Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:38 PM   #231

As a former HD1 owner, I am anxious to hear more complete details on this (potentially) exciting new model. Though very handy and well-constructed, the HD1's HD video quality was nothing to write home about. Can anyone else here vouch for the HD1000's HD video quality versus that of the HD1?
(On a related note, why is it taking so long for a detailed review from CNET or elsewhere?)
digitalhecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:51 PM   #232

I never owned HD camera before, so I can't really compare to anything, but I tried HD1000 in low/dim lightning yesterday and wasn't too impressed with 1080i mode. I guess it may've been too dim (2 lamps with total of 7 bulbs at high the brightness of 40 watt and 46" LCD) Btw, I also noticed some weird lines in the picture I couldn't figure out if it was codec or player (used QuickTime and Media Player Classic)

In any case 1080 resolution for 4 mins of shooting was 300 MB, no way I am using that mode. 720p mode is sufficient enough for amateur videos.
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 4:28 PM   #233

klas wrote:
Quote:
I never owned HD camera before, so I can't really compare to anything, but I tried HD1000 in low/dim lightning yesterday and wasn't too impressed with 1080i mode. I guess it may've been too dim (2 lamps with total of 7 bulbs at high the brightness of 40 watt and 46" LCD) Btw, I also noticed some weird lines in the picture I couldn't figure out if it was codec or player (used QuickTime and Media Player Classic)

In any case 1080 resolution for 4 mins of shooting was 300 MB, no way I am using that mode. 720p mode is sufficient enough for amateur videos.
low light mode isnt' anything to write home about, but considering the size of the camcorder its forgivable. the lines you are talking about is the 'i' in 1080i. meaning your seeing the interlacing. on a HDTV that supports 1080i output, this will be much less noticable, but on computer screens its easily picked out.

My biggest beef isn't with the low light performance, that i can understand. My beef is with the focusing at lower light settings. it actually feels a bit worse than the CG65/CA65 generation.
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 4:31 PM   #234

digitalhecht wrote:
Quote:
As a former HD1 owner, I am anxious to hear more complete details on this (potentially) exciting new model. Though very handy and well-constructed, the HD1's HD video quality was nothing to write home about. Can anyone else here vouch for the HD1000's HD video quality versus that of the HD1?
(On a related note, why is it taking so long for a detailed review from CNET or elsewhere?)
HD1000's HD output blows HD1/HD2 out of the water... there's no comparison. Its like comparing cell phone camcorder to CG65
Old Oct 16, 2007, 4:49 PM   #235

I have 46" 1080p TV that supports 1080i, but I was viewing it in Media Center PC connected to tv, so I suppose if I connect it directly via HDMI it wouldn't be noticable.

As far as low light focus hunting, I highly suggest using AF lock assigned to shortcut key. It solved my issue.
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 5:10 PM   #236

klas wrote:
Quote:
I have 46" 1080p TV that supports 1080i, but I was viewing it in Media Center PC connected to tv, so I suppose if I connect it directly via HDMI it wouldn't be noticable.

As far as low light focus hunting, I highly suggest using AF lock assigned to shortcut key. It solved my issue.
i think the saying is for anything under 40", the difference between 1080i/p isn't really that obvious... but seeing how you have a 46" tv that might be the reason. I guess your only other option is to record at 720p 60 frames/s for anything with lots of movement
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:24 PM   #237

Hello. For those who have purchased the HD1000, would you do it again knowing now what you didn't know then?

I am on the fence as far as buying one of these. I would love to see more reviews by actual owners first. I love the look of the HD1000 and the versatility. Most likely I would use mine more for stills than video but having the option of both is very appealing. Is this camera worth purchasing as a camera first/video second unit for someone who will be taking vacation and family function pictures?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Ken
doglanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:29 PM   #238

doglanta wrote:
Quote:
Hello. For those who have purchased the HD1000, would you do it again knowing now what you didn't know then?

I am on the fence as far as buying one of these. I would love to see more reviews by actual owners first. I love the look of the HD1000 and the versatility. Most likely I would use mine more for stills than video but having the option of both is very appealing. Is this camera worth purchasing as a camera first/video second unit for someone who will be taking vacation and family function pictures?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Ken
I think if your going photo first, video second... consider the exlim line from casio. they take really good video that is encoded with the h264 format (used in CG65, HD1000) and will better suite your photo taking needs. HD1000 takes ok photos, but not something i would use as a photo first device.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:01 AM   #239

Leaning towards buying HD1000 becoz of the size mainly and it takes full HD.
Also looking into the SONY HDR-CX7 which also recorded onto a flash card memory and full HD.
Do you all think the HD1000 video quality will be less superior than the CX-7 becoz of the size.
CX7 cost a lot more too. Does it mean it is more superior in terms of quality or it is just becoz you are paying for a SONY.
Appreciate your comment...
kc2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:16 AM   #240

kc2626 wrote:
Quote:
Leaning towards buying HD1000 becoz of the size mainly and it takes full HD.
Also looking into the SONY HDR-CX7 which also recorded onto a flash card memory and full HD.
Do you all think the HD1000 video quality will be less superior than the CX-7 becoz of the size.
CX7 cost a lot more too. Does it mean it is more superior in terms of quality or it is just becoz you are paying for a SONY.
Appreciate your comment...
HDR-CX7 is using the same chip as the older DV tape based model HDR-HC7... so assuming it doesn't do any worse than the older model, i'd say the sony will give you better low light performance and focusing. In well lit settings I think you'll be satisfied with either choice.