Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 28, 2007, 5:16 AM   #351

Hey Egmont, Sony Vegas 8 works brilliantly with the HD1000 files. I didnt have any trouble at all but you might try an install the k-lite codec pack, this might help. I dont know how much ivegas costs but you could download a trial verison to play around with it. Its very different to videostudio which I always used but it does the job and it does it well, its just a matter of getting used to the interface. Again thanks to laked for the heads up on this.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 6:32 AM   #352

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
[...]the audio on the AVCHD will blow away the audio on the Sanyo models[...]
That's strong wording. Most people, including myself, cannot tell the difference between uncompressed PCM CD audio and encoded 128Kbps MP3 audio. Considering that AAC provides superior quality audio than MP3 at the same bit rate, I would think that the quality of the input microphone would probablyhavea moresignificant impact on the perceived quality of the audio.

Regarding probems opening MP4s in Vegas,have alook at the other thread from timtak. I'm almost certain that Vegas uses it's included AVC plug-in codec(Main Concept) to decode AVC, not external codecs, but it mightuse Quicktime to simply handle the MP4 file container. Try installing Quicktime or Quicktime alternative to see if it helps. I can open all of the HD700 and HD1000 files in Vegas 6.0d.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 3:54 PM   #353

I got Vegas 8a to tryand while I have no issues opening HD1000 720p files, playback is jerky. I did not have that issue with Ulead 11. Do I need to change codec or something? I am pretty new at this

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"All I did is I opened 720p sample and clicked play, Audio is fine, but Video is skipping in the preview window
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:03 PM   #354

klas wrote:
Quote:
I got Vegas 8a to tryand while I have no issues opening HD1000 720p files, playback is jerky. I did not have that issue with Ulead 11. Do I need to change codec or something? I am pretty new at this

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"All I did is I opened 720p sample and clicked play, Audio is fine, but Video is skipping in the preview window
This is a problem if you are a PAL user, these cams are not suitable for editing in PAL system countries, the cameras are sold here in the UK and can output footage in PAL via the AV/out but if you want to digitally edit and output in standard PAL 25fps HD/SD forget it, it will look Jerky, these cams record in 30fps, NTSC standard and are not PAL land compatible, Sanyo has some serious issues with this, as here in the UK it could be classed as "not fit for purpose"

Make sure all your editing output is in NTSC standard at 30fps
glesgaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:03 PM   #355

ray301 wrote:
Quote:
Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Just in case some don't know (assuming most of you do), warehouse123 is in Hong Kong, which means you couldhave additional brokerage fees, duties and taxes applied at the border and most importantlyyou will not be covered bythe manufacturer warranty (Sanyo)... just so you know. Simply pointingit out because their web site does not make this clear and some may not be aware.
Just FYI, the both time i've bought from them... they've declared the value of the package to be like 85 bucks USD on the shipping forms (i didn't ask them to do this for me). So both times i didn't have to pay the actual duty on the stuff... i think maybe 13 dollars or so for the Canadian sales tax.

Your experiences may differ from mine, so keep what Caelum said in mind when ordering
So they declared the value much lower? Not sure it they did that for my package. I did ask for insurance for shipping with FedEx when i ordered (FOC for insurance though). How would they declared lower if there is insurance involved.
Now worry that my package will be detained for duty clearance at custom checkpoint. Hope the full value is not declared with asking for insurance.. If not up for a high duty. :sad:
kc2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:36 AM   #356

When you render full hd HD1000 files in videostudio to a full hd 60fps output the resultant file does not work. I tried everything and its a no go. If it did work they would have shipped videostudio as standard like all the other xacti models, instead we get moviestudio which is rubbish.

The files preview ok in videostudio, its only when you convert the problem occurs.

Regarding import duty, I bought from Digital Rev in hong kong and I was charged 80euro import duty. I was expecting it so it was ok, still cheaper than what I would pay for here by far.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:59 PM   #357

There appears to be resolution to those that had problems with Sony Vegas and HD1000 files.

The fix is to install the latest version of Quicktime.

The discussion is here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=27

laked3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 12:31 AM   #358

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
[...]the audio on the AVCHD will blow away the audio on the Sanyo models[...]
That's strong wording. Most people, including myself, cannot tell the difference between uncompressed PCM CD audio and encoded 128Kbps MP3 audio. Considering that AAC provides superior quality audio than MP3 at the same bit rate, I would think that the quality of the input microphone would probablyhavea moresignificant impact on the perceived quality of the audio.
16-bit PCM blows away 128Kbps AAC by definition. Not sure there's much arguing to be done on that one. I didn't say anything about whether you'd be perfectly happy with the 128 or not, but there is no question about which one has better quality. One thing to remember also is for anyone who is going to edit their material, 128 sucks just that much worse because you're going to end up re-compressing an already super-compressed audio signal. Lossy on lossy is bad enough, but when you're starting with 128Kbps, it's particularly bad. Anyway, didn't mean to start anything about it, but I'd take 16-bit PCM anyday. Doesn't mean I wouldn't deliver to the web at 128Kbps myself, but c'mon, 128Kbps is pretty low when I'm already pumping 9 or 12 mbps out of the camera. Why not devote a little more of tha bandwidth to audio? I'd take a little tradeoff in that camp anyday. Too bad we can't control our own bitrates with these cams, then you could use was works for you, and someone like me could devote more bandwidth to audio.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 6:51 AM   #359

I really like the ability to take 2megapixel photos while recording video on the HD1000 (full HD) without the video freezing for a second or two. This is really great, I used to extract stills from the video with my CG65 but the resolution was not great, the new feature is fantastic, I can now take reasonably good stills without interrupting the video. I know it may sound useless to some but I have used it quite a bit over the weekend and am delighted with the results.

After quite a bit of testing with the HD1000 over the weekend I can say that I am very pleased with it. The portability is more of an issue than I thought, it is quite big, I used to bring my CG65 everywhere with me but not my HD1000, just a liitle too big for my pocket.

The slow/fast zoom did not work as well as I thought it would, its very sensitive and theres a noticeable jump when moving from optical to digital, not nice!

Quality of the full HD is really great and since I got sony vegas to edit the files I am quite happy.

The ergonomics of the HD1000 are much better, it feels like you are holding a proper camera, easier to handle than the smaller CG65.

Just looking at the spec of the HD700 I am happy I went with the HD1000 as the bit rate is better which in theory makes for better quality video and of course the better resolution. It will be good to see a review with a direct compairson.

Anyway, thats just another tit bit of info for all you prospective buyers.....
Old Oct 30, 2007, 5:18 PM   #360

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
ardvark1 wrote:
Quote:
I see that the 16 Gig SDHC cards are out now for about $169 CDN, do you know if this camera will support it??
Don't know; I doubt anyone will have had a chance to test it yet, but there should be no reason why they wouldn't work. The camera must follow the SDHC standard, and since it'sbasically a FAT32 file system implementation the camera should be able to handle any size standard SDHC (not a fake).

BTW newegg has one for around US$150.

Taynt3d, thanks for the workflow breakdown! Good to know. I make my movies with the MP4s directly in Vegas, but of course my projects arefairly straightforward / simple. Iwas surprised that it was still manageable with the 720p MP4s. I also just realized I can make very good quality fullscreen videos from the widescreen footage simply by croping the widescreen (works out to, umm, about 960 x 720 input resolution), pan and scanas needed.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...facture=Others

ardvark1 is offline   Reply With Quote