance for the hero who will do that!
sonata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:46 PM   #218

ArizonaVideo wrote:
Quote:
...I think one way the H264 coder saves space is any thing that is near black it just makes 100% black. Much of the shadow areas in the clip are almost pure black. It may be the coder and the sensor have low diamnic range and crush the blacks.

The footage still looks nice, this must be the look that Sanyo wants the camera to have, so we get to live with it.

http://www.jarods.com/sanyo/flair1000.zip

Actually, I found that using the standard ffdshow h264 codec, the shadow areas looked great with visible detail. However, using the coreAVC codec, the shadow areas were all black. I was surprised at how differently the two codecs rendered the image color and gamma wise.
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:28 PM   #219

I tried to install the HD1000 software, mainly Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5SE and I can't get it activated.

Is it worth the effort or should I buy some other software?
Egmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:00 PM   #220

ray301 wrote:
Quote:
Actually, I found that using the standard ffdshow h264 codec, the shadow areas looked great with visible detail. However, using the coreAVC codec, the shadow areas were all black. I was surprised at how differently the two codecs rendered the image color and gamma wise.
That's interesting, while it's possible CoreAVC may be decoding much faster at theexpense of rendering qualityI don't see obvious differences between this video rendered with CoreAVC and ffdshow (libavcodec) on my PC. Are you sure your media player(s) are rendering in the same color space using the different codecs? Because color space (gamma) will have an impact on the perceived video contrast. Some media players render usinga PC's"overlay" renderer, which often does not share the same color space as the rest of the screen (the VMR renderers do use the color space LUTs). (Try Quicktime, it maydo it's own color space adjustment, I don't know). I have my monitor calibrated (and overlay renderer) to a gamma of 2.2. I'm pretty sure the camera must record using the standardNTSC camera gamma of 1/2.2.

EDIT: Ok, here's something to try using VLC for those who find it too dark: start VLC, goto:Settings, Preferences... (Ctrl+S); Under "Video", select "Filters" then check the "Image properties filter" checkbox; select "Image Adjust",change Image gamma a little,i.e. "1.3", click "Save". Try playing the video, it should appear brighter and dark areas should be visible if they weren't before. (Note that the gammavalue here is not final gamma butcompounded withexisting gamma.) If your monitor is properly gamma calibrated but not your "overlay" renderer, try changing the output module to a DirectX renderer (advanced options) instead.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote