Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:08 PM   #271

klas wrote:
Quote:
anyone knows where to order wide angle adapter?

I found it on Amazon, but it's 4-6 weeks and I need one sooner

VCP-L07WU

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VCP-L07W...409&sr=8-1
I think it's not out yet anywhere. Just for preorder. It should be out in early November.
It's already in my wish list :-)
sonata1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:25 PM   #272

PeeKay wrote:
Quote:
One probably silly question, can you use the HD1000 with the screen folded down? I'm really interested in taking this skiboarding in a few months but I'd rather not be sliding down the slope with the screen out as one little tumble could be highly expensibe!!
Nope, just discovered that this weekend. That SUCKS as far as I'm concerned. It'll keep recording with it down only if the LCD is facing outward, if it's facing inward, the damn thing goes into standby. Just asked about the HD700, and that does the same thing, which is too bad. If that is real important to you, then I know for a fact my CG65 keeps recording with the screen closed. I'm going to move to a combo of HD1000 and HD700 for a project I'm doing, so I'm getting ready to sell my CG65, but I love that little cam, and this is one feature I'm really going to miss a lot.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:33 PM   #273

One more thing from a new HD1000 owner...

I think the purchase of an HD1000 vs. HD700 vs. CG65 comes down ultimately to these criteria. Now I'm oversimplifying here, but IMHO this is the bottom line if you're trying to choose:

1. Get a CG65 if you want to spend 1/2 the cash of an HD700, or possibly if you absolutely have to be able to record with the LCD closed.

2. Get an HD1000 if money is no object, you really want an external mic-in capability, and for the the improved lens (which is pretty awesome). However, DO NOT get an HD1000 if portability is important to you. Don't get me wrong, it's still small by videocam standards, but it's way bigger than a CG65 or HD700 and it's not really pocketable -- it could fit in a jacket pocket or possibly a cargo pant pocket, but not a shirt or jeans pocket. I don't think 1080i is that much of a draw over 720p personally, so to me the HD1000 is mostly about the lens, mic-in, and add-ons (lens adapters). And I think someone else said this better than me, that yes, the HD1000 is still portable and then some, but it is big enough where you might not take it as often as you would a CG65 or HD700. I actually took my CG65 out to party this weekend once despite the fact I had a brand new HD1000 sitting at home, so that ought to tell you something. Don't get me wrong either, I love it, and it's BAD-ASS, but pocketable it isn't.

3. Get an HD700 if you've got the cash to burn over a CG65 and your primary concern is pocketability.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:53 PM   #274

can anyone recommend either the HD1000 or the HD700 as a helmet camera.
I'm interested in attaching a camera to my helmet for skydiving and paragliding however, concerned that the HD1000 maybe too big. Any ideas?
morritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:07 PM   #275

My guess is the HD1000 is way too big to strap to a helmet, not to mention it's a tad expensive to be messing with it like that. The HD1000, or even the CG65 (lower price) might be a better bet for that. Although, makes me think you should be using more like a real helmet cam than one of these jobbies -- I mean one with a small mountable camera that feeds a cheap mini DV or other cam that has analog inputs. That'd be more stuff strapped to you and less resolution, and it'd be designed for helmet wearing and much more ergo in that regard.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:21 PM   #276

thanks for that. I've already got helmet cam's wired to an ordinary video camcorder however, once you've tasted HD there is no going back.
Certainly the weight of these devices makes it usable. I guess the HD1000 looks a tad awkward size however, HD700 certainly looks small enough to be mounted side of a helmet.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:22 PM   #277

morritt wrote:
Quote:
can anyone recommend either the HD1000 or the HD700 as a helmet camera.
I'm interested in attaching a camera to my helmet for skydiving and paragliding however, concerned that the HD1000 maybe too big. Any ideas?
I don't go sky diving, but I see the need for a small cam. I needed a small one for some other application and I bought the ARCHOS 605 wifi with helmet cam. The camera is about 3/4" diameter and 3" long and connects to the recordervia a wire with mic and on/off switch. It also comes with a headband that holds the camera and youstrap the recorder in/on your jacket.

PS it takes some awesome pictures and movies, not like the HD1000, but nothing to sneeze at.
Egmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:51 PM   #278

Egmont many thanks.
I've got an Archos AV500 with the helmet cam. I agree awesome setup and great with the one touch recording. Unfortunately the resolution is too low.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:37 PM   #279

I am getting slightly dissapointed in HD1000. I had a chance to use it a lot last weekendand I am not getting results that I want. Auto white balance doesn't seem to work very well and focus hunting in low lightjust gets on my nerves (As I mentioned before I use AF Lock to get the best results) Last weekend I was recording a concert with fair amount of light. (I'll post results on youtube when I get a chance)

I agree it's not small, but it IS pocketable. I managed to stick it in my jeans pocket with the lens sticking out and I was wearing very tight jeans. Most of the time I carried in my lightweight jacket's pocket.

In any case, I came to conclusion that HD1000 is just about average in every aspect for the price you pay. (size, performance, battery life) It doesn't seem excel in anything.

Oh, I also got some generic batteries from ebay and they only lasted about 30 mins.
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:16 PM   #280

Low light really taxes the HD1000... I find in lower light situations i get better results if i manually set the ISO, the auto iso tend to push too high too fast. Also, the auto white balance seems to act too fast as well... so i will manually set the white balance.

I also found that the stabilization is very depended on lighting... it works really well in bright environments, and almost completely fails when the lighting is low.

But i think as long as you know the shortcomings of the HD1000, its still a really great device considering the size.
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote